LegacyGT.com

Oil leak - head gasket?

My '07 2.5i is a sloppy mess with oil on the underside of the engine, around the oil pan, coating the lower engine mounts, and the driver's side of the steering rack and hydraulic lines. I am now suspecting that both head gaskets are shot, and am looking for some second opinions before taking it to a mechanic or continuing DIY. Below are a couple photos both taken from under the car on the drivers side and passenger side respectively.

Up to this point, I have traced and fixed three other leak sources: 1) oil pressure sensor, 2) valve cover gasket, and 3) power steering pump (while this isn't engine oil, it was a fluid leak). After repairing these leaks, I degreased as much of the engine as I could without getting myself soaked in degreaser.

The top half of the engine remains clean. I do not see signs of leakage from the timing belt cover seems, which I would take to mean I may be leaking from the cam seals or crank/oil pump seal (the car is due shortly for a timing belt change).

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z291/quietriotNPD/20150212_170819_zps656940cc.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z291/quietriotNPD/20150212_171130_zpsfc2bd570.jpg

Sadly the head gasket issue wasn't fixed for the 2.5i 4th gen legacys like everyone who's bought one had hoped.

Summer 2014 I had to replace both sides of my 06 2.5i after dealing with the leak since December 2012 when it was diagnosed at the dealership. Leak started at 80,000km and was fixed at 95,000km

I can't quite tell you one way or another from the pics, just that it is certainly a possibility.

Those deff need to be replaced. I'm certified at a Subaru dealership and if that was on my lift I'd suggest it. They always start in the back like that and the leak creeps forward. My normal parts list for a head gasket job is; headgaskets, head bolts (two diff kinds- 4 center 8 outer) spark plug tube gaskets, rocker cover gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, water pump and gasket, tensioner, timing belt. I suggest replacing all of this since you're already in there. This is basically a complete gasket refresh.I'm sure you have some oil burning smell as it is dripping on the exhaust most likely. Another sign on the driver side is that the rack will be covered in oil. Your issue is for sure head gasket a, I do em alllll the time. Best of luck to ya

Thanks for the replies!

...have you done the oil cooler gasket?...

I am almost certain that the 2.5i does not have an oil cooler.

...My normal parts list for a head gasket job is; headgaskets, head bolts (two diff kinds- 4 center 8 outer) spark plug tube gaskets, rocker cover gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, water pump and gasket, tensioner, timing belt....

Why "water pump and gasket, tensioner, timing belt"? Other than the fact that I am due for a timing belt change, I would look at these as being unnecessary.

Because your already in there. The timing belt should obviously be done, reason I say tensioner is because on this engine the hydraulic piston will start to leak over time. Easy way to tell is if you take tensioner off and if the top of it where the piston is is covered or wet with oil then its failing. Its not engine oil its the oil from inside he tensioner leaking out. So I generally just replace it since you literally have to take it off anyways. Last thing you want is to have it fail then your fresh engine jumps timing. As for the water pump, I'm sure youhave a decent number of mileson her so why not give it a new pump while your right here. Never bad to replace that as preventative maintenance. It adds about ten mins of labor.

Been searching the forums for advice and instructions on head gasket replacement as well as soliciting local shops. Unfortunately, lots of valuable information out there, so I am not feeling lonely in my predicament.

How can I estimate how long I have until replacement is a must do? My oil consumption has been minimal over the last 500 miles, but I leak a few drops every time I park. I have no signs of coolant contamination nor any noticeable burning of oil or coolant. I do have the usual odor of oil dripping on to the exhaust. I estimate that it's been about 10-15k miles since the head gaskets started leaking and I have 103k on the odometer.

So far, I have quotes between $2800-$3200 for both head gaskets and timing belt change (along with all the usual replacement items).

At those prices, I am very much inclined to DIY, but am limited on space. I would only be able to DIY without pulling the engine. I welcome any thoughts on this route. There are a few youtube videos and threads on head gasket replacement without pulling the engine.

That's too much for that job.I work at a Subaru dealership and we charge in the 21-2500 range with water ump and tensioner. If you work on your car a lot and know how to use a torque wrench there's no reason you can do diy you will save so much money. Parts for you at a dealer (get OEM everything. Its just better) about a grand. Maybe a bit less depending on your style water pump. As for doing it in car, I always do it that way. Just take the bottom two mount nuts off then take a floor jack and s block of wood and jack up right under the crane ppully on the case. Then you can push motor side to side to get better access. Next time I do a head job which I'm sure will be within the month, I will take pics and do s full write up on how to do it. Think that might help a lot of people here. If your decently mechanically inclined you csn doit in a weejend. I've done in hours before but average time is about 7 for me. If you have any more questions I can deff help you

Next time I do a head job which I'm sure will be within the month, I will take pics and do s full write up on how to do it. Think that might help a lot of people here. If your decently mechanically inclined you csn doit in a weejend. I've done in hours before but average time is about 7 for me. If you have any more questions I can deff help you

That would be very cool, and greatly appreciated!

So here is my shopping list...if I go all OEM...for 2007 2.5i.

Head Gasket items

Head Gaskets - 11044AA633 - x 2

Intake Gaskets - 14035AA383 - x 2

Exhaust Gaskets - 44011AC030 - x 2

Valve Cover Gaskets - 13594AA070 - x 2

Spark Plug Tube Seals - 10966AA030 - x 4

Fill Tube O-Ring - 806923060 - x 1

@~$140

Machine Heads - x 2

@~$170

Subtotal: ~$310

Timing Belt items

Timing Belt - 13028AA21B - x 1

Idler 1 - 13073AA142 - x 1

Idler 2 - 13073AA190 - x 1

Idler 3 - 13085AA061 - x 1

Tensioner - 13033AA042 - x 1

Crankshaft Oil Seal - 806733030 - x 1

Camshaft Oil Seal - 806732150 - x 2

Water Pump - 21111AA280 - x 1

Water Pump Gasket - 21114AA051 - x 1

Thermostat & Gasket - 21210AA080 - x 1

Subtotal: ~$480

Other items

Oil

Coolant

What am I missing?

Subtotal: ~$50

Total: ~$840+

I could use some resources on how/whether to change the camshaft and crankshaft oil seals.

What about any special tools? Like something to remove the harmonic balancer and cam pulleys?

• 3 weeks later...
22mm socket and breaker bar for balancer and 17mm for the cam sprockets. Cam and crank seals are not hard to replace once the sprockets and balancer/sprocket is off. Need an oil filter too. You can just rock the balancer off once the bolt is out. Guess what I am doing on my 05 now. It has been leaking 100000 miles. Really big mess under there! Change spark plugs too while you're a it.

My question is... can the heads be torqued for example 20 ftlb 50 ftlb 80 ftlb instead of the 22ftlb, 5ftlb back off 180*, back off 180*, torque to 11ftlb, torque to 22 ftlb. These are made up numbers by the way.

Archived