LegacyGT.com

Need suggestions for springs/struts

Sebastian

I'm wanting to upgrade the suspension in my car. Currently it's a stock 05 LGT with Cobb F+R Sway Bars (back bar is on the "loose" setting). The tires are Bridgestone RE960's.

The car is my daily driver. I autocross it 4-8 times a year. I live in Cincinnati, so I do have 4 seasons to drive in. Also the fun backroads are mountain roads that I drive spiritedly. As far as my driving skill, I'm better than most on the road but would still consider myself a novice at the track.

While I would like to lower the car a bit, I don't want to drop it on its nuts, and have to worry about scraping on speed bumps or inclined driveways. While the idea of adjustable suspension is appealing, I'm not a hardcore track guy, so I would probably not adjust it back and forth. While ride comfort isn't the main focus, I don't want a suspension that makes the car feel like an oversized go-kart either. I don't like the car pushing, but I don't corner with the intention of letting the back end come out either. I like a glued to the road, car is on rails feeling. (Yes I know tires have ALOT to do with this.)

I'm looking for suggestions on how to upgrade my suspension. I'm thinking I need a good value set of springs and struts. Not the cheapest, but I can't afford coilovers either.

^^ Absolutely LOVE my JDM SpecB revC struts. Those mated with Tein H-Tech coils is about the best compromise between DD and "play".

BTW I am gonna hit an auto-x event Friday, if they fail miserably ( which I highly doubt ) will update this feedback.

I can't say enough good things about the Koni Inserts with either stock springs or the Pinks. The Pinks are a little harsh for most guys but having ran the stockers with the Konis I can say they are a good combo. The great thing about the Konis for anyone who has to daily drive their car is that they can be put down to a nice soft/modest setting for your daily grind and then cranked up tight for the occassional Auto-x or Track Day or Back Road Drive. As for coilovers, unless you want to spend well over $1000 you are going to get ones that have worse valving than a good set of struts or inserts and on top of that you'll need to rebuild them evey year or 2 unless you live in a sunshine state....

-mike

USDM Spec.b Bilstein's & STI pink springs- moderate drop (1"), will not scrape over speed bumps. Comfortable on the road, can go through potholes without losing your fillings, but firm enough to be very sporty. Has a neutral feel with slight understeer, so you won't have to worry about being tail happy.... very predictable.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to thread jack, but I'm in a similar boat. I want to buy some Koni's and can't decide whether to use my h-techs or go stock? I like firmness on the road and couldn't really care about if the car is lowered or not.

Anyone? Konis with stocks or H-techs?

I'm about to go Koni's with stock springs.

I'm running H&R springs with the Koni's at the moment and I'm finding it a little on the harsh/hard side.

Not sure how the H-techs compare with the H&R's though.

Cheers,

Rusty.

Archived