LegacyGT.com

Could use some advice on mods ( non-performance, just sound and aesthetic)

[ edit- 10:59 pm] Okay after typing this, I'm having second thoughts.

so TL:DR.

- Would the stock rims look on my legacy 2.5i ltd look better in their stock color or plasti dipped black ( my car is gray)

- lowering springs and struts should be okay as opposed to coilovers if I'm not tracking my car? but stancing it ( not too agressive of a stance, will still have plenty of ground clearance)

- I'm not modding this car for performance, so I was wondering if I'd be good with just two mufflers ( borla), or do you think I should get the full exhuast?

-where can I find a good lip spoiler ? and once I remove the stock spoiler from my legacy what do I do with the wires that were attacted the brake light in the spoiler?

- uel headers, looks like mike from rallisport racing won't be much help in me getting uel headers, so I guess just source some uel headers from a wrx or something and have a shop fit them on?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[original post- 8:03 pm]

Kind of rant here as well.

And a ton of other things I could use advice on.

I've decided to not mod my 07 2.5i for power. I mainly just want to mod it for aesthetics and sound now

i figured it wouldn't hurt me too badly financially just to have a nice clean ride to get me throughout college - as of right now I'm not interested in having a faster car , just something clean and sounds nice.

I'm keeping all the stock parts for when I eventually sell it. ( which I'll probably sell it in 5+ years or maybe keep it as my daily and buy another faster car that I can mod performance wise) that's way down the line though.

Anyways,

Aesthetic mods.

De-badge, I'm on the fence about keeping the oem subaru stars badge or replacing it with jdm legacy badge, or just keeping the full de-badge

Spoiler:

I want to replace the stock spoiler on my legacy. It doesn't look half bad, but the rear lip spoilers look so much better.

so far, it looks like I just have to take the trunk roof carpet off, disconnect some wires, and unbolt.

I know I'll have to plug the holes , but what do I do with the wires that lead the to the brake light that's on the stock spoiler?

Anyone know where I can find the k2/stanza or cyber r rear lip spoiler? Or any similar spoiler ? And are these spoilers bolt on?

I also kind of like the look of no spoiler at all, but I kinda want to follow Arith's lead with the rear window spoiler:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mod-pics-97715.html

rims:

I know what rims and tires I want . package deal it's gonna cost $1,400 dollars for everything. ( I am somewhat tempted to buy one rim and one tire at a time), I'm not buying new rims and tires anytime soon, but until then I was thinking about plastidipping the rims matte black until I can get the full package of tires and rims. I'm not sure if my rims would look better than the stock rim color ( my legacy is gray)

the rims are 18s x8 and the tires are going to be 225/40/18. I'm going for a "meaty flush" look, which is a stance,I know stance is pretty looked down upon, but the meaty flush look but leaves me pretty of ground clearance. which brings me over to suspension. any negative camber I have will look barely noticeable probably.

Suspension:

I'm still on the fence of coilovers vs springs and struts. I'm not tracking the car or anything just daily driving it. Price wise, springs and struts wins, but with the flush/stance look I'm going for should I get coilovers?

These mods aren't happening any time soon btw, the build will probably be completed over the course of a couple years, but I'm modding so I'm happy. And again with the stance, I know it's looked down upon, but the performance tuner and performance vehicle crowd just isn't my crowd right now, while the stance community only cares if you're low, and also, "meaty flush" I've been getting info from another guy about stance and he says the meaty flush look will leave me plenty of ground clearance.

Also body kits: I'm interested in some body kits, I know that's the riciest thing I've said so far, but I just feel like a body kit will really compliment the flush look. I can do the searching on my own and I'll try to keep it tasteful as possible, but any advice leading me in the right direction of where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Sound:

I usually ask this and people think I'm aiming for performance gains. I mainly just want my car to sound nice, and performance gains are a plus.

Exhaust: I wanna go Borla. I'm not aiming for performance, so I was wondering if I could just get some universal borla mufflers?.

I'm fine with getting the full exhuast too, but how loud will a full exhuast go?

Like I don't want to be obnoxiously loud. still decently loud, but not like straight piped or anything, but still want to be noticed driving by.

uel headers:

I have no idea how to go about uel headers, this'll probably be my very last mod as well, as I'm not too pressed about it since I think my car will sound pretty decent after I install borla.

with mike apparently gone from rallisport I'm not quite sure on how to get uel headers.

mini rant: I know aftermarket support for this car is terrible but I didn't think it'd be this bad, it seems like it won't be long for the aftermarket support for this car dies out completely. I've been looking at sold out parts all day, and it seems like rallisport isn't going to be much help either.

altogether this seems pretty expensive but this is going to be a long-haul build for a car I don't think I'm getting rid of anytime soon. Hopefully in summer I'll have more hours and my bank account should be pretty decent. I'll probably start paying for mods in march 2017.

any cheaper routes to go about it would be appreciated.

