LegacyGT.com

I need to drop my fuel tank, Help!

I need to drop my fuel tank because there is a hole I need to patch on the top of the tank.

This hole doesn't let me fill my gas all the way, I can fill it maybe about 3 quarters.

Anyway, I was planning on jacking it up, with my tire jack, and putting it on cinder blocks.

I know it's ghetto but, will it work? Or do you guys suggest me to use my friends 5 ton hydraulic pump?

By the way, I bought this kit from napa to patch fuel tank holes, so that is no worry.

Removing the tank isn't easy... from memory you need to remove quite a bit just to get at it ._.

So, do you think I should just stick to the 5 ton? So i can have more room to work.

there is nothing fun about pulling the tank.

good luck.

but before you do that, remove the left rear wheel and check the filler neck. it has a plastic cover / protector that collects dirt and rocks. the filler neck will rust through. this is pretty common. so unless you KNOW the tank has a hole, i would check the filler neck.

I had a leak on the seam, I really really didnt want to drop the tank so i took both access panels and cut with my air chisel between the two, and folded it back to get to the leak, there was a rotten vent line and i used seal all to fix the seam after some cleaning of the rust, and its been holding pretty good

^Yes!

A nice kid died from being crushed under his BMW a few months ago. He was using jack stands. I have a similar design with the ratcheting handles. Apparently he must have been moving his creeper while one it and hit one of the handles with enough force that it disengaged and it crushed his face. I think of it the whole time I am under my car. Don't **** around. Jack stands are cheap.

Cinder blocks crumble unexpectedly and aren't very strong when upright. Buy jack stands with pins. My buddy survived his Oldsmobile falling on his chest when it slipped of the jack only due to him putting a tire under the frame, still had internal damage tho. Don't mess around, be safe

Archived