LegacyGT.com

check engine light having to do with cruise control?

Hi, this is my first post. I bought my 05 Legacy GT 5spd 2 days ago and every hundred miles after I get my computer reset the check engine light comes on and the cruise control light starts blinking nonstop. I am unable to use the cruise control feature for some reason and it works fine before the check engine light comes on. I don't know whether I should be worried about this check engine light being on because the engine seems to sound fine with no problems. when I hooked it up to the diagnostic machine it said something about a fuel sensor but I cannot remember the specific reading and it had nothing to do with my cruise control. Can anybody help me out?

whenever the CEL is on cruise control is always going to deactivate no matter what the code is. you may want to do some reading about these cars there is TONS of great info on this forum alone, either way, welcome!

Thanks!

I don't know whether I should be worried about this check engine light being on because the engine seems to sound fine with no problems. when I hooked it up to the diagnostic machine it said something about a fuel sensor but I cannot remember the specific reading and it had nothing to do with my cruise control. Can anybody help me out?

You should always figure out what the root cause of a check engine light is and fix it. Get the code pulled again, write it down, and search this site, either with the built in search feature, or go to google and search "site:legacygt.com [check engine code]."

Has anyone found a way to enable the cruise control despite the cel?

I have a recurring PO442 code which will require having the gas tank replaced/repaired. (As you know this means dropping the rear suspension).

It does not affect the cars driveability and only occurs after about 300 kilometres after I reset.

Uhh...not necessarily. Most all of the evap system is accessible in the LR fenderwell under the inner fender liner. You may want to examine all of your hoses to see if they have a crack or hole in them that's setting the code. I have a complete extra evap canister and hoses for an 05 if you find the leak. It only takes a hole .04" in diameter to cause the cel to set. We could work out a deal on the necessary pieces.

Has anyone found a way to enable the cruise control despite the cel?

I have a recurring PO442 code which will require having the gas tank replaced/repaired. (As you know this means dropping the rear suspension).

It does not affect the cars driveability and only occurs after about 300 kilometres after I reset.

Short of actually fixing it... you could use an OBII cable to pull the ROM and disable the code using romraider, then reflash the modified ROM back onto the ECU. That will make the ECU ignore the CEL completely.

Certainly not advisable to ignore it.

Archived