LegacyGT.com

Manual Swap into a car with an Automatic

Hello all!

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong area, if it is, could you please direct me to the proper area? Thanks.

Anyway, I'm buying a 2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon, great car. Issue is, it has an automatic. How would one swap a manual into an automatic car?

Thanks in advanced!

Search, its on here. BTW, To the best of my reading, know one has figured out how to get CC to work afterwards.

Google that swap

Dave Brady at ESP in sterling MA did the first one years ago. He's still there I think, Enhanced Street Performance.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Welcome to the community. The mechanical swap is fairly straightforward, electronics are a different story. In addition to the transmission, you'll need a matching set of steering column, ecu, keys, and locks to complete the swap. As MC said, Many have researched the swap (myself included), several have actually went through with it, and no one as far as we know has ended up with a completely functional, code free (other that expected), and with cruise control working car. There are a few differences in the transmission tunnel also. But you can do it!

Welcome to the community. The mechanical swap is fairly straightforward, electronics are a different story. In addition to the transmission, you'll need a matching set of steering column, ecu, keys, and locks to complete the swap. As MC said, Many have researched the swap (myself included), several have actually went through with it, and no one as far as we know has ended up with a completely functional, code free (other that expected), and with cruise control working car. There are a few differences in the transmission tunnel also. But you can do it!

I understand the ECU part, but why would the steering column need to be switched?

I'll be sure to look at other posts here as well.

Because of the immobilizer in the key. I think you need a new matching gauge cluster as well because of the immobilizer. I think it is a lot more trouble than it's worth. Good luck.

Yeah gauge cluster also. I also forgot to add in the ABS pump needs swapped to one from a manual car also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You don't actually have to swap the column. . . you can use the AT column no problem. The ignition lock cylinder on AT cars has a park interlock solenoid that can be disabled, MT cars use the push-in-turn-back-to-lock type. . . so running the AT lock in a MT car means you will no longer have the Ralph Nader requisite ignition interlock to prevent you from accidentally shutting the car off at speed and locking the steering wheel, so just don't do that. It's not mission critical.

However, it's one of those things that is pretty trivial if you're undertaking a swap of that magnitude.

I've sold 2 "swap kits" (transmission & all related components) to ambitious 5EAT owners who want to add that 3rd pedal. I've stripped the donor cars and I could put a host car back together if needed, but so far nobody's asked. Me personally I'd just get or trade for a car with the trans I wanted to begin with as it's easily 20-30 hours of work that adds no significant value to the car.

Only personal swaps I would consider would be to put drivelines in subies that didn't come with them to begin with, like a manual trans into an SVX, STi swap in an RS coupe, 6 speed into a 5MT car, that sorta thing.

If you want an 06 Legacy wagon with MT, they build those.

hard to find, but they're out there. Easier to find Outbacks than legacy wagons though.

You don't actually have to swap the column. . . you can use the AT column no problem. The ignition lock cylinder on AT cars has a park interlock solenoid that can be disabled, MT cars use the push-in-turn-back-to-lock type. . . so running the AT lock in a MT car means you will no longer have the Ralph Nader requisite ignition interlock to prevent you from accidentally shutting the car off at speed and locking the steering wheel, so just don't do that. It's not mission critical.

However, it's one of those things that is pretty trivial if you're undertaking a swap of that magnitude.

I've sold 2 "swap kits" (transmission & all related components) to ambitious 5EAT owners who want to add that 3rd pedal. I've stripped the donor cars and I could put a host car back together if needed, but so far nobody's asked. Me personally I'd just get or trade for a car with the trans I wanted to begin with as it's easily 20-30 hours of work that adds no significant value to the car.

Only personal swaps I would consider would be to put drivelines in subies that didn't come with them to begin with, like a manual trans into an SVX, STi swap in an RS coupe, 6 speed into a 5MT car, that sorta thing.

If you want an 06 Legacy wagon with MT, they build those.

hard to find, but they're out there. Easier to find Outbacks than legacy wagons though.

Yeah, I found a manual for $6500, so it would be cheaper just to buy that instead of a $5000 for an automatic.

Archived