LegacyGT.com

Sirius install, finally done

fweasel

So I've been working on this project on/off for 3 months now. I would rather something sit in a pile of parts on the living room floor than be installed half ass in the car. I finally got the ambition to finish the install today (read wife was tired of not listening to Stern on the way to work) and took a crappy a$$ camer phone pic to cap it off.:lol: I managed to avoid the Rao method of fine tuning by keeping the hammer out of reach at all times.

http://www.photodump.org/stored13/siriuscubby1.JPG

http://www.photodump.org/stored13/siriusinstalled.jpg

ignore him, he'll go away.

Looks great.

I made a mistake by getting the sportster 4. No good place to put it.

Thanks. I picked the GTR because it was black w/ a blue screen, thought it looked a little more low key when installed. Added bonus was that they made a single din install kit for it. Took quite a bit of dremel action and some cardbord cut-outs, but it fits perfectly and the door closes no problem.

Nice!!!

Is that a cubby pod blank you used to to fill the gaps?

I have XM...a terk commander and used the mounting plate that came with it...worked like a charm!!

Rehab is for quitters.

Nice!!!

Is that a cubby pod blank you used to to fill the gaps?

I have XM...a terk commander and used the mounting plate that came with it...worked like a charm!!

No cubby pod, just the install kit they sell to match this receiver

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIRIUS-Starmate-Replay-or-Streamer-GTR-PRO-CAR-KIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ170108875473QQihZ007QQcategoryZ20350QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does it give at all when you push in the buttons? Or do you use the remote?

No, strong like bull.

Nice job!

What did you use to secure it in place, did you go: secure plate to cubby and then sirius to plate? or visa versa?

Again, looks nice, i like the flush look :) .

Flush is where it's at:lol: The Sirius install kit was a din shaped plate with the receiver face cut-out and then had its own retaining clips built-in... so the receiver just snapped into the trim plate. After cutting and notching the plate to fint into the cubby, I used a small bead of JB weld along the top edge from the backside of the assembly. There was a nice little lip at the opening of the cubby itself to support the top of the din plate. The bottom of the plate rests nicely against the widespart of the cubby, right below the two hinges. I had planned on using some silicone as adhesive so it could be removed and reverted back to stock, but everything fit so tightly, there is no play at the bottom.

Guest Gitster
Flush is where it's at:lol: The Sirius install kit was a din shaped plate with the receiver face cut-out and then had its own retaining clips built-in... so the receiver just snapped into the trim plate. After cutting and notching the plate to fint into the cubby, I used a small bead of JB weld along the top edge from the backside of the assembly. There was a nice little lip at the opening of the cubby itself to support the top of the din plate. The bottom of the plate rests nicely against the widespart of the cubby, right below the two hinges. I had planned on using some silicone as adhesive so it could be removed and reverted back to stock, but everything fit so tightly, there is no play at the bottom.

Does that ebay kit allow you to remove the radio ? I guess I need to know if all the connections (power, aux, antenna) plug into the existing ports on the radio or are there new ports on the trim plate ?? I just have very little room on either side where everything plus into, if there was a way to just be able to plug them straight in the back instead of the side of the radio, I think things would fit a little easier. Thanks.

Does that ebay kit allow you to remove the radio ?

Not really, once its snapped in, its pretty difficult to get back out. Definately not a multi-car set-up.

I guess I need to know if all the connections (power, aux, antenna) plug into the existing ports on the radio or are there new ports on the trim plate ?? I just have very little room on either side where everything plus into, if there was a way to just be able to plug them straight in the back instead of the side of the radio, I think things would fit a little easier.

Like Rao said, all the connections are on the side. It was a tough fit to begin with as far as width was concerned. I had to shave down the power and audio connectors to bare wire and resolder some connections to lower their profile.

The new unit with the universal dock would be more easily removed, all connections are on the bottom. The problem is that the dock adds too much height to the install and doesn't fit into the cubby without modificaton. I bought one and had it apart in pieces. I was looking to graft the dock mechanism into the cubby itself, or possibly open up the top of the cubby to make more room. I decided that was too much work and found another way.

I have the Starmate 4 with the docking station and yes it will fit in the cubby. All you do is put the bottom in first and then put the top part in. It wedges itself in tight enough to be able to push the buttons without popping out.

It wasn't direct to you sebberry. Some people are saying that the plug and play units won't fit in the cubby because of the docking station. But the starmate 4 fits in nicely.

I have the home kit at work and I just have to pop out the unit and flip the door down and the dock is hidden. When I leave work it's just as easy to pop it on the dock and wedge it back in to it's spot.

Nice install fweasel... hoping to do the same myself.

Sirius thinks they're being all slick with their docking kits, but all it does is add bulk which is a nusiance to fit anywhere if you don't want a big honking radio unit dangling from suction cups on their windshield

*irritated rant over... sorry for the threadjack!*

Archived