LegacyGT.com

"Trippy" install

scottmcphee

I made a mod I call "Trippy" that drives the trip computer, cycling through its display sequence automatically. Of course it's user programmable and has some neat-o features. The install is stealth, goes right inside the trip computer / clock assembly. You have to solder 4 thin wires to 4 points on the clock circuit board and tuck the postage stamp sized circuit board in there too (see photos). When the clock is put back together you can't tell Trippy is installed. You just use the DISP button on the clock to use Trippy features.

Here's how it goes in the car:

IMG_5352.JPG.ff6a706539c40820a63b13945340fdd7.JPG

IMG_5355.JPG.79efd9a6c1c960d5b67b1a26c11d0b51.JPG

IMG_5359.JPG.c60fd19ece1acebfd559fa934f7293e3.JPG

IMG_5370.JPG.07fdb59ab3151a76b13f4787934bef6c.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG.f9a8fc5a0c3c9e70d0905b0b224c95f9.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG.20c276d5c63fee65f69a9a883968f91c.JPG

IMG_5405.JPG.bef72bda23c7228d66dc2298a2e079e5.JPG

IMG_5408.JPG.a866bef32989937818ec2e062d3843e7.JPG

;User Guide

;----------

;Pressing the DISP button advances the trip display to the next item, as usual.

;

;Trippy adds features and commands to the trip computer to cycle the display, when the DISP

;button is used in the following ways:

;

;CYCLE

; Pressing DISP for 2 seconds advances the display to the next item and starts display cycling.

; Cycling shows each item for 15 seconds (by default) before automatically advancing to the next

; and runs in a continuous loop until canceled, or the ignition is turned off.

;

;CANCEL

; Pressing DISP advances the display to the next item and stops the display from cycling.

;

;AUTO-CYCLE

; Holding DISP for 10 seconds advances the display to the next item, starts display cycling,

; and enables auto-cycle mode. Auto-cycle mode starts display cycling each time the ignition

; switch is turned on. In this mode items are displayed for 6 seconds before advancing to the next.

; CANCEL and CYCLE may be used in this mode to stop and re-start cycling while the car is running,

; but display time remains 6 seconds while this mode is enabled.

;

;AUTO-CYCLE CANCEL

; Holding DISP for 10 seconds advances the display to the next item, stops display cycling,

; and disables auto-cycle mode. The 15 second default or user programmed times (if set) are

; restored for the next use of the CYCLE command.

;

;LEARN MODE

; Holding DISP while starting the car (turning ignition on) enters learn mode. This mode lets

; you set a preferred time for each item displayed in the loop when CYCLE command is used.

; Times can be as short as you like or extended to the maximum of about 15 seconds.

;

; Do as follows:

;

; 1. Manually advance the display to show Temperature before turning the ignition off.

;

; 2. Hold DISP while starting the car.

;

; 3. Releasing DISP starts the timing sequence for the first display item.

;

; 4. Press and release DISP when you are satisfied with the amount of time

; the item has been displayed and want to advance to the next item. Not pressing

; DISP within 15 seconds causes the display to advance by itself and records

; 15 seconds for that item.

;

; 5. Repeat this process for each item in the display, ending back at Temperature.

;

; Ending learn mode records all timings for future use of CYCLE command, disables

; auto-cycle mode (if it was enabled).

; Scott McPhee, Copyright 2007 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

; no unauthorized use of documentation, source or object code permitted

; without expressed permission

when you take apart the trip computer, make sure the 'screen' is facing downward!!! There are many long buttons and rubber pieces that will not fall out if you do it this way. Eventually they will, but you can at least make note of their orientation before putting them aside.

and holy cow that circuit looks a lot more complicated than it needs to be. that processor is too robust for the task!

and holy cow that circuit looks a lot more complicated than it needs to be. that processor is too robust for the task!

I build good! Actually, it's only because I have a bizillion of the MCU's on hand. The code will compile and run on any Atmel AVR (with a little EEPROM and built-in osc.). And yes, an 8 pin device would be fine. As you can see, it only needs 4 wires... so a 4 pin device would be sweet, but Atmel doesn't make one so small. Microchip makes a real cutie 10F series, but I'm not tooled for that.

