LegacyGