LegacyGT.com

Ride and Drive event - Dallas

Well, I've got a sinus infection and am dying to get to bed, but I felt it is my duty to get at least [i]something[/i] written here about the day. Before you even go it is obvious that this event is weighted towards the Legacy, and as the day unfolds, it is more and more Subaru focused. During the initial briefing, the fun fact gets mentioned about how 98% of all Subaru built in the last 10 years are still on the road. I actually thought this was the most clever line drop of the day. The competing cars are the Volvo S60 2.5T (fwd), 325i (non-luxury or sport packages), and of course, the GT Ltd. The cars were set to be fairly similar in price but not specification. Anyway, the group is split into three groups because there are three different driving areas: performance, handling, and traction. The performance and handling sections were in sedans and the traction "course" in wagons of the three cars. My brother, dad, and I started in the Performance course which was supposed to be a straight for a 0-60 run followed by some good curves rounding back to the start. This was by far the best of the courses, and we only had time to run in the Volvo and BMW. I'm still hacked off about that. Impression summary: It's amazing what even a non-sporty S60 can do in turns. Cars these days are really impressive compared to even 5 years ago. Yes, it plowed and yes, the turbo lag was an absolute killer. As for the 325, the sound of that sweet I6 was wonderful and the handling manners were great though could have been more taut (if sport package suspension). What killed the 325 was using the automatic in full auto mode. It was the absolute worst of the autos to pick the right gear. Throughout the test, I constantly had the 325 pausing for a full second trying to think of what gear to choose in the turns. Then we went to the handling course which was an excessively short course which didn't show off handling ability nearly as well as the first, performance course. Since we didn't get to drive the Legacy in the previous course, we started out in the Leggy. That automatic has a bit of a slow start from a roll and then you're off like a scalded cat. It was absolutely amazing after driving the others. I went first, then dad, and then my brother. By being a decent hot foot and getting to see the path twice before going, my brother tore that thing up. As we were coming back to the stop behind the other cars, the instructor guy tells him to take it easy because of the other people in the tent. I was like, What the heck? Did he want him to slow down on his other runs so that other people didn't get crazy too? Maybe I missed something there. Anyway, I guess I can cut to the summary. SUMMARY: Legacy was scalded cat fast. Volvo = understeer & turbo lag. BMW didn't have juice until up to speed and had the auto tranny fishing for gears again. Traction course was the finale. The course started with a slalom followed by a sharp right hand turn with sand all over the asphalt and then some dry turns following. Order for me was Volvo, Subaru, BMW. Talk about 0 traction on the sand! Honestly, none of them had any grip. It just happened to be that I got smart and drove the best line in the BMW and had the best results. This was actually a bit counterproductive for the tests' intentions because it really showed that if you are going too fast at the beginning of the turn and have to stay off the gas on the sand until you gain traction, all cars are no-wheel-drive. At that point, weight balance was more of a determining factor which helped the BMW. SUMMARY: Volvo = understeer & lag. Subaru was blazingly fast again by comparison, but the benefits of AWD were not experienced as they planned for us. BMW came out the winner here by showing what great balance and stability control can do for a car when traction is limited and RWD. That's the end of the testing. Now go to the survey tent where you receive a front/back sheet essentially asking how much you liked the Subaru, what you didn't like about it, and when you are going to buy one. Then go to the last tent to pick up a bag of goodies (brochures, Subaru aluminum CD holder, and C&D "steering wheel" keychain) and look at all of the Legacy/Outback line. They even had a red Outback sedan, and it looks taller than the wagons probably due to the three box design looking so strange up in the air. Anyway, that's all I have for now. Any questions? I'll answer them tomorrow.

Myself, Franz, and perhaps some others are tooling down to the Chicago one. Should be funny with half a dozen to a dozen new GT's showing up. :D Hmm, I wonder if they'll let me run my GT Wagon with the Outback event? :lol: Did you guys have to wear brain buckets? I'll bring my own if they do. This is gonna be fun! I can't wait to be drifting on sand! :mrgreen: Think I really need to AutoX both preceding weekends to make sure my tire pressures are just right. ;)

What Outback event? Is there another one or something? No helmets needed. The runs are really so short that they are just a tease for driving. I told my brother it was like a driving equivilant to getting blue balls. You get enough driving to really want to get driving and then it's time for the next driver. As for cars there in the parking lot, there were average cars along with some notables: G35 coupe and sedan, Evolution, WRX wagon, WRX sedan w/ aftermarket stuff, 03? Legacy GT, Boxster, 350Z, A4, E36 M3, and others. There was one new GT wagon, but it turned out to be one of the people working the Subaru tent at the end, and his wife drives an SVX. :cool:

[quote name='MSB']Sounds like fun but :needpics: , maybe SUBE555 or franz should bring their camera next month.[/quote] :lol: I'll see what pictures my wife took. I'll take a picture of the cd holder cause it's really cool. :cool:

For pictures, I'm looking for my cord to connect the camera to the computer, but I have much bigger news. If there is anybody who is planning to buy a Legacy soon and is planning or can go to a Ride and Drive event, GO! Then buy your Legacy afterwards. Why you ask? Today I got a letter in the mail letting me know that because I went to the event, I have been extended the VIP program for 45 days. This is dealer invoice cost, though I wonder if this includes the $275 marketing fee that is being charged to all other cars locally. The VIP authorization form directs me to the sales manager, so it looks like the VIP sales are "house" deals in that it saves money by not dealing with a sales person. I was also sent information about Subaru Advantage Insurance through Liberty Mutual. The best thing about this policy to me is that if your new Subaru is totaled in the first two years of ownership, or first, 30,000 miles, you'll get a brand new Subaru replacement car. It looks like this VIP coverage gets an "exclusve Subaru group discount of up to 10% off already-competitive rates." So after you go, you'll get this info in the mail almost a week after. I just wish that I was ready to get one. :( Enjoy your cars, guys.

Archived