Scott

I was thinking of offering just the preprogrammed microchip (in a DIP package, so its workable). I will post the schematic here too. HINT: if your powers of investigation are strong, you can already see the schematic in this thread. (You kinda have to piece it together tho.)

My thinking is, if you are confident enough to solder wires to the back of the clock board, then you are probably competent enough to build the little circuit yourself. And the other parts are quite vanilla, with non-critical values so they are in your parts drawer, or easy to get. I guess I could sell a kit of parts too. But I wanted to keep this cheap, and for me to build them the price goes up. Thoughts?

Scott

Scott, is this available as an SMT part? What is the total part count? Do you not have time to do this? Maybe we can work something with Jazzy to offer the part on his site, you get a royalty for each one sold.

I've got the ability to get the boards made through PCB Express, if the part count isn't high I can probably assemble them in my spare time.

Either way, I'd be game to try to make on of these.

I'm a software engineer turned into a circuit assembler by need for a project I'm working on, I've spent the last several weeks building boards under a microscope :cool:

Any idea on how many people are interested in one of these?

I was thinking of offering just the preprogrammed microchip (in a DIP package, so its workable). I will post the schematic here too. My thinking is, if you are confident enough to solder wires to the back of the clock board, then you are probably competent enough to build the little circuit yourself. And the other parts are quite vanilla, with non-critical values so they are in your parts drawer, or easy to get. I guess I could sell a kit of parts too. But I wanted to keep this cheap, and for me to build them the price goes up. Thoughts?

Scott

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Scott, is this available as an SMT part? What is the total part count? Do you not have time to do this? Maybe we can work something with Jazzy to offer the part on his site, you get a royalty for each one sold.

I've got the ability to get the boards made through PCB Express, if the part count isn't high I can probably assemble them in my spare time.

Either way, I'd be game to try to make on of these.

I'm a software engineer turned into a circuit assembler by need for a project I'm working on, I've spent the last several weeks building boards under a microscope :cool:

Any idea on how many people are interested in one of these?

Well, yes I could supply SMT parts instead of thru-hole. I assemble and sell a bunch of devices for cars (www.autowindow.com is all my stuff) and whipped up this Trippy prototype on a piece of AutoWindow circuit board using its SMT processor that I have kicking around. I have all the tools to work with SMT but most people don't, so offering a more standard 0.1" DIP package is probably more manageable for home-built - and done right will still fit inside the clock.

Yup, time really is the issue. My sense on this one is that interest is probably quite limited so I didn't want to make a run of boards. I just wanted to share the joy for those who are willing to work with it themselves. The biggest spook factor here is soldering to the clock PCB. Most people don't want to attempt that I bet. But I would offer the pre-programmed part which is the biggest challenge for people who want to have a little fun putting their own together, without getting into programming their own devices.

Funny - your story about assembling under a microscope - I burned the tip of my nose last week using an iron to fix a buddy's cell phone with parts so small I needed a jeweler's loupe to see the damn resistors! I had to dremel the tip of the iron to a fine pin point.. that is getting stupid small. Anyway, got it working in the end so saved him a few bux.

Cheers

Scott

Well I know not to have the business end of the iron in my face, but it is amazing how fast your fingers get close to it when working with solder about the size of a hair. All my circuits have been SMT with resistors slightly larger than a large grain of sand. Good thing it is so small, it hides my poor soldering skilz.

OK, well if you care to let me take a crack at one I'd love to. I'm constantly mashing the DISP button. Let's work something out.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Here's the schematic. 6 parts in addition to the microcontroller. But in all fairness I used a specially packaged pair of transistors which unto itself houses 6 parts.. So say a dozen parts if they are all loose.

Notes:

The numbers in "quotes" are the solder-to points on the clock PCB. These points were labeled as such on my clock, in white letters.

Vcc for the AVR chip is the same as the clock, 5 volts, how handy.

Caps are 0.1uF ceramic.

The pullup on reset is 4k7 not 4.7 ohms like you might think from the schematic.

