LegacyGT.com

Harman Kardon Drive + Play

Ekim

Hello All,

I am a new member to the forum and so far have found it very informative. There is alot of mention of how to hook up an iPod to the factory stereo and I have decided to go with Jazzymt's set up. I plan to then use the new Harmon Kardon Drive + Play unit. Seems like it is a pretty cool device. What do you think?

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/enlarged/hk/EC.HK.DP1US.JPG

Harman/Kardon's Drive + Play is more than just an iPod adapter — it's a complete digital music control system for your car. In fact, the Drive + Play handles the iPod so well that it was named "Best of Show" at the 2005 Macworld conference in Boston.

Consider the system's backlit LCD display, which mounts up high on the dash for easy visibility while driving. And since it matches the display on your iPod — with the same menu style and general layout — you already know how easy it is to jump between songs and artists. http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ProductPages/read_more.gif

But the Drive + Play system is all about control, and its Text Commander Controller handles file navigation with ease and elegance. Shaped like a oversized mushroom, this remote mount command center works just like the click wheel on your iPod — just press the outer buttons to play, pause, fast-forward, or rewind, and twist the knob to scroll through the menus. Install it on your center console for a handy, easy-to-reach controller.

While your iPod is connected to the system, you'll be able to control every aspect of playback — from track selection to playlists. And best of all, the Drive + Play will charge your iPod battery while it's in use.

The central "brain" unit can be mounted out of the way in the glove box or under a seat, and a built-in wireless FM modulator allows you to play the iPod through your vehicle's FM radio. If your radio has an auxiliary input, you can connect the Drive + Play's audio output to it for the best possible sound performance. The Drive + Play also offers a pass-through auxiliary input for connecting additional components to your stereo system.

Details:

» iPod connection system for factory and aftermarket car stereos » includes backlit, dash-mountable display » includes remote-mount control knob with five-button navigation » connection plug compatible with all dockable iPods (system uses the connection cable that came with your iPod) » system connects to any factory or aftermarket stereo via the internal FM modulator or auxiliary input connection » "brain" unit features AUX-IN pass-through for connecting another component to your system » 3-meter installation cables for display and controller included » universal mounting hardware included » controls all iPod functions from the remote controller » customize iPod menus on the fly » 12V power adapter included » charges iPod while connected » warranty: 1 year

I've been waiting for that! I'll tell you, if it works well that will be sweet! I have jazzy's auxin and hacked belkin kit and just lay the ipod down below the shifter (I have an EAT). It works well, but this thing looks like a great way to keep your eyes near the road. My wife's civic has my old alpine with the iPod controller, and it's clunky. It's nice to be able to put the ipod in the glovebox and hook it up and control it via the headunit, but this is a MUCH better display/input device. Too bad they don't have a cheaper model without the FM mod built in.

Ya, it looks fantastic! I'm debating whether or not I should get it just for the FM modulator. I'm assuming the quality of sound from the modulator would be better than the crappy iTrip, if that's the case, I might be content with that 'til a better solution comes out for our cars. Originally I planned on putting a Clarion flip out screen in the cubby, but it's a lot of damn work that I'm not prepared to do right now.

You'll spend at least $50 for a good FM modulator, and anoter $20 - $30 for the antenna plugs. I'd say either way consider Jazzy's line-in solution, but this device would make an excellent choice as well. Jazzy's $35 line-in mod sounds WAY better than the hardwired FM mod I had (which was way better than the iTrip).

I am going to preorder mine this weekend. Figure $200 for the unit and $35 for Jazzy's Aux port is still going to be cheaper than an after market head unit with iPod controls built in. Plus it looks like it will fit perfectly into the little cubby on the dash....and I believe I will still be able to close the door for a little added security (out of site out of mind).

This looks awesome...should be receiveing Jazzy's board soon and this will make the install complete. Has anyone been able to find dimensions on the "screen" for this...first thing I thought was that if that can fit in the cubby, I will be in heaven!:) Imagine, a stealth install with Jazzy's board, the HK "brain" unit in the center console along with the ipod, the "interface" hardwire mounted near the shifter and the screen in the cubby with the ability to open and close the door!:cool:

• 2 months later...
Can someone explain how to hook up the HK and jazzy's board together? Is a blank CD still required? Thanks.

Yup - blank CD is still required. Read through the first post here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504 and it will make more sense.

To connect the two devices, I believe you just connect the board to the HK via a 1/8-to-1/8 cable. The HK then connects to the iPod via their dock connector.

EDITED: Here's obxt's install with HK: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21252

Archived