LegacyGT.com

Xenons vs HIDs

Thread title changed.

And your friend is likely talking about plain old fashioned HID lighting.

Some folks use the word 'xenon' as slang for HID.

Car manufacturers often put the words "xenon headlights" in the sales brochure because most of the idiots in this world don't understand what "high intensity discharge lighting" really means.

They read 'xenon' and they think "Hey, that there must be them fancy sparkly lights in them expensive cars!"

Yes, his factory BMW HID system will be superior to your halogen set up in your Legacy.

Thanks for the thread change.. And yea I know that they would be superior then my stock headlights, but I have 6000k HID's .. But thank you all for clearing this hid vs xenon question up for me.. That is what I figured but I wanted to be sure b4 I mKe any stupid comments!! Thank you everyone!

His OEM HID system is likely 4300K which is more pure white. Your 6000K system will be more blue and thus shittier in the rain.

Plus the BMW housing is designed to work with HID lighting whereas our LGTs are designed for halogens and when a bolt in HID kit is installed, it is brighter, but not necessarily um... perfect.

Don't even get me started on bolt-in 8K or 10K HID kits.:lol:

Bi-xenon is accomplished with a single HID bulb. The hi/low beam is accomplished through a movable shield within the projector housing. When the high beams are activated, a solenoid moves the shield down and changes the way the light is dispersed onto the road. The basic system is no different than any other system, you still have your standard HID bulb and ballast.

No not at all I absolutely love the hid kit I have.. I had never had them b4but there amazing! My friend just said the xenons were better and I really didn't wanna argue with out knowing the truth about what I'm arguing about..

if he's saying his bi-xenon (or even oem hid) setup is better than your h7 hid kit, you shouldn't be doing any arguing ;)

xenon is just a gas they use in various bulbs, and doesn't really get at the heart of the issue any carhead would be apt to get into arguments about.

hid systems are just that, a bunch of components coming together to do a job. to simplify things, your setup is like a farm team with an all-star DH. a bmw bi-xenon is like the dominican olympic squad :)

Bi-xenon is accomplished with a single HID bulb. The hi/low beam is accomplished through a movable shield within the projector housing. When the high beams are activated, a solenoid moves the shield down and changes the way the light is dispersed onto the road. The basic system is no different than any other system, you still have your standard HID bulb and ballast.

^this is 100% true

Just to add... Your friend is right his "xenons" are better for the reasons stated above but "xenons" are not a different technology than the HID kit you have. They are both hids, he just has hid projectors which allow for optimal output. You are using a halogen projector that is not made for HIDs. The output of his headlights would not be much different with an oem bulbs, ballasts and ignitors or aftermarket kit (same bulb size). Obviously OEM has superior build quality which can affect light output but I am just talking in general they are comparable.

i simply put hid's in the highbeams i have the extra light when i need it and with its snowing i turn them off so i don't have 50 million bright shiny things in my feild of vision

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Xenon = HID

Bi-Xenon = HID for low and high beam. Two different bulbs, one for low-beam and another for high.

Correction for the Bi-Xenon - it's a single bulb that is electromagnetically shifted for different focus between high and low beam.

If it were two separate the heat-up time would make them almost useless in traffic.

"Bi-Xenon"

http://www.xenonkungen.se/H4-bi-xenon-35W-50W.jpg

"Normal"

http://www.xenonkungen.se/D2R-Philips-lampor.jpg

Notice the shielding part on the right lamp - it's for reflector use. So if you are going to use them in a reflector they shall be designated D2R instead of D2S.

453747.png

• 1 month later...

Is there a mod that can be done to have the lows stay on when flicking or locking the high beams on? That would be easier on the ballasts of HID kits. I checked around here this morning and couldn't find anything. Found plenty dealing with DRLs and fogs, but nothing like I mentioned.

Thanks,

Tony

Archived