LegacyGT.com

Windex on the paint of your car

Posted in general too, but ignore that one...

Alright, I've been meaning to know this for a while...

Windex...is it bad for the body paint on a car?

Cause my sister was cleaning/detailing my dad's car w/ it (spraying on the paint and wiping it) and I told her not to do it...

Why? Because ammonium is the base for that crap, (and please correct me if I'm wrong, that's why i'm posting here to find out) and it will damage the paint job...!!?? :spin:maybe not significantly or very fast, but it will, won't it?:iam:

Then my sister continued spraying and cleaning the car w/ windex after I specifically told her not to...typical:icon_roll

Windex won't wipe paint off. It actually won't really harm it at all. There are a lot harsher chemicals in most of the paint cleaners that are used out there. If you can use wheel cleaner on paint to remove water spots, then windex isn't going to hurt it. What your dad probably had come off was a layer of oxidation. Just because the rag comes back stained doesn't mean the product is eating through the paint. It may just mean that it is a really effective cleaner that has removed dead paint from the car.

Detailers have been using products like Windex on chrome bumpers and headlights for years. If it was truely dangerous to paint then there would be a product warning on the label. I wouldn't use it as a quick detailer or anything, but I wouldn't freak out if some got on the paint. I'd just wipe it off and forget about it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived