LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

But was that from wot in 5th or wot shifting to 5th?

Driving in normal auto mode on highway, was in 5th. Would have to be going pretty fast at for a WOT shift from 4th to 5th in normal auto mode.

I was looking for more of an explanation, not just a short response ;)

I sure CD could answer the technical part better, but I believe 4th & 5th have fewer clutches and share an input shaft. I had to have my case machined so they could add extra 4th & 5th gear clutches.

• Mega Users

I'm having a used 5eat installed to replace mine that is breaking. I'll be getting your valve body upgrade when I return from my summer internship.

The shop doing the install recommended I replace the Axle Seals, the pump seal, and a new filter kit.

I know the Axle Seal is straight forward but not sure about the pump seal and filter kit. Does the filter kit entail screens and filters inside the tranny? Also not sure where the pump is.

So, for the FAQ...what should I do to properly prep a used 5eat to increase its longevity?

Where are you at in the process of upgrading the clutch packs for the 5eat, specifically for a 05-06?

And what do you think the power limits will end up being?

I love having a automatic for an everyday driver and would like to be able to have a 500hp legacy wagon 5eat sleeper!!!!! :icon_evil

Why does my car hold 1st gear on occassion when I WOT from a standing start in auto mode? It will rev to redline, hit it once or twice, then shift into second. It doesn't do it all the time, only sometimes, and it almost never does it if I WOT from a standing start in manual mode

Why does my car shift itself before I can when WOT in manual mode. It will also register my shift so what ends up happening is it revs to redline, shifts itself, then because I had already shifted it up, it goes into 3rd almost a second later

That's a combination of shitty shifting logic and not being able to shift fast enough (when you end up hitting redline in 1st). It's not uncommon for modded autos to do that sort of thing. Mine does it too once or twice every year. If it happens, it happens if I haven't floored it in a very very long time.

I hear that subaru recommends pressing the accelerator a little while manual downshifting to speed up the shift, like rev matching. The more you can equalize the engine speed with the speed of the car in the gear you want to go into will make a smooth downshift. Some downshifts are hard even in a healthy 5eat

no it's not dangerous :rolleyes: equalizing engine speed(at very small, to no loads) to car speed while shifting results in the least amount of friction. engine braking is fine(also called dynamic braking). and ecu and tcu will not allow you to overrev or switch to a lower gear causing overrev. Edited by bmx045

• Mega Users

You won't really over rev on a downshift since the tcu won't let you. You can downshift and end up at redline though bouncing off the limiter. I've done that a couple times from just pressing the wrong button by accident.

Engine braking isn't bad. I think you'd have to be towing to over do it.

People, people, people!

It's an auto ffs, you have 2 jobs: hit the gas or hit the brake, depending on need.

Anything above and beyond that, if you want to dick around, get a MT

07-09 will revmatch on downshifts, 05-06 I have yet to hear of a failed transmission because it didn't like to be downshifted.

Why does my car hold 1st gear on occassion when I WOT from a standing start in auto mode? It will rev to redline, hit it once or twice, then shift into second. It doesn't do it all the time, only sometimes, and it almost never does it if I WOT from a standing start in manual mode

Why does my car shift itself before I can when WOT in manual mode. It will also register my shift so what ends up happening is it revs to redline, shifts itself, then because I had already shifted it up, it goes into 3rd almost a second later

Second question is one of the bigger complaints I have with out cars. If you kee an eye on the gear indicator and rome when going wot 1st gear in manual mode, the indicator jumps to 2 at a MUCH lower rpm then redline. I'm talking just under 5k sometimes. Drives me nuts. Not ideal but I usually just let it shift itself out of first. 09 valve body + the manual mode shift interface being tighter, I wouldnt be jealous of an MT.

when in manual mode and S# for 08+, it will shift at redline. if the gear indicator changes gears it doesnt mean its now in that gear. it's probably to inform you when the tcu prepares for the upoming shift. atleast in mine, i have an mt map flashed on my car.

So to clarify... General consensus is engine braking isn't hard on the 5EAT? I really only do it because I love the sound of my exhaust.

Like SeaBass said, it doesn't damage it. I do it all the time... probably pisses people off since I slow down with using the brakes.. thus no brake lights :p

And the TCU won't let you shift if it's going to do damage to the engine (as far as going past the redline). In our 5eats, the tranny should go before the engine.