LegacyGT.com

Replacing broken stud on STI Uppipe

ConeEluder

So I bought a STI uppipe off craigslist for $40, couldn't pass it up. Problem is, like most other STI uppipes one of the studs is broken. Why is that? Every STI uppipe I've seen has had one broken stud. Anyways...

How can this be fixed/replaced? Can I remove a stud from my catted uppipe and use that on the STI uppipe?

Also - the heat shield welds have broken. People suggest rewelding them instead of removing the heat shields. Why? How's it any different than an aftermarket uppipe?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if you have any pics up since i am at work but you would need two bolts and you would place them on the broken stud. Then loosen the one on the bottom and tighten the one on the top of the stud. After that is set, you take another wrench and twist both at the same time so that the stud acts like a screw your loosening. You will need a crap load of pb blaster. Also you could always do the heat up with blow torch and cool down with cold water trick which makes the loosening a bit easier. I forgot the technical term for it, welders might know.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

It wont make any BIG difference what you do...but the "only" real advantage in removing the shield is to prevent future cracks in the welds which will cause rattles. Either re-weld & add more welds to prevent future rattling or take it off...which ever is easier for you.

In general heat shields are there to reduce radiant heat under the hood. Also they reduce energy lost by the exhaust on its way to the turbo. More heat means more exhaust volume. So the hotter the exhaust is when it reaches the turbo the faster it will spin. With a TMIC some of the heat lost by the up pipe may raise the temperature of the intercooler and reduce its cooling capacity. That's a very basic overview of the reasons to have heat shields. So leave them if you can. Header wraps can cause rust so unless you have stainless parts they are not a good substitute. Coatings like grimmspeed puts on also work on this principle.

Archived