One AVR I/O pin is tied directly to the clock DISP button line. I measured .5 mA holding the DISP line up, safe for AVR limits pulling down.

The two transistors between IGN line and AVR shift the IGN voltage level from 12V to 5V, tied to AVR reset. When the car is off, reset gets pulled down to keep Trippy quiet.. and ignoring the DISP button when the car is off.

Note, there are 4k7 current limiting series resistors on the bases of the two transistors that don't show up well, and 47k resistors between base and emitter of each that don't show up at all.. both emitters are tied to ground. These resistors and transistors all fit into one tiny dual-NPN SMT package I used - keeps the clutter down. These NPNs are used in fully saturated switch mode, any common NPN would work.

The unlabeled resistor to 5volts is 3k3 if I recall.. or thereabouts.

This whole circuit with resistor values used, draws about 10mA. A car battery would keep this alive for about 50 years if you didn't drive the car at all.. so... good enough for practical purposes.

Image2.thumb.jpg.a58869116a0aa23452bea87e10aef367.jpg

I'm constantly mashing the DISP button. Let's work something out.

Dude! I know it.. drove me over the edge enough to make Trippy.

"Necessity" is a strong motivator for invention. Whenever I think "this car should have come working this way".. and it doesn't, I make it.

How about paypal me $26.49 and you get a programmed chip and all the SMT parts as shown in my schematic, including the funky dual transistor, and you supply the board, the wires, and all the love? You're gonna need some fine traces and pads to bolt this stuff down but some of these hobby SMT boards with fine pitch will probably do. The AVR is SSOP, the transistor is the UMG8 version of this http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/rohm/umg8n.pdf, other parts are 0805 or bigger.

If somebody wants all thru-hole parts kit for easier handling and assembly onto a very common 0.1" pitch hobby board, that will be $28.76 please.

This limited time offer is good for anybody who wants it, PM me for the paypal instructions and to get your address. Goes letter post, anywhere in the world for that money.

Cheers

Scott

Hey Mikey, she likes it!

Wife just called, she said she likes Trippy.

This is the ultimate user test and compliment.

She uses its auto-cycle mode, and likes:

- timing is spaced just right, 6 seconds apart

- keep my hands on the wheel, just glance down to see different things

- starts cycling without doing anything (just by starting the car)

will the ET still retain it's override function at 1 hour intervals to display ET over whatever else is currently being displayed? I like the "Another hour just went by" function when it flashes to let me know that I have been sitting in traffic all morning. I dunno why I klike it, but I do.

I am quite interested in the trippy though!!

will the ET still retain it's override function at 1 hour intervals to display ET over whatever else is currently being displayed? I like the "Another hour just went by" function when it flashes to let me know that I have been sitting in traffic all morning. I dunno why I klike it, but I do.

I am quite interested in the trippy though!!

ET on the hour, and temperature warning (nearing freezing) still work the way they do - they will change the display to what needs to be displayed and show it.

Scott

And normal (stock) use of pressing the DISP button when the car is off lights the clock and shows time for 5 seconds, then goes off. Did you know this was a stock function?

Scott

you can also check how much gas you have without turning on the car by pressing the trip button [ i thought that was pretty cool, yet ive only had to use it once :lol:]

ET on the hour, and temperature warning (nearing freezing) still work the way they do - they will change the display to what needs to be displayed and show it.

Scott

That is awesome.

I am even more interested. Can't wait for an opp to buy one!

you can also check how much gas you have without turning on the car by pressing the trip button [ i thought that was pretty cool, yet ive only had to use it once :lol:]

Actually, pressing trip shows fuel AND odometer,

the two things that make a great rental car check-in feature,

but not many shops rent Subaru.

This sounds like fun. If you and Zinfreak are serious enough to do a run of boards, I'll donate my time to assemble SMT versions, provided I get one to play with! (hardware guy here, spend WAY too much time looking through a scope debugging boards).

this circuit is so simple, the thru-hole version parts kit I offer can easily be assembled on .1" perf hobby board, that RadioShack sells, you'd have no trouble if you know which end of a soldering iron to use

Cheers

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Archived