LegacyGT.com

What struts? upgrade or stay stock?

98 L GT Limited daily driver

So need to replace my struts, i think that they are so bad that they are not letting the car be aligned correctly which just ate threw my tires within 6mnths.

Anyways, i can get a full set of kyb gr2 struts off ebay for 335 shipped(autozone wanted like 450)

or stock OE replacement off ebay for 180 shipped (seems very cheap, probably junk)

Or i could get these EMUSA coilovers for $450 http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SUBARU-COILOVERS-SUSPENSION-KIT-IMPREZA-WRX-STREET-TRACK-EMUSA-/110968730732?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AImpreza%7CMake%3ASubaru&hash=item19d640746c&vxp=mtr

Or i could get the kyb gr2 with lowering springs for a little more then the racelands? would be around $540

What would be my best bet?

I feel it would be a lot easier to put the racelands in because i would not have to take apart the struts. And if my struts are bad should i replace the springs as well? They are probably original.

Plus i will be able to lower the car to get (in my opinion) a more aesthetically pleasing stance.

any thoughts?

Would i need other parts 2 do this as far as alignment goes? Like rear camber adjustment bolts?

Are racelands complete junk or what? Not going to be tracking, just daily driving, and drifting in the snow! haha

My struts are basically shot. My car floats over 50mph and fall over whenever I take a turn.. So, I bought these instead of spending $450 on brand new KYB's.

They would lower our cars by 1/4" to 1/"2.

I can't afford to use them because I have a good set of struts on my sedan that I can use and I need money to repair/replace other things. Just had to spend $106 on ball joints the other day and did a head gasket/water pump/ cam seal job yesterday.

I'll PM you on price. And no, you will need 93 to 07 front top hats and 04 to 07 rear top hats. Both from an impreza.

I am kind of looking to do this quick, and dont really have the time to search around for top hats and all that. Need to get this fixed so i can get an alignment and new tires. Bands are showing through!

thanks tho man, if i wasnt in such a rush i would take you up on the offer!

The snow is never all that bad where i am. Upsate NY. They are pretty good about keeping the roads clean! but i do like to hit the occasional un-plowed parking lot! haha

I just feel the coilovers would save me a lot of work i don't want to do. Last time i tried to remove springs from original subaru struts with 180k mi on them they would not come off. Ended up destroying the struts with a acetylene torch.

And i dont want to like drop it to the ground, just maybe an inch or so to take up some of the wheel well gap is all. Going to add some rear camber bolts with this as well. Think i am going to just go with the cheap coilovers. Only plan to have the car for another year anyways, then getting an 04 forester XT and doing the sti upgrade. So as long as these last me a year i will be happy.

Archived