LegacyGT.com

Plasti-dip fun today

Had some time to kill today so I decided to try out plasti-dip for the first time. I dipped my OEM grill since I got tired of looking at my POS aftermarket that faded after one winter. I might try dip on my wheels next, it nice that you can always peel off whatever you don't like or mess up...what do you think? :lol:

pdgrill1.jpg.b78b0971619441fcf3f95f2f2997093c.jpg

pdgrill2.jpg.8ea4e59ed5878a34e6049bdc1a48aab0.jpg

pdgrill3.jpg.e9899e8283c8c35dd628715b0bc590f6.jpg

pdgrill4.jpg.1446945c96dc508bdeea7cc9e7daf093.jpg

pdgrill5.jpg.ae58e866d5cab622ad5ee7677b7138aa.jpg

pdgrill6.jpg.793c555e0b5fb494ea57deaf9b0db205.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good! I've done a bit of plasti dippin' and I'd say it's one of the least expensive highest satisfaction mods you can do :). If you have the time, I'd seriously suggest doing the wheels. See below pics of my wheel process, and a comparison of Plasti dip Matte Black, Anthracite Grey, and Anthracite Grey with Glossifier in that order. The process is a piece of cake and it did a great job covering up my curbed up wheels.

I'd suggest dropping nickels in the lug nut holes so that way when you put the wheels back on the lug nuts don't cause the paint to peel.

Wheels1.thumb.jpg.f26383b59c51baa1828d0d26edf5b897.jpg

Wheels2.thumb.jpg.920603cc26716ab418c5f3fc2432545c.jpg

Wheels3.thumb.jpg.70dab27e8bd4bf010562eb527647fa20.jpg

Wheels4.thumb.jpg.50ef53a9f59b67e3a64e133c244a3fe3.jpg

Wheels5.thumb.jpg.557a522dd91cc863ae3dba32aa49f305.jpg

Black_Gray_GlossGray.thumb.jpg.af80f6df2cfc75017c9cd1ddf1d0b9fa.jpg

Dipped my wheels gunmetal w/glossifier not long ago, can't believe how much less it cost down in the states. People here actually sell plastidip to make profit since they cost upwards of $20 per can! At the hardware store. How much does anthracite cost for u guys? The cheapest I can get them is $15 per can for gunmetal and glossifier. I spent $85 altogether for 3 cans of each

It took me 3 cans of anthracite grey but I'm glad I ordered 4 because I ended up with a defective can. The vendor replaced it without issue but would have delayed the process if I didn't have an extra can laying around. I did 6 coats on each wheel and did not use the glossifier.

The process is easy, just make sure you clean and dry your wheels well. Plan on an entire day:

Remove wheels, wash and dry. After a good 1/2 day and the wheels are bone dry / no water is to be seen, start the painting.

Don't attempt to cover the entire wheel in the first coat, simply lay down a light base coat. I waited a full 30 minutes in between coats but I have seen others do it in 15 with similar results. After the first coat I laid each addition coat on nice and thick, just prior to the point where the paint would run. (Practice on something other than your rims to find the breaking point). After each coat I also flipped the can upside down to clean out the spray nozzle as the plasti dip will quickly dry and cause the paint to spray like silly spray.

I let mine dry overnight before installing them back on the car. To ensure my tire iron didn't cause any damage I just used a ratchet and socket to tighten them down.

I did not mask off my wheels, I just peeled the paint off the tires when finished.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I've done several sets of wheels, grills, and logos now. I'm a local pro ;)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/03/qy9y8udu.jpg I dipped mine awhile back and really like not for my winter set I need to touch them up but might just go bronze instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on, I'll have to wait a little bit before I can buy more cans to do it with. I've been watching the videos on dipyourcar.com so I have a good grasp on how to do it, and I'm no newbie when it comes to spray cans haha Did you use any kind of protective coating afterwards? Depending on how well I do with my wheels I might try to do it on the side for others for a little extra $...

Nice pic, I like the red with the black. I plan to get bronze or gold wheels eventually, but until I can afford them I'm going to just plasti dip my stockers black.

Yeah I got my can from home depot. I did 4 coats on my grill, and still have 2/3 a can left. I gotta wait until I get a little more cash (gotta sell my old car pats hehehe) before I do my wheels. I'm gonna try to do 5 coats on the wheels. Anyone have experience with the smoke dip for tail lights? I wanna have a light tint on mine, not dark at all.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/03/qy9y8udu.jpg I dipped mine awhile back and really like not for my winter set I need to touch them up but might just go bronze instead

Wheels look good. How you like them Chinese tires?

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

I have a very old can of VHT night shades that I debated using, but that's permanent :/

I got a spray can of goo gone and an old rag and literally wiped it off my tail lights. I don't think it's that permanent.

Wheels look good. How you like them Chinese tires?

I hate them lol but I was in the middle of a road trip and got a nail in two tires and just got what I could spend at the time😑 they'll work fine for a winter set but deffenitly in the market for another set of wheels and tires

Also, the gold bbs wheels from the STI are 5 x 114 not 5 x 100. And yeah Brembos...forget about it, unless you win the lottery or get a lucky scratcher from the gas station lol

Aren't the 04s 5x100? One can always dream haha

Archived