LegacyGT.com

HVAC system fan doesn't work

buddy has an 09 legacy limited and he got into his car this morning and the heater turns on, but the fan is no longer working? I am going to check the fuse but if it turns out it isn't blown could it be the module relay? It SHOULD be covered under warranty but if it is an easy fix it would save some time and headache of dealing with the stealership

will it work on any speed? i would ck for power and ground at the blower.. if its good then you know its the blower... most times a bad blower will kill a fan speed resister.. might want to do both if it comes down to it...

Checked all the fuses associated with the HVAC system. none were fried. He's gonna end up taking it to the dealership tomorrow.

and it doesn't work on low or high. when i turn it one, I can hear it click and the display turns on like it should but the blower doesn't come on.

Thanks!

• I Donated Too
also if the resister pack goes pop in the right way it may also nuke one of the relays but those are ALL the same so you can swap one over to test once you put the new resister pack in place. Might be a one off that we saw the relay fail too.

Alright, thanks both of you. After messing with the fuses last night, he went to go run some errands today the fan turned right on. not sure if pulling some fuses and putting them back in tripped it to turn on but right now it is fixed. Still gonna take the car in next week though.

again, thanks

• I Donated Too
then just check the connection to the fan - you just need to remove the panel beneath the glove box, not the entire glove box - for strange reasons I have seen that connector not make good on a car or two.

alright, he dropped the car off at the dealership and they said its not covered under the warranty because he is already past his factory 34,000 mile warranty. I said screw that, its 3 years, 36,000 miles and since it is working again that he needs to go pick it up. If its working and wants them to fix it they will charge him money for NOTHING and say its fixed.

sorry, kind of a rant but thats the number one reason why I hate dealerships.

The transistor pack that controls fan speed it out. It's like 400 new from the dealerships. You can go to any electronics store, get the transistor along with the thermal protection resistor that closely matches the original ratings. Desolder and install new unit. It cost me 8 bucks in parts the last time I did one for a 05 WRX. Anything with the digital AC controls will be sharing the same parts. Nissan models from 95-up shares the same transistor pack. There is a Nissan forum thread on the transistor fix along with the thermal resistor. It shows the compatible ratings and all.

One reason why these go out is the cabin air filter. If that gets dirty enough, the transistor pack overheats and the chip go bad. Dealers won't sell or tell you how to fix it. They will tell you it's non-servicable part and that you must replace the transistor pack completely.

Transistor pack, Subaru has 2 types of transistor packs for AC blower controls.

Its located in the blower box.

Here in California parts are expensive. Maybe my local dealership likes to make killing on the parts. They are there for a reason. I chose to rebuild mine. If anyone can find it cheaper than what dealers charge then it's good for them. I just put my fix that's all. No harm done.

• I Donated Too
The one in the lgt and many other cars is $40 from a dealer. You can buy the same part all over the internet for less - many Japanese cars use the identical resister pack. No soldering required.

Archived