LegacyGT.com

Consumer Reports Tests the BRZ....video

hmmrdwn

It's funny to see Consumer Reports geeks put on helmets and push the BRZ. Are these guys closet car fanatics?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnSnRgRUopE]2013 Subaru BRZ first look from Consumer Reports - YouTube[/ame]

I don't think I would want a BRZ, but that does look nice. When the guy stands next to the car he looks like a giant, haha, I knew it was a low car but not that low :p

Yeah it's definitely not built for big guys or people who like being way up high. Some people just don't feel comfortable sitting close to the ground or have trouble getting in and out of a low car.

Yeah it's definitely not built for big guys or people who like being way up high. Some people just don't feel comfortable sitting close to the ground or have trouble getting in and out of a low car.

I am the opposite, I feel safe not feeling like I would tip over in an emergency maneuver. Feel safer in my B13 than in my Tundra.

I am the opposite, I feel safe not feeling like I would tip over in an emergency maneuver. Feel safer in my B13 than in my Tundra.

I hear you. I'm the same way, but understand how being up high gives you some advantages in a collision.

I don't know about the getting in and out of the car part (I can say I'm 6'1" and had no issues), but once you're in the car there's plenty of room. There is significantly more headroom (helmet room!) than in my '06 LGT wagon - the double bubbles actually work! And they get higher further back in the car, so if you're tall and have to move the seat back to suit your legs, you'll wind up with even more headroom.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I hear you. I'm the same way, but understand how being up high gives you some advantages in a collision.

Oh yes, I agree that when it comes to a collision being in a well designed, heavy, high vehicle has its advantages. That is why when friends ask what I think of their 12" lifted trucks, urban trucks, I let them know that they just made their vehicles so much more deadly for everyone else on the road and so much more unstable for them.

• 5 weeks later...
I sat in a BRZ at the dealership a couple weeks ago. I'm about 6ft tall. I thought the car was a bit too tight. And why build a sport coupe with so little hp? They should have left the rear seat on the drawing board. In my driving position rear seat legroom was 0.0 inches. I see the 2013 model as the foundation for a future Subie of conflicting objectives.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know why so many people complain about the hp of the car - compare it to a miata, which is more the kinda class that this car is in. Could Subaru have built a higher horsepower car? Yes. Why didn't they? Because 200hp was adequate for what they were trying to achieve. It's not a muscle car, it's a light, sports car, a la GTB, Lotus Elan, Silvia CSP311.

As for the rear seats, I'm sure that there are times people are glad they had rear seats, even if there's not the most legroom.

I sat in a BRZ at the dealership a couple weeks ago. I'm about 6ft tall. I thought the car was a bit too tight.

I find that hard to believe. There's plenty of space to accommodate much taller drivers in a proper driving position.

I find that hard to believe. There's plenty of space to accommodate much taller drivers in a proper driving position.

Agreed. I am about 6'0 with rather long legs, I sat in ones with PLENTY of room to spare.

He must be a gangster and sit with his seat allllllll the way back and half way reclined...because you know, chicks dig that.

It's all fun and games until the first time you need to change spark plugs... (service manual has you lift the engine off the motor mounts...)

Is that hard?

Undo 3-4 bolts and place the jack right?

There are no front axles, etc to worry about.

I don't imagine it's that horrible - they just show taking a ton of stuff apart to be able to lift the engine:

air cleaner

disconnect the harnesses to the two oxygen sensors

remove service panels (2) beneath car

remove front mat guard beneath car

disconnect exhaust from manifold (they have you pull the whole thing out of the way)

remove the exhaust manifold sub-assembly from the engine

undo the engine mounts (2)

release the engine harness

then you lift the engine off the engine mounts (they show a tool to do it from the top), put a spacer in, lower it onto the spacer, and then you can get access to the plugs (a number of small brackets have to come off after that to get to the plugs on either side)

Not necessarily rocket science, but certainly one of the more involved spark-plug replacement tasks I have seen!

It's gonna be @60k service. Shields/guards will be off anyway. So, all-in-all - remove the header and undo engine mounts. Doesn't sound like it's gonna add too much to the bill.

TBH, I think these are temporary instructions, until there's a special tool to reach the plugs with less work.

Archived