LegacyGT.com

Winterizing coilovers, good idea or bad idea

Deadleave

I know its summer, but....

I had a stupid idea, and just gauging how stupid it might be.

So prevent the rings from rusting during winters, or when ever....

Anti-seize the rings, then saran wrap it all (just the section on the perch and rings)

Good idea or bad idea ?

It's double edged. Wrapping them will keep moisture IN as much as it keeps it out.

Anti-seize might be OK on the rings. I just simply left my Endura-techs open to the winter (the harshest one we've had in MD in a LONG time), and didn't have any issues adjusting them in the spring.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Pam works great to keep mud from sticking. I used to use it on my fenders when the tracks were sticky. Grease would work, but dirt and debris get stuck in it. Even on a bearing too much grease is just as bad as too little.

The real answer is remove them or perform weekly maintenance. I washed my car once a week all winter long in NY. Even when I had to heat the hose to keep the water from freezing. Be careful of the ice that forms from your wash water, gets slippery fast. LOL. But the underside of my car is B E A Utiful still.

when ever i get a set of new colovers i disassemble them down to the main components and then give them a nice layer of wax and every 2 weeks i will take off the wheels sprays them down to get salt off them and spray some silicone spray on them... works well for me.

Sprank, a tip for sticky tracks: Use a 50/50 solution of baby oil and water. It prevents rubber/debris/small children from sticking to painted surfaces while washing right off when you're ready.

:lol::lol::lol:

That would work too.

I guess everyone has their own "maintenance" routine. The key is to "maintain" rather than install and forget.

Okay WD 40 it is.

Even on stock struts, drive around in bad NY snow for a day, and it gets caked everywhere. And cleaning it out is a mess, so Ill use the WD-40 to displace water, then wrap it loosely, not to seal but just to keep snow off the actual coilovers parts that need it. Ill check on it regularly and see how it holds up.

Thanks guys

Archived