LegacyGT.com

Who makes the nicest trailer hitch?

I would like to install a trailer hitch on my '05 Legacy GT Wagon. Besides the factory unit, who makes the nicest, most invisible and bolt on unit?

I would like the hitch to be invisible except for the receiver portion. Thanks!

Maybe search for other threads with trailer hitch references to get a bunch of examples.

Personally I have a fixed 50mm ball, but that's fine over here in Sweden. There are a few 60mm too, but all rental places runs 50mm so it's no problem. The only visible part is the ball and the bar it's on.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84475

453747.png

The OEM hitch is the most "invisible", most complete, and nicest kit out there (also the strongest)

This is even more true if you add the Outback mounting brackets...

+1 On the OEM hitch & Outback brackets. The aftermarket hitches do not mount up as close to the bumper and also they don't allow as much clearance (slight difference vs OEM hitch).

Here's mine with an aftermarket drawbar so that my trailer would sit pretty level.

2111466035_OEMHitch.thumb.JPG.c31cc311f8a159f9dd0901b56a0d846d.JPG

634658606_OEMHitch2.thumb.JPG.42cd9932db297a4c02ca8b7392de64dd.JPG

Rubberman if you looked at how the factory hitch curves would it clear the spare tire well if it could be mounted up higher? The Australian OEM hitch is completely hidden behind the bumper and they notch the lower part of the bumper for the receiver. I am going to do the same thing but would start with the OEM hitch if I can and just modify the brackets.

Rubberman if you looked at how the factory hitch curves would it clear the spare tire well if it could be mounted up higher? The Australian OEM hitch is completely hidden behind the bumper and they notch the lower part of the bumper for the receiver. I am going to do the same thing but would start with the OEM hitch if I can and just modify the brackets.

I'm not sure, I'd have to take a look under the car to see. Will check and report back.

I'm inclined to say it would clear the spare tire well, but the OEM hitch would require a significant mod to raise it higher. The Outback brackets actually utilize a brace in a triangular fashion, so the mounting points on the hitch would also have to be modified (it wouldn't simply be say cutting an inch off the top of the hitch brackets, new holes would need to be created/relocated for the brace).

I looked through a few pictures that I already have and found this one, it shows the hitch and how close it is to the spare tire well.

Based on this pic, I'd say that the hitch could not be quickly modified and still fit. Note the actual horizontal hitch tubing, it is welded to the interior of the mounting brackets/plates and creates the fitment interference with the spare tire well. But, if the tubing were welded to the other side of the mounting brackets, then it might work.

1556868838_OEMHitch3.thumb.JPG.5d93ea94aff9dcb2b84a8c6e028e5456.JPG

From the picture it doesn't look wide enough to clear the spare tire well, how big is the gap between the hitch and the muffler? What might be the easiest it to cut the hitch just before it makes the curve and reweld it up higher using some flat stock and gussets for strength then it should be able to be hidden behind the bumper and a hole cut for the hitch tube to pass through. Let me know if that makes sense, I'll have to either get a stock hitch or find someone locally that has one installed to verify this as well.

Just an FYI so no one says this will not be safe: I own a 4x4 fabrication company(Extreme Offroad Equipment) so modifying a hitch and making sure it can still carry the proper load isn't a backyard project but something I can do properly. Once the project is completed I could modify these for other owners if they would like.

I phoned to my dealer last week (in Canada) to order an oem hitch. I had us part number but the part guy tolm me he can't do anything whit that because his part # are different.

I told him I wanted the oem and not the Draw-Tite. On Monday I went to the dealer to take the hitch and when I asked him to open the box I saw the Draw-tite one wich I returned.

I showed the picture I had from the net (oem hitch) and he told me it's not available anymore in Canada.

Can someone confirm me if it's true ?

By far the strongest tow hitch & one of the neatest looking, as everything except for the actual attachment is hidden is the Australian OEM unit, http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40784 & this is the australian supplier to aus subaru http://www.haymanreese.com.au/index.htm they are rated at 1500kg & 150kg on the tow ball

CJ that hitch is perfect, the Brinks hitch i posted a link to mounts very similar and has a 2000kg rating. Brinks responded to my inquiry but said i need to talk to Valley industries about US hitches which are not the same. I just sent a reply and told them i am willing to import them if they let me know how many the minimum order will be and we can get a mass buy organized.

The Australian hitch is the best fitting and looking IMO. Unfortunately Hayman Reese has never replied to the three e-mails i have sent them, I wonder if www.Japanparts.com can import them for us? I am going to contact them now.

I am not sure what the question is, all hitches have a weight rating this doesn't mean the car/truck can pull up to the rating of their hitch...just the hitch is strong enough to.

So, what are you going to do about the fact that the car is rated to less weight by far than the hitch?

Archived