LegacyGT.com

transmission filter

i have a 2009 2.5i 4AT legacy. people said the transmission filter is located behind the battery by the fender wall. I took the battery out and I can't seem to locate it. Do all legacy turbo and non-turbo have the filter in the same location? what is strange is that the 2009 service manual don't seem to show anything about changing the filter for the 4 speed, only on the 5 speed tranny.

Same here, right by the drain oil. And do not be tempted to use an oil filter for the tranny filter it will leak. The tranny filter is expensive, but you won't really have to change it again. Go OEM.

X

---

i got the OEM filter. but the only problem i have is finding where the filter is. i followed the oil cooler lines but they go directly from the tranny to the cooler and looked around the drain plug area but don't see any filter.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 09 2.5i Ltd. After much research I discovered that subaru removed it in late 07. For 08 they used a plate to block off the old filter location and then for 09 They removed it all together. There is just nothing but a blank area on the trans now.

Apparently the proximity to and resemblance of an oil filter was causing too many issues. So they pulled it.

I have a 09 2.5i Ltd. After much research I discovered that subaru removed it in late 07. For 08 they used a plate to block off the old filter location and then for 09 They removed it all together. There is just nothing but a blank area on the trans now.

Apparently the proximity to and resemblance of an oil filter was causing too many issues. So they pulled it.

so there is no filter is was it moved internally?

I know on mine, 2.5 auto SE, there is nothing there as you said. just a LOCATION as if something was there.

so there is no filter is was it moved internally?

I know on mine, 2.5 auto SE, there is nothing there as you said. just a LOCATION as if something was there.

There essentially no filter any longer.

There is a screen/mesh inside the trans pan but as I know it, it is a lifetime part and wont make any difference to change it out.

I was a bit ticked off when I learned this, I was going to change it(the lost filter) as part of my 30K service.

I guess the best we can do now is just drain and fill. Maybe a couple times to drain as much as possible.

There is no filter to replace on the newer ones. Just a simple screen on the pick up in the trans. The best thing is to drain and fill like people have said. You get about 1 gallon out every time you drain the system. Best process is drain, fill, drive around for a few days, then do it again. 3 times gets most of it out but as long as you are maintaining it you will be fine. Most important thing is do not over fill the trans as it will cause more issues than it is worth.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 3 years later...

Just replaced this on my dad's '06 3.0.

Definitely buy a quality filter, this thing feels way thicker and tougher than a typical oil filter. The factory one was on so tight an oil filter would have ripped apart, and you can't really get a band wrench in there. Luckily I had one of those tools with the two sides that grip tighter as you turn it with a ratchet (or 3/8" breaker).

Just replaced this on my dad's '06 3.0.

Definitely buy a quality filter, this thing feels way thicker and tougher than a typical oil filter. The factory one was on so tight an oil filter would have ripped apart, and you can't really get a band wrench in there. Luckily I had one of those tools with the two sides that grip tighter as you turn it with a ratchet (or 3/8" breaker).

Buy the Subaru ATF Filter. It may look the same as a regular oil filter but it is in fact different inside.

-mike

Buy the Subaru ATF Filter. It may look the same as a regular oil filter but it is in fact different inside.

-mike

We did. I just said "quality" because I cannot speak to the quality of the aftermarket brands, they do sell them for about half what the OEM costs but we didn't take a chance on a once in a lifetime part.

We did. I just said "quality" because I cannot speak to the quality of the aftermarket brands, they do sell them for about half what the OEM costs but we didn't take a chance on a once in a lifetime part.

I think most places/guides will point you to the oil filter for the ATF filter for some reason because it's the same size.

-mike

Check the fender well for a remote filter.

-mike

Yeah, checked that the first day I got the car, nothing. Just did another preventive maintenance drain and refill last weekend, definitely shifting smoother. Ehh... guessing its just fine without the filter. Maybe once the CPO warranty expires, I will remove the plate and attempt to install the filter... maybe.

Yeah, checked that the first day I got the car, nothing. Just did another preventive maintenance drain and refill last weekend, definitely shifting smoother. Ehh... guessing its just fine without the filter. Maybe once the CPO warranty expires, I will remove the plate and attempt to install the filter... maybe.

Usually means that you have a Trans with an internal filter in the pan. Just keep draining and filling every 30k with Motul or redline. Shoot us an email if you need any fluids and we can drop ship em to you.

Mike

Sales@AZPInstalls.com

Archived