LegacyGT.com

4EAT problem, How serious?

So I had my wife's 98 GT 2.5 in the garage yesterday, to put on a new shifter cable. While I had it in there i decided to do a quick check up on all of the fluids. The front differential had ATF mixed in the with gear oil, so i drained and re-filled it with some fresh oil. After driving the car to work and back today I re_checked the dipstick and behold, ATF is back in there. Just wondering how serious of a problem this is?

When I bought my car the front diff had ATF in it as well. I assumed that the previous owner had someone change the fluid and make a mistake. After changing the fluid it hasn't come back though...

Maybe you didn't get it all out the first time you drained it? I would try it again anyway just to see what happens. Is it a lot of ATF that you're getting, or just a little?

Running it with ATF isn't the worst thing in the world I guess, since my car was driven hard with it for who knows how long, but it def. isn't preferable.

is the trans ATF low?

the ATF dip stick can be hard to read so be careful.

there is a seal in the trans that will let ATF into the diff when it fails. i can't remember exactly or how hard to replace. probably too hard for me.

Archived