LegacyGT.com

Engine stays revved when clutch is in.

Hello,

I have a 2005 legacy gt with just under 80K miles. When I press the clutch in and let off the gas, the engine stays revved and slowly drops until I let out the clutch again. It doesn't happen in every gear change and I notice it more in lower gears. Any ideas of what might be causing this?

Thanks,

Do the rpms drop to ~1300 before dropping to idle while you are coasting at speed?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

^ right, this is not normal. Mine has never done that, even with the LWFW. Push in the clutch, let off the gas, the engine comes right down to idle. At any speed.

Sounds like the OP needs to have a lap top plugged in while he drives and watch the logs to see which sensor is hanging up. May be he can find a Tuner to help him with this.

I know of a good Tuner down by Maryland International Raceway, but that may be to far for you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I work just outside of Baltimore. It is normal if the engine should remain at high idle for a second if you push the clutch in at speed. Right around 1300rpm, then, it'll drop to normal idle.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Max,

I can actually hear Maryland International Raceway from my parents house. What does a Tuner do? Would I need to take it into his shop?

BAC,

It'll stay at 3K RPM and the car will jolt forward when I let the clutch out after changing gears. This isn't normal. Im going to check the hydraulic fluid today, do you think that might be causing it?

cseagle,

I haven't had the AC on too much lately but I'll do some experimenting on my lunch break.

Nope, that sure isn't normal! It likely has nothing to do with the clutch system or transmission.

I wonder if you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Max,

I can actually hear Maryland International Raceway from my parents house. What does a Tuner do? Would I need to take it into his shop?

QUOTE]

http://www.tempestracing.net/Home.html

Call Joe Simpson and talk with him if you'd like to get more performance out of your ECU. I know he's a big Honda guy. But one of the times at MIR he had a clients 1000hp Supra that he had tuned. So he may be able to plug in his lap top and help you out with more power. Or he may know of a good Subaru Tuner closer to you. You can tell him the guy from CT with the yellow single cam civic sent you. We used to pit next to him at the tracks if we could. His shop is with in a mile of the track.

For your current problem, I like said above, check fora simple vacuum leak. There are hoses close to the tmic inlet and kind of behind the Alternator in front of the intake manifold.

Another way to find it, if you have a air compressor is to take a pint size paint can, remove the intake hose from the air cleaner box, use the can to plug the hose. Then put a short burst of air into the vacuum line from the blow off valve. Put your thumb over the BOV hose and listen for leaks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

are there normal places for this to happen? my new car does the same thing. i know that there is a hose on the top of the engine that pops off under boost often (I glued my down and tip tied it). But are there other places to look?

Max,

QUOTE]

http://www.tempestracing.net/Home.html

Call Joe Simpson and talk with him if you'd like to get more performance out of your ECU. I know he's a big Honda guy. But one of the times at MIR he had a clients 1000hp Supra that he had tuned. So he may be able to plug in his lap top and help you out with more power. Or he may know of a good Subaru Tuner closer to you. You can tell him the guy from CT with the yellow single cam civic sent you. We used to pit next to him at the tracks if we could. His shop is with in a mile of the track.

For your current problem, I like said above, check fora simple vacuum leak. There are hoses close to the tmic inlet and kind of behind the Alternator in front of the intake manifold.

Another way to find it, if you have a air compressor is to take a pint size paint can, remove the intake hose from the air cleaner box, use the can to plug the hose. Then put a short burst of air into the vacuum line from the blow off valve. Put your thumb over the BOV hose and listen for leaks.

Thanks for the advice, I might have to get someone whos a little more handy under the hood to help me though.

Would a vacuum leak also cause an oil leak?

Would a vacuum leak also cause an oil leak?

No

If the PCV system is plugged that may, but that would be obvious.

Do you guy's have automatics or manual transmissions ?

Auto's I think have more vacuum lines.

Zip ties are good to use on the vacuum hoses. There is a hose that is under/in front of the tmic that may pop off too.

It is very easy to remove the tmic and zip tie the lines. You may need a little liquid dish soap on the inside of the throttle body hose to make it slip on the tmic neck for easy re-install.

Archived