LegacyGT.com

Rallisport racing CEL

i really can't find anything about this and hoping someone can help. Since the install i've noticed on my 25,000 mile motor (i had to replace it) that the lifters are really loud, i get this pretty bad vibration around 2500 RPM and higher, and i have a CEL. after reading the codes i have a dirty MAF sensor, per Emissions Tech, and my O2 sensor is getting too much exhaust (because of the obvious CAT deleted from the headers.

Question 1 - i heard rumors about a o2 sensor spacer which would push the sensor out maybe another 1 1/2" - 2" and this will theoretically reduce the amount of exhaust hitting the sensor…Does this work?

Question 2 - why is my car so loud and progressively getting worse for a 25,000 mile motor (yes there is oil in the car). it almost sounds like an exhaust leak but i've checked and can't find anything.

Question 3 - more general, I'm sure the Rallisport headers make this CEL for everyone, how did you fix it.

My theory is that because the o2 sensor is getting bad readings its telling the car to perform a different way making my car compensate for the bad exhaust reading.

anything would help at this point.

moving in to a new shop within the next 2 weeks and will be taking everything apart to try to narrow it down

thanks in advance

1. That codes did/do you have?

2. This replaced engine was it rebuilt, re-manufactured or swapped in from salvage?

3. There are two O2 sensors only 1 is used to adjust AFR and it is upstream of the cat in both stock and the RalliSport configuration

4. To fix the second sensor find a Tactrix 2.0 cable and ECUFlash (can explain more but need to know the answers to 1&2 first)

5. Once you get to the new shop it will make life easier

The loud noises at 2500RPM could be a mis-adjusted valve or valve train issue or bearing failure :(

Video of noise would help us a lot

I'll get the exact codes because there's one more. A "vam" I think but I know for a fact P0031

P0134

The motor was referb from subaru and my father (old subaru tech back in the day) and myself used the old heads and assembled the motor together so there could be failure. When we got the motor the front main was leaking from the factory and we replaced it and is still leaking (I think because there's still somthing leaking from behind the cover ) which I'll find out but the blues is comming from the front if the motor ( sounds like behind the timing belt cover)

This video is from a couple weeks ago

https://vimeo.com/122033145

That 0031 code is your orange AFR sensor. Are you running the Rallisport UEL headers? Are they sealed to the exhaust ports securely? It sounds like you have a leak coming from somewhere, take a look at the exhaust ports for black soot or discoloration that will tell you quickly if they are leaking. If so, replace your stock gaskets with new OEM ones or the GrimmSpeed 12x thicker ones I used them to remedy that problem when i switched to UEL.

So you have an oil leak out the front main seal from around the crank? the Crank seal isnt expensive but you will need to pull the pulley to replace it, also check the cam seals as they can weep and the Timing belt will sling oil inside the cover and the oil pump itself for leak should you decide or detect the crank seal is the problem.

Can hurt to use a feeler gauge on the valves if possible to check clearance may need a simple adjustment to alleviate the RPM noises (decrease clearances).

The valve adjusting was a must. I almost wanted to go with that theory because I'm sure things loosen over time just wanted some some reassurance. I changed every gasket there was to change. Every barring. Literally the only thing reused were the heads and fresh cleaning on the rockers lifters new springs . I'm not for certain but want to say the cams are new as well. I'll get back to you on that. This is a really good start. I think it'll be somthing behind the timing belt cover just gotta take a look. Mind as we'll change the front main while I'm there I just hope I can find the leak. It'll probably be a mess under there.

• 3 months later...

Archived