LegacyGT.com

Twisty's Dumb Questions (aka Smokey's progress thread)

no they aren't really shorter. the rear might be. i have 05 wrx struts on mine and it didn't lower it any in the front but it did in the rear by about .5". thats what everyone is referring to when they say "saggy butt".
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i already have saggy butt on mine, but im sure its due to bad struts and/ or springs. i have to replace them in the next couple weeks for a trip to michigan, so im really trying to figure out the best way to proceed and still get a bit lower. seems like the h&r lowering springs and new struts are going to be the way i have to go, since the raceland coilovers arent due to ship until the week before im leaving. that wouldnt leave me much time for install and tweaking.

• 3 weeks later...

well, its running again. did the cam seals, crank seal and the oil pump stuff. weird thing is, the sucker had a new gates TB in it, as well as a brand new water pump. the person thaat changed everything must have been a moron tho, he didnt do any of the seals or even clean the areas, anad he left one of the water pump bolts out.

today im putting new struts/ springs on it, then im leaving for michigan tomorrow. yeehaw, im not even close to ready...

• 4 weeks later...
so the p0301&302 codes were taken care of by the new timing sprocket. drove the car about 5000 miles from az to upper mich over the past few weeks for a vacation, car did great. only major hitch from it is the blend door is busted or something, the ac still blows cold but it is split between the floor and the defrost. if i push the defrost only button it will go only up, but any of the other buttons and it is window and floor time. i was looking for a DiY ive seen mentioned here a few times about changing or working on the ac control thing, but i cant seem to find anything but the bulb replace DiY. any links?

• 1 month later...

car is running great, but i think the timing belt i chose is giving me a whine or three now that its run a while. kind of annoying but i guess ill have to deal with it for a while.

the grounding kit has been done but i havent really seen much change to anything with it. i think im going to revisit the original points and see how badly they are worn/ connected to see if that matters.

now, for another dumb question. are the exhaust ports for the 2.2 and 2.5 the same? as in, will the header for one fit the other? im not sure if i want to bother with a header on my car, but it is a pretty cheap option overall i think. decent ones can be had for under 200 bucks from what ive seen. anyone have a header of choice that they have used or think would be a good fit?

so theres a guy with a 92 awd legacy wagon for sale here without an engine. its in pieces, but he says the frame is straight and never been in an accident. its an automatic trans tho, and i havent seen the condition of the interior or anything. i can pick it up for 300, mebbe less if i can convince him its worthless. not sure what he parted off of it for his car beyond the engine. still trying to decide if i want that much of a puzzle project or not.

car is running great, but i think the timing belt i chose is giving me a whine or three now that its run a while. kind of annoying but i guess ill have to deal with it for a while.

the grounding kit has been done but i havent really seen much change to anything with it. i think im going to revisit the original points and see how badly they are worn/ connected to see if that matters.

now, for another dumb question. are the exhaust ports for the 2.2 and 2.5 the same? as in, will the header for one fit the other? im not sure if i want to bother with a header on my car, but it is a pretty cheap option overall i think. decent ones can be had for under 200 bucks from what ive seen. anyone have a header of choice that they have used or think would be a good fit?

For the grounding kit to work effectively, it is imperative that all the ground points in the engine bay are as free of rust as humanly possible. Upon doing this, I noticed a significant change in the clarity of my radio & less hesitation when I start the car.

For the exhaust ports, it goes like this.

EJ22E from 1990 to 1995 have dual port like ALL EJ25Ds while the 1996-2001 EJ22E/2 all have single port for the exhaust part of the cylinder head.

If you want to buy an exhaust header that works VERY WELL for TQ & sounds excellent, the EBay UEL header will do. It has to be muscled in a little bit but it is an incredible piece. Good welds, stainless steel, good quality all around. I'd grind away at the inner excess piping for more flow though. Wrap it with heat wrap. It increases the under-hood temperature.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/Kenshin1984/The%20new%20car%20of%202011/0804011054.jpg

^ - What the UEL eBay manifold looks like when it's installed.

Edited by DOHCEJ22E1

For the grounding kit to work effectively, it is imperative that all the ground points in the engine bay are as free of rust as humanly possible. Upon doing this, I noticed a significant change in the clarity of my radio & less hesitation when I start the car.

yeah, i sanded the paint off of the points that were painted, and the bare engine points are rust/ grime free as well. im going to go back and revisit those points, as well as the factory points to see what kind of shape the cables are in now.

heres another dumb question. are the first gen AWD systems the same as the second gen? if i found a 1st gen wagon could i put the AWD into my wagon? i have a possibility at finding a great deal, but its worthless to me if i cant put parts on my car. i know the body is vastly different, but how different is the mechanical stuff?

yeah, i sanded the paint off of the points that were painted, and the bare engine points are rust/ grime free as well. im going to go back and revisit those points, as well as the factory points to see what kind of shape the cables are in now.

heres another dumb question. are the first gen AWD systems the same as the second gen? if i found a 1st gen wagon could i put the AWD into my wagon? i have a possibility at finding a great deal, but its worthless to me if i cant put parts on my car. i know the body is vastly different, but how different is the mechanical stuff?

