LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

• 4 weeks later...

As of this morning, I will be joining the 6spd swap club from an 08 STi. :D For budgetary reasons I'm sticking with a WRX R160 3.54 rear end until I can afford the $1k for the R180 swap ($400 diff + $600 Spec B axles). Following Recipe B since I wanted the helical center diff:

Recipe B - 3.54:1 rear diff (est $4000 total)

Transmission options: 08 STi ($2535)

Rear diff options: 02-05 WRX R160 ($175)

Rear axles: Regular LGT with R160 ($free)

Front axles: Regular LGT ($free)

Driveshaft: 4EAT ($100)

STi flywheel: stock, resurfaced ($150)

clutch: DXD Stg 2 Daily ($495)

misc parts: $TBD

DCCD controller: $TBD

Edited by BlackHole
Kyle "BlackHole"

OK this may be a really stupid question but does this tread apply to 3rd gens too? Cause I'm seeing a lot a shit for 4th gens and I've really wanted to put a 6th gear in my car. Please help.

What kind of gearbox do you have?

If it's a 5MT it should be pretty straightforward and you should only have to worry about the linkage for the gearstick, but if you have an AT gearbox it can be trickier since you also need to change the pedals and try to trick the ECU to not complain, and then you would realize that it would have been easier and cheaper to get a car with a 6MT from the beginning.

453747.png

Yup. Resurfaced flywheel = good as new. Used clutch, well you can't resurface the pressure plate.

No worries resurfaced is fine if done correctly. That is what a flywheel resurfacer is for at a machine shop. I used to run one at oreilly's years ago.

You BARELY take any material off at all. Makes sure it is flat and gives a good clean surface.

Is there something we are missing here BDII? Like maybe you are not supposed to resurface a Subaru Flywheel?

• 2 weeks later...

Also, are there any issues with VDC? Or is all that run via the ABS system?

In other words, the VDC system doesn't hook into the 5MT gearboxes at all does it? Maybe just the neutral position switch (which runs to the ECU)? I think on the 4EAT/5EAT gearboxes, the VDC system can actuate the center diff solenoids to control rear wheel power delivery... but since the 5MT's don't have that, I assume the VDC on the manual cars is entirely part of the ABS system.

hi im new to the legacy world, but i have few questions considering this topic.

so i have a 05 LGT and its stock tranny and diffs

and im as of right now making 410awhp and 425awtq so i dont think its ganna hold up for very long. even though im shifting slow and trying to be careful.

my clutch is slipping and im in need of a new one and im thinking of swapping now so i dont buy a new clutch for no reason.

so the question now is.

locally i found that theres an 09 STI tranny, rear diff, axles, hubs, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder and everything. so its pretty much a complete 09 STI drivetrain for sale.

would that swap in my 05 LGT?? what would i need for that to swap in my 05 LGT?? and also how much would you value this setup with 10k on it?

just trying to see my options since i need a new clutch so i can see if i should stick with my tranny and just get a clutch or go for the swap that i want.

hi im new to the legacy world, but i have few questions considering this topic.

so i have a 05 LGT and its stock tranny and diffs

and im as of right now making 410awhp and 425awtq so i dont think its ganna hold up for very long. even though im shifting slow and trying to be careful.

my clutch is slipping and im in need of a new one and im thinking of swapping now so i dont buy a new clutch for no reason.

so the question now is.

locally i found that theres an 09 STI tranny, rear diff, axles, hubs, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder and everything. so its pretty much a complete 09 STI drivetrain for sale.

would that swap in my 05 LGT?? what would i need for that to swap in my 05 LGT?? and also how much would you value this setup with 10k on it?

just trying to see my options since i need a new clutch so i can see if i should stick with my tranny and just get a clutch or go for the swap that i want.

Please see the first page of this thread, as well as the supplementary thread links. All your answers are there.

Just to double check, if I get a 02-05 wrx r160 I wont have to worry about swapping the input yoke since I am getting a 09 sti transmission? Only if I bought a 06+ sti r180 I would have to swap the input yoke. Correct?

i have a question.

if i wanted to swap an 09 sti tranny in.

can i use the r180 rear diff from also an 09 sti and then use 09 sti rear axles and 09 sti driveshaft or would that not work?

so pretty much 09 sti everything into my 05 legacy gt. or am i ganna need spec b? let me know please.

i did read the thread just want to make sure i can before i go and buy everything.

IF you read the thread you would have seen this in the FIRST POST. (see below)

Go back to the beginning and reread through the thread. You will actually see how others tried to do the axels and it didnt work.

09 STI transmission with 09 STI rear end with LGT yolk will work fine.

Drive shaft answer is in this thread as well. Spec B driveshaft, 4EAT auto driveshaft, or Custom drive shaft (link provided in this thread I believe)

also look at Groeffs thread, hammer down, and the stickied 6 speed thread.

Recipe A - 3.90 rear diff

Transmission options: 04/05 STI*, or 08/09 Spec B

Rear diff options: 04/05 STI, possibly 07-09 Legacy GT R160**

Rear axles: 07-09 Spec B (axles 28421AG03B, axle seals 806732200)

Front axles: Regular LGT***

Driveshaft: use a Spec B driveshaft, and replace the differential's input flange with the R160 flange.

(The Spec B R180 has an R160 input yoke, but is only available in 3.54:1.)

Recipe B - 3.54:1 rear diff

Transmission options: 06+ STI (I don't know what the upper bound is, but unclemat used an 08)

Rear diff options: 02-05 WRX R160, 07-09 Spec B R180*****

Rear axles: Regular LGT with R160, Spec B axles with R180.

Front axles: Regular LGT

Driveshaft: Spec B****

ok thank you very much for the verification.

one last question. do i need specB rear axles with the 09 sti rear diff?

since i will do the yolk swap in the 09 sti rear diff, would that mean i need the specB rear axles or can i use the sti or stock lgt axles?

just to verify.

and ill buy a specB driveshaft and then run DCCD with DCCDpro.

and sorry im new to the Lgt's

Edited by androwhanna

Your answers are in the list I posted from the first post :confused:

The yolk is not "in" the rear diff, it has nothing to do with the axels.

Its the piece your driveshaft bolts to. You need to take the yolk off your stock diff and bolt it to the R180 for the driveshaft.

Also as per this thread, get the spec B R180 aluminum mount.

Edited by Scooby2.5