LegacyGT.com

Subaru Factory 5/60K Extended Warranty.....

TLS

Any thoughts on it? I did a search for "extended warranty" and the most recent was over 2 weeks ago and didn't really address the cost/value aspects. Currently SOA is offering to up the "Bumper to Bumper" to 5years or 60K miles for $599 at the time of purchase. I'm just worried about the CD player taking a dump at 37months or 37K miles and us having to pay out the butt for little "Subaru Specific" items such as this. Is the $599 worth the additional 2 years and 24K mile coverage? BTW, walking in @ 4:45PM on a Saturday sitting in the one we want for 3 minutes and telling the salesman to "sharpen his pencil" and give us his bottom line netted $200 over invoice on the first shot! Every option we wanted, none that we didn't, our first color choice (GR Pearl), and a decent first offer. We are.....|<----------->| this close to selling the Volv0 for $2600 more than any dealers highest price offered on trade-in.

BUMP.... Does this section NOT get any views? Doesn't anyone use the "View posts since last visit", which shows ALL active threads in ALL forums? I thought that almost 12 hrs would get at least some replies.

I think there have been some warranty discussions in the past. The consensus seems to be with the Subaru... go with the factory warranty, nothing more. They're pretty reliable, so it's more likely to be $$ in the dealer's pocket with nothing to fix. There might be little things that crop up, but the odds of you spending more on repairs between the time the factory warranty expires and your extended warranty expires seems to be in favor of the dealer. (PS -- I do "View all since last visit")

Thanks Racerdave, I did do a search, and nothing recent came up. Just two pages of results from anything "extended" to standard warranty issues. I do remember someone talking about an aftermarket extended warranty, and I believe it was up around $1200 or something. Thats the only thread I remember about it. Just seeing the problems were having with the Volv0 around the 50K mark, has me thinking that six hundred for 2 more years/24K miles is quite worth it. I was thinking that this six hundred is less than I remember it being in that particular thread I remembered. As for "popular sections" withen the forum, lots of my other forums that I belong to have more popular "sections" that it seems like everyone just visits that section and no others......missing posts like this.

What Volvo model? We have a V70 and (knock on wood) it's been good and going on 60k. If we had gotten a warranty to 60k, the dealer would've made $$ on us. No surprise though... it's just like the "law of large numbers" as seen in Vegas, and it's the same with extended warranties... eventually, inexorably, the odds will side with the house. Otherwise they wouldn't be offering the extended warranty if they were going to lose money.

It's an '01 s-4O Biggest POS ever made. Definately a Monday car. Definately after the big Buy One Get One Free Hash sale in the Netherlands the weekend before! She has a service folder that she has for it. Kept everything. I think it was in 18 times! Some for the same thing. Never was a problem keeping up with maintenance, as it was constantly in for something else.

Not sure if it still happens, but I did not buy the extended warranty on my WRX. A few months later, I received a letter from Subaru offering the extended warranty quite a bit cheaper than the dealer was asking. You can always buy an extended warranty after you purchase the car, so you at least have extra time to make a decision. I was looking at the 100K mile warranty, and I think the dealer wanted $1300, while the letter from subaru asked $950 or something.

This offer (new as of Sept 1st) is Six hundred when you get it at time of purchase. It is Nine Hundred if bought after you buy the car. Sales tactic? Don't know. But this salesman wasn't a "salesman" and didn't try offering rust proofing, polymer coatings, etc. So, though the dealership probably gets a kickback on selling these Factory extended warranties, I think he was just passing on new or changed info, as he also mentioned the new 2.9% financing.

I wouldn't (and didn't) pop for the Subaru warranty. I had it for my WRX, and it covered the replacement of one front door lock cylinder. I would call that poor value, frankly. :lol: Subarus are inherently reliable cars. And generally, if a car is going to be a clunker, it will manifest itself early in its life. The factory warranty will be fine. Consumer Reports actually advocates starting your own "warrany fund," rather than popping for any types of factory warranties. Then, once the car is out of warranty, you have a grand or two in the fund, if you need it. Kevin

[quote name='racerdave']... it's just like the "law of large numbers" as seen in Vegas, and it's the same with extended warranties... eventually, inexorably, the odds will side with the house. Otherwise they wouldn't be offering the extended warranty if they were going to lose money.[/quote] Bingo. The warranty price is based off the average costs that they expect to reimburse plus administrative expenses plus a profit margin. So if you think you're likely to incur above average costs (i.e. you abuse your car) then the warranty might be worth it. Otherwise not. The other reason for getting it would be if you are risk averse (i.e. opposite of a gambler). Meaning the $600 is worth it for the peace of mind knowing you're covered if the engine blows at 40k. Me, I take decent care of my cars and I'm willing to take the risk and save the $600.

Archived