From what I know, the mechanicals are the same among many different models as Subaru tends to use the same stuff in nearly all of their cars. The transmissions & front & rear differentials are identical (to the point where you can't see any differences by looking at them) but their internals components are very different to the point where you need to look up various codes to see what you have & what you may want. Looking at the stickied threads under comstruction, made by brok, will easily answer your questions.

• 1 month later...

just spent the first part of the week in denver, holy crap theres a ton of subarus there. nice place, weather was great. rental was a jeep liberty, not too horrible.

i havent had time to work on my car at all lately, and to top it off, my daughter slammed a curb in her civic and i have to do axles this weekend. puts my suspension off another month, grrr.

ok, heres a dumb question... is there a trick to getting the injectors out? i tried for a while, but felt like i was going to break them if i forced them harder than i was trying already. i had similar experience at a pick n pull when i was messing around. i was just going to check the o rings and maybe clean them up a bit.

• 1 month later...
so i was trolling around the pick n pull a couple weeks ago, they were having a 50% sale. found a new entry, 97 outback with all the parts seemingly on it still, minus the hood. since my power steering pump is making a noise, i decided to rip the one out of the OB. nope. that sucker has a banjo bolt, didnt even think of it. same damn pump, different hose fitting. so, they have a 30 day exchange. there are no other 2nd gen subarus there, how do i exchange it? lol. i guess i just have a power steering pump for a 97 if i ever buy one.

car seems to be fine, but my civic seems to have dumped a main bearing. sucks, like i didnt have enough money issues with xmas coming, daughter turning 18 this week and stuff. sigh. i had just made the plan to get a header and exhaust for my car, of course something else happens to keep me from doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

so my civic has a busted bearing, my truck has had a bad clutch since like last may and my legacy runs great. ive had to let my daughter drive my legacy, which always gives me slight heart palpatations anyway. she called me saturday night and let me know she accidentally hit a curb (same way she wiped out the R&P and axle in her civic) and rashed up my new black rims. i about dropped dead right there. she said "its scratched a bit on the rim" which meant it has 3 out of 7 spokes showing metal, the lip is scratched down to metal about 10" around and the center spoke that got hit is severely grooved and visibly lower down now.

i put the new clutch in my truck to find out that the slave cylinder had popped into like 4 pieces as well, replaced it and there is no bleeder valve on the whole hydraulic system. ive been fighting it trying to get it bled out and working for a damn week now.

im about on the verge of grabbing my rifle and heading to dodge headquarters.

on the plus side, i spent a couple days out of town for work (grabbed a work truck this time) and my daughter washed the subaru inside and out while i was gone. looks good. except for that one wheel.

edit: i also picked up a D16A1 engine with DOHC head (same head as the ZC but different pistons) for 100 bucks to put in the civic. tore down the new block and it looks great, low miles and not much wear on it at all. gonna sell the head for 150 and recoup the cost of the engine.

Edited by twisty

my son got the head off the civic yesterday, seems as tho someone (her boyfriend) had pulled the intake after we redid the head last year. the gasket was broken by the water inlet, leaked into the intake and was burning coolant for a while. blew the head gasket again when she let it run hot, so now i have a bad head gasket to deal with as well as a bad bearing. yey me.

Twisty, good thread. You got a question answered for me...the exhaust, and the MSD ignition. Only this I cant find is a catback (non oem). Will be savingn for that, cat, new o2's and a catback.

What suspension did you get and how do you like it?

As well, man that isnt going to help you out much. Hope the civic goes smooth and truck is back running asap.

i have the suspension from a 2006 sti to toss on, but i havent done it yet. it already has lowering springs on it, as well as the mounts and everything needed. i need some spacers for the back so far, but i havent had lift time to mess with it with my other vehicles down. only reason i got that set up was it was dirt cheap, i couldnt have gotten the 4 mounts for the price i paid for the whole set up.

as for the civic, im selling the D16A1 motor complete for twice what i paid for it, since i dont really want to do a complete changeover. the block i got didnt have the same mounts, and while i could make my own i also dont want to change over the power steeering system as well as the main pulley assembly. but at least im gonna make some cash off of it, that will help pay for a rebuild kit for the D16Y7 i already have.

Just so you know 06 STi struts do not fit your car.

i have the suspension from a 2006 sti to toss on, but i havent done it yet. it already has lowering springs on it, as well as the mounts and everything needed. i need some spacers for the back so far, but i havent had lift time to mess with it with my other vehicles down. only reason i got that set up was it was dirt cheap, i couldnt have gotten the 4 mounts for the price i paid for the whole set up.

as for the civic, im selling the D16A1 motor complete for twice what i paid for it, since i dont really want to do a complete changeover. the block i got didnt have the same mounts, and while i could make my own i also dont want to change over the power steeering system as well as the main pulley assembly. but at least im gonna make some cash off of it, that will help pay for a rebuild kit for the D16Y7 i already have.