LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

So next week i will begin swaping in a 1987 buick 3.8L v6 in to my 05 legacy gt.

I thought long and hard about this. Reasons being cost to build 600 hp subaru engine a lot ! at least 6 grand.

specs of the 3.8 buick engine

230 ft lbs tq at 1900 rpm no boost

550 ft lbs tq 3800 rpm @19 lbs boost

3.5" stroke

3.8" bore

cost of parts motor 200$

crank shaft and connecting in stock form good for 750 hp

cost of race roller cam shaft 250$

450$ for set of weisco pistons

200$ for set of cometic head gaskets

Installation : the stock dbw throttle body from the legacy will be used,

motor plate will be fabricated, and then mated to the 5eat with rwd/4wd conversion and automation direct plc will be used for full manual shifting.

Mega squirt fuel management.

12 36# lb/hr injectors and factory buick ignition system. Fed by holset hx 35w turbo.

Edited by frank_ster

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it fits under the hood ..

the h4 is pretty heavy compared to an all aluminum I4. Yes it will be heavier but i'm willing to make that sacrafice. witch is also easily over come by larger rear sway bar.

sick build idea. I had a 98 pontiac GTP with the supercharged 3.8l making 247whp and 28xwtq, ran a 13.3 great motor to build with. im sure using a zzp turbo kit on it, mated to a legacy body would call for real quick ride.

i live in monttreal , i'm in washington state for busness not far from vancouver !

going to use the 5eat as described in the first post. I will also do my mod to make the tranny rear wheel drive. and with a flip of a switch 4wd.

parts wise . summit racing. Parts for grand nationals have been around forever so they are easily availiable.

this same engine ran 12.70 @ 117 mph in the 1/4 mile in my sunbird. in completely stock form now with a cam that has more than .300" valve lift (now .500") it should have a lot more breathing room.

with this 3.8 and automatic it should be able to leave a stop light either buring off the back tires or click in the 4wd.

the holset hx 35 is actually a small turbo for a 3.8 so it should be able to get up and go almost instantly. and mega squirt with anti lag should make 4wd burn outs easy to do.