:lol: bruh, come on we already told you in your other thread. Keep the car the way it is and save your money. If you want to do some things, do some safety upgrades. Get yourself a HID conversion kit, or LED bulbs for your high and low beams if they're compatible with the car. LED bulbs for your tail lights and turn signals, map, dome and vanity lights too. They're the best things you can do for the car. That will run you all of $200 max. If you want to plasti dip your wheels go ahead, but don't stance the car. I cringe when I see guys with WRX's stancing their car and I hate the fact that all the aftermarket wheels I'm finding for my car are all ridiculous sizes like 18 x 9.5 or more, god forbid a wheel company makes a 18 x 8.5 wheel anymore. A subaru is a practical car, stancing it takes all of your practicality out of it.

Just save your money, in your college years you should be worrying about the next girl to bang or party to go to filled with chicks, not modifying your only source of transportation. You're in college, whether you have a sick ride or not isn't going to get you more friends/girls. The kids who do are silver spoon kids with money for other nice things in life too.

Aha I go to community college, and I'm used to being attracted to girls who don't want me back so I'm taking a break from girls from now.

Come to think of it, needing something to take my mind off girls was why I got into cars and modification in the first place :lol:

Well if you're trying to make it your hobby, sell the 2.5i and get an LGT or a WRX. You're young, this is the time for you to have that fast car you dreamed of getting. To be fair as much we make fun of norulzlegacy he's married, has a house, has a baby so he's doing what he can within his means. Sure there's options out there of things to do to the 2.5i but you're wasting your money and the car will be rice honestly. If selling and getting another car isn't in your interest, find another hobby. Hit the gym hard and often, apply for your Firearms license and take up shooting guns recreationally as a hobby. You could also get better at talking to girls :hide:

Aha I go to community college, and I'm used to being attracted to girls who don't want me back so I'm taking a break from girls from now.

Come to think of it, needing something to take my mind off girls was why I got into cars and modification in the first place :lol:

The 13th grade can be rough :redface:

But if you cant get your dick wet in collage there is something very wrong :lol:

I wouldn't bother changing the color of stock wheels, IMO they look better from the factory. Aftermarket wheels can look better but I would probably pair them with coilovers to close up the wheel gap, while netting some handling advantages. I think getting a set of used wheels is a good idea to save you some money, since it's an older car at this stage. Not sure I follow with getting one tire at a time...the car is AWD and you want to keep the circumference of the tires equivalent on all fours to ensure symmetry in the drivetrain.

Full exhaust isn't really going to be viable on the 2.5i, easiest thing to do would be axleback, ie. mufflers which if you want to go the Borla route is fine. But you could end up getting drone, and honestly on stock power...it's a little lame making all that noise for nothing.

A trunk swap would be necessary for getting rid of the stock spoiler, otherwise you'll just be left with holes in trunk lid if you remove it.

Don't lower it too much unless you don't mind risking bump steer. Get some Bilsteins and pink springs and a stiffer rear sway bar. And get some decent tires. You are not going to make a 2.5i much faster than stock but you can sure make it handle better.

Do everything you want to do to the car man. Its your car, your money. if you got the cash to blow on it like some do then go for it. I will pm you, there are many non-performance things you can do to the car to make it yours. there is no need for LGT or WRX :)

Do everything you want to do to the car man. Its your car, your money. if you got the cash to blow on it like some do then go for it. I will pm you, there are many non-performance things you can do to the car to make it yours. there is no need for LGT or WRX :)

There isn't a need for it but I'm sure when you were in your early 20's, you were modding a fast car, not a all wheel drive economy car.

By the time I turn 22 ( 2 years from now) at least I think I want a daily and a bike. I wanna do daily driver mods to daily driver which'll probably be my car and the bike I'll probably tinker with.

But with that in mind, is having a clean lowered 2.5i with some sound mods so much worse than having a clean wrx ?

I don't mean that in an argumentive tone, I'm genuinely curious.

I mean on road I've seen modded civics ( the commuter kind), accords scion xBs, matrixes, and all sorts of NA cars modded. Even some old saturns.

I mean I'd be all for a daily wrx and bike for a playtime, but at 22, the insurance, and the extra thousands of dollars I'd have to save for the wrx...I dunno.

Idk what I wanna do. This is all hypothetical and stuff until I have the money to show for it.

When you see modded Civics, Scions and matrixes, do you laugh at them? That's the equivalent of what's going on here when we see people mod their 2.5i's. Ultimately it's your money but you're coming on a forum aimed at Turbo platform subaru's, so of course everyone's advice here is going to tell you to get a GT or a WRX. Money wise it is still smarter to sell and buy one of them, if you want a good sounding exhaust especially on a used WRX or LGT, you could get a catback for $500 or less on a forum and boom, you have boxer rumble. You can do the header mod to the 2.5i but it still won't have the same boxer sound as their turbo counterparts do. You also have endless options for modifying a LGT or WRX with parts in all sorts of price ranges, that's the advantage to having a turbo Subie vs. a non turbo subie if you want to modify.

