LegacyGT.com

Is my car dead/about to die? help!

SUMMARY: one shop says engine is toast, one said needs plugs. Replaced plugs. Temporary fix, bad problems now.

I have an 05 OBXT 5EAT 147,000miles. Stock except intake and cobb ap. (And coilovers) Been having some weird things lately. It threw a misfire on cylinder 1 so I took it to a shop. They told me they found metal in the oil, motor was shot, turbo was dead. This surprised me as it had been running not too bad before I took it in. Took it to my trusted shop for a second opinion. They said the plugs and wires were bad. Spent $500 and they replaced plugs and wires. Told me they didn't see any metal in the oil. Called the first shop and he said they did an "oil change" but on the invoice there was nothing of that matter. After the second shop did the plugs it drove good. Then today, it had horrible idle, bad hesitation, and felt like it was going to stall. I am out if ideas. Don't have money to put into it. Don't know what to do. Car has also been throwing a P2016 TGV code but I have been ignoring it. Could the tgv be the problem?

Car doesn't feel like the turbo is dead/diying. I haven't seen metal in the oil, what's next? Please help me

TGV's can get stuck shut and cause the TGV's motors to fail and throw codes, unless you have the codes tuned out. I would look at both O2 sensors as well. Clean your MAF and air filter while you are at it.

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

You do know your car does not have plug wires ?

Have you ever replaced the black o-rings between the intake manifold and TGV's ?

GT's are known for that issue. When you see the new orange o-rings next to the black ones you'll understand.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yea, pretty common problem in cold weather. I replaced mine 4 years ago.

You may want to spend time in the 4th gen legacy GT forum. Lot's of the same issue because the engines are the same.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

Archived