LegacyGT.com

Subaru adondoning manual transmissions?

I just got a survey from Subaru asking about why I purchased a spec.b and my preference on transmission. A few questions asked in various ways, if a manual transmission were not available would i still consider the car? The ask why you choose a manual from a list of valid points including

Better fuel economy than the automatic-equipped version

Cheaper than the automatic-equipped version

A manual provides more driving fun

A manual provides more control over the vehicle in emergency situations

A manual provides more control when driving in the mountains/hills

A manual is better for off-road/dirt road driving

A manual is better in inclement weather

A manual offers the best performance in terms of acceleration, handling and overall speed

Then they ask if I would consider a auto if it cost the same, or if it had the same mpg's. They never ask about the saftey or performance again.

In all answers concerning if I would buy an automatic I answered I would rather leave the brand, and sure enough I would. Even if the STI was still avail in manual. I thought the survey was going to be about ditching that crappy 5 spd and 4eat to go with a 6spd man and auto, not inquiring about ditching manuals all together.

Anyone else get this survey? I don't know if it went out to all manual owners or just spec.b owners.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take is actual the oppose, the survey is to see if a manual buyer would buy the auto if manual is not available. Pretty much the question that they ask you. They sell a whole lot more automatic than manual so I don't see ditching automatic as even a remote possibility. SOA would go out of business so fast it wouldn't even be funny.

Or is that your take too? Your title doesn't match what you are trying to say in the post. That or I'm just confused... :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if SOA made such an stupid decision. They obviously do not like auto transmissions, as seen with the WRX and Forester. The auto WRX is breath-taking as they eliminated the LSD and from what I recall, unlike the 5EAT, the 4EAT is FWD-bias. The 5EAT should be used across the line. Also, auto buyers of the WRX can not get a navigation system.

A few questions asked in various ways, if a manual transmission were not available would i still consider the car?

That obviously shows that SOA is considering abandoning the MT, not AT. :( This is a recurrent trend at SOA, as evidenced by their current offering of the 3.0R only w/ an AT, recent history of killing the MT LGT wagon, and distant history of offering the flagship SVX only w/ an AT. What good stuff Fuji Heavy Industries giveth, SOA takes away. Soon we'll all be driving Foresters, Outbacks, and Tribecas! :mad:

Yeah, I just finished that survey too. I pretty much laid it out like this: NO AUTO FOR ME!

Would you have chosen an auto if it was offered in the Spec B? NO

Would you have chosen an auto if it was offered in the Spec B at the same price? NO

Would you have chosen an auto if it was offered in the Spec B at the same price and offered the same gas efficiency? NO

If Subaru never offered manual in the Spec B again, would you still get the Spec B? NO

What would you do? Look for another Subaru car with a manual.

Manual, manual, manual....this is Gator GT and I approve this message. :lol:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I wouldn't be surprised if SOA made such an stupid decision. They obviously do not like auto transmissions, as seen with the WRX and Forester. The auto WRX is breath-taking as they eliminated the LSD and from what I recall, unlike the 5EAT, the 4EAT is FWD-bias. The 5EAT should be used across the line. Also, auto buyers of the WRX can not get a navigation system.
The 08 Impreza does not share the 4EAT and 5EAT from the Legacy, it uses a 4ACT with no 5 speed auto choice. They should give all cars the option of a 6 spd manual or 6 speed auto.

If they just went with a 6-speed DSG as their only transmission choice, I'd be ok with it. Better performance than a manual, convenience of an automatic when you want it.
Have you seen the new evo's? The DSG ruined the performance of that car.

I was under the impression that the SVX was equipped with a 4AT because it was the only transmission available that could handle 235hp. And it failed at that, as seen by all of the toasted SVX trannys.

That obviously shows that SOA is considering abandoning the MT, not AT. :( This is a recurrent trend at SOA, as evidenced by their current offering of the 3.0R only w/ an AT, recent history of killing the MT LGT wagon, and distant history of offering the flagship SVX only w/ an AT. What good stuff Fuji Heavy Industries giveth, SOA takes away. Soon we'll all be driving Foresters, Outbacks, and Tribecas! :mad:
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

If they just went with a 6-speed DSG as their only transmission choice, I'd be ok with it. Better performance than a manual, convenience of an automatic when you want it.

Disagree. It's still stupid auto, just fast shifting. It's not substitute for manual transmission with clutch.

Have you seen the new evo's? The DSG ruined the performance of that car.

The SST is not what ruined the performance of the car. It might ruin the fun factor but it's not why it's slow. The Evo X is heavy and underpowered.

Disagree. It's still stupid auto, just fast shifting. It's not substitute for manual transmission with clutch.

I agree, but I think it would be smart to replace the automatics with DSG type, it's just a better transmission in terms of efficiency.

I was under the impression that the SVX was equipped with a 4AT because it was the only transmission available that could handle 235hp. And it failed at that, as seen by all of the toasted SVX trannys.

Yes, that's correct, but I was trying to illustrate a point about SOA's abhorence of MTs and was not going to let the truth get in my way! :lol:

The SST is not what ruined the performance of the car. It might ruin the fun factor but it's not why it's slow. The Evo X is heavy and underpowered.

Every head to head video I've seen with a 5MT EVo X vs a SST EVO X on a proper road course. The 5MT EVO X wins handily.

Btw, how retarded SOA is. Given that majority of Americans (being brainwashed/unskilled) prefer slushboxes, they should have figured out that if someone actually owns a manual transmission car it is not a coincidence :rolleyes:

Every head to head video I've seen with a 5MT EVo X vs a SST EVO X on a proper road course. The 5MT EVO X wins handily.

I know, and I believe the reason is that Mitsu hasn't quiet figure out how to program the TCU for track yet. In a drag race the SST is faster than the 5MT Evo X so we know it can shift faster just like the DSG. Fifth Gear did a test pitting a DSG Audi TT against 6MT Audi TT around a track and the DSG was faster. Of course Nissan op for a DSG type in it's uber-car GT-R too. I think Mitsu's SST just isn't mature enough to put up the fast time it's capable of on the track. I know the SST had some problems in the pre-production models so I'm pretty sure it's still a work in progress. Given more time I think Mitsu engineers can work out the issues to make the SST a lot more competitive on the track.

whatever my next car will be, its not going to be a subaru and it will hopefully have a DSG style auto trans. not everyone has the same needs in life as the diehard MT militants. i will not be racing the car in any meaningful way, the potential loss of 'performance' will negatively affect maybe 10% of my driving, while benefitting the maining 90%.

part of the mystique of MT ownership is a sense of pride, ego, and 'im a slightly better class of driver than the masses' which is part of the reason i kept w MTs, but im over it now.

whatever my next car will be, its not going to be a subaru and it will hopefully have a DSG style auto trans. not everyone has the same needs in life as the diehard MT militants. i will not be racing the car in any meaningful way, the potential loss of 'performance' will negatively affect maybe 10% of my driving, while benefitting the maining 90%.

part of the mystique of MT ownership is a sense of pride, ego, and 'im a slightly better class of driver than the masses' which is part of the reason i kept w MTs, but im over it now.

Move on, good luck. None of the reasons you mentioned above counts as a valid reason to drive a manual transmission.

Archived