LegacyGT.com

cleaning the engine bay?

CD2 doesn't clean the engine. It just shines it up after you have cleaned it. You still need to get in there and scrub a bit. Also, CD2 is the manufacturer. They make lots of stuff. The product in particular that you want to look for is their Engine Detailer. That stuff rocks. Ebay really is just about the only place you can find it nowdays. It is very very worth picking up if you can locate it. Get a case if you can. It is addicting and one can won't be enough once you have seen what it can do.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

CD2 doesn't clean the engine. It just shines it up after you have cleaned it. You still need to get in there and scrub a bit. Also, CD2 is the manufacturer. They make lots of stuff. The product in particular that you want to look for is their Engine Detailer. That stuff rocks. Ebay really is just about the only place you can find it nowdays. It is very very worth picking up if you can locate it. Get a case if you can. It is addicting and one can won't be enough once you have seen what it can do.

If I can't find this...what readily available degreaser/cleaner do you recommend? and do you recommend covering the airflow sensor housing, alternator, battery, etc...?

They are heavy and it is an aeresol so sometimes that affects how it can be shipped. I'd pay ten bucks a can for this stuff and so would you after you use it. It is awesome.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I just did two engine bays last weekend on my Forester and a beater Tercel we have. The Tercel hadn't been cleaned in 10 years of ownership. It was awful looking.

I got the "Cleaner-Degreaser" from Costco and put it in spray bottles. Spray down everything in the engine bay and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Get in with an old toothbrush and clean up the hard to reach/tough spots.

Use the hose techique with the water on low and my thumb to to aim into areas that need to be rinsed down.

Get a couple of rolls of shops towels and wipe everything down.

I think OCD's site says something about avoid getting the distributor wet or wrap it. I didn't bother. I didn't purposefully soak it, but wasn't necessarily careful either. The engine won't melt if it gets wet. Both started up and I drove them for about 10 minutes after completion just to getting everything good and hot to dry out.

They both looked brand new when finished. Coincidentally I trade the Forester in yesterday on a '07 Forester XT. The "used car guy" remarked he'd never seen a trade-in come in so clean.

Check out OCD's webpages, they are great.

From his website I actually got up the courage to use power tools on the Tercel and recondition the paint. Turned out sweet, took a beat up oxidized car and made it look sweet. Too bad a tree branch fell on it and left some deep scratches that will never come out.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

The 2005 LGT Wagon I got four weeks ago had a dirty-enough engine bay that the guy at the very good independant Suburu mod and maintenance shop I took it to for an oil change said after he opened the hood, "Oh, it's dirty". I took his advice and cleaned it with Simple Green spray and a hose of water (it took twice). Then I took OCD's advice and got some CD2 Engine Detailer and sprayed that on. A week later the engine bay looks better than new, and with very little work.

• 7 years later...
Engine Degreaser works very well - biodegradable is my preference and I make use of the gravel channel on the driveway... best time to clean your bay very good is when you are doing your doing major service and have the motor out... you really can get 'EVERYTHING' clean as a button and don't have to worry about your electronics obviously since they are absent... i doing full engine rebuild atm so while I waiting on the machine shop I went to town scrubbing all the gunk off

• 3 weeks later...

Waterless? You mean just using a quick detailer type product? That may work for maintenance of a clean engine, but there is a reason they made products called "engine degreaser". ;) Sometimes it takes more muscle than what waterless wash will clean up.

As far as brand goes, if your engine is clean enough to be cleaned with a waterless wash then pretty much any brand is going to work fine. You are basically just cleaning road dust out of the engine and you don't need a lot of power for that. You may find it to be quite a challenge, but if you are willing to do the work and a hose isn't an option, then I guess it will do the trick.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I use a buncha scrubber brushes with P21S total engine wash.

Wet the engine, spray a small section, brush dirt off, rinse, then move onto the next. Finish it off with Back 2 Black or something similar.

Archived