LegacyGT.com

Front end squealing (sounds like a hybrid)

I am the new owner of a 06 Outback XT Limited auto w/ the 5EAT with just under 50k. The car runs, drives and looks perfect as it was owned by an older lawyer. Thing is, sometimes when I am pulling up to a stop after driving it for a couple of miles I hear this weird high pitch squealing sound coming from the front left wheel. Kinda like like the sound a hybrid prius makes when its going down the road. Its not all that loud, as when the stereo is turned on you cant even hear it. When I am at speed it drives and sounds normal. Sometimes it makes the sound, sometimes it doesn't. It does not make any difference if its in drive or not. I can make it do it forward and backwards, but again only at slow speed, less than 5 mph. I know its not a wheel bearing, as I have had many cars in my past have them go bad.

At this point it is not really a problem, but I want to know what the hell it might be. Taking it to the dealer will probably result in loosing my car for a day or two while some pimple faced tech takes it out for a joy ride so that they can tell me there is nothing wrong with it. I bought it from a dealer here in southern california along with a extended gold 100k warranty so if $hit hits the fan I think I will be alright. Any suggestions? I have searched and searched a bunch of suby sites with nothing coming close to what I have. Thanks guys.

Ok I guess I will answer my own question. Took it to the dealer and it turns out it was the front left wheel bearing. Took them a couple of hours to diagnose, but its fixed now.

Archived