Save for the wrx and bike it is then. It's going to be humongous pain in the butt trying to save for it though.

Also gonna be a pain in the butt trying to find a wrx that hasn't been abused too badly :lol:

at the modded matrixes and elantras and stuff, I don't really laugh at them I just figure they're poor like me.

the $2000 was my ballpark guesstimate of what the mods I wanted to do would cost me. As of right now I'm like really poor, like almost payed off my credit card poor.

I'm probably way in over my head but I know this is something I've been wanting to do for awhile, I'd probably feel so much happier and confident once I pull this off.

I just read through all this and you are very very close in age to me so I figure mindset is very similar. I'm just finishing my 3rd year at a full university and will be graduating next spring and I have dumped so much money into my LGT it isn't even funny. If I could do it over again I probably would have kept the LGT stock and saved up all the money I've spent on it and could have gotten a bike by now to have as a daily, perks of living in CA, and not have this endless money pit of a car. I do get excitement out of my car though and that is really what matters. If you can make a clean, lowered, tastefully done car why not? I always laugh at the WRX's and STi's that are "Internet Famous" for being low and then have a built engine making pretty big numbers when they can't use that power without breaking something. I've got a friend with a 2009 Outback Sport that is bagged and on nice wheels. Is it clean, yes. Does he enjoy it, yes. is it fast, no but that doesn't matter because he wanted a good reliable car that he could make look good. I'm constantly worried about having something major fail on my engine and then having to pay to ship my car to my parents house in WA to be able to fix it during the summer when I am home and have more free time.

Its all up to you but from what I read it sounds like you want to keep the legacy and maybe do a few visual mods but then save up for a bike to have as your toy.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I'm 20 years old, and am in my second year of college, about to change majors from Computer Science to becoming a mechanic. Much more money in programming, but I'm not passionate about it, cars have always been my thing. Making the choice to chase something I love rather than the money. Anyway, I myself have a slightly modified 2.5i. It is all visual besides a Magnaflow catback, but for less than $300 you can make it look pretty clean lol.

Get yourself some Rally Armor mudflaps like every other Subaru guy, will run you about $120. Get some used wheels, I got mine for $75, and dipped them for $30. I just got a front lip for $50 as well that I will be dipping tomorrow and

putting it on. Put a few stickers on for some flare, I don't like to go overboard like most people though, and currently only have a total of 5 stickers on my car lol, however adding a banner next week.

http://i.imgur.com/4BiGJrM.jpg

Is it wise to drop a ton of money into a 2.5i? Probably not. But do what you like. For $300 I turn heads VERY frequently, everywhere I go. I suggest getting some mufflers to get your car a little louder as well.

P.S. Use index cards or take your wheels off before dipping them, or you'll get lovely tire dip lmao. I'm going to fix that tomorrow morning, this pic was taken yesterday. (My buddy I bought the car off of put the hood, flaps, and exhaust on before purchasing, not taking his credit.)

I just read through all this and you are very very close in age to me so I figure mindset is very similar. I'm just finishing my 3rd year at a full university and will be graduating next spring and I have dumped so much money into my LGT it isn't even funny. If I could do it over again I probably would have kept the LGT stock and saved up all the money I've spent on it and could have gotten a bike by now to have as a daily, perks of living in CA, and not have this endless money pit of a car. I do get excitement out of my car though and that is really what matters. If you can make a clean, lowered, tastefully done car why not? I always laugh at the WRX's and STi's that are "Internet Famous" for being low and then have a built engine making pretty big numbers when they can't use that power without breaking something. I've got a friend with a 2009 Outback Sport that is bagged and on nice wheels. Is it clean, yes. Does he enjoy it, yes. is it fast, no but that doesn't matter because he wanted a good reliable car that he could make look good. I'm constantly worried about having something major fail on my engine and then having to pay to ship my car to my parents house in WA to be able to fix it during the summer when I am home and have more free time.

My first car was an 100k mile Toyota Truck my dad gave me. It was great, I drove it 4 years until the frame had big rot hole. I spent $500 on repairs and solid it for $500. I went to replace my daily truck and I bought a 90k mile 85 Toyota Supra in great shape to get me through the last 2 years of college. Then I made a mistake. I started to modify my daily driver, ended up replacing the motor, suspension, stereo upgrades. I was sickened to see when I added up all the receipts after I graduated college and realized that I had $16500 into $3500 car. I should have kept it stock and repaired it as necessary. I could have easily paid for a good chunk of my student loans if I hadn't modified that car. A life lesson learned.

If you are broke, save your $. Your going to have car repairs. Keep the mods down to minimum, they don't add value.

I'll also add on stereo upgrades are great! For an average user just adding a subwoofer and new head unit to flatten out the EQ should suffice, since the stock speakers are OK for stock.

dgoodhue also has a very good point. You could save that money for later. However, we don't own Supras (wish I did, even MK3s such as his) so getting high up there in receipts will be much harder with an NA car since there's nothing for us to really do :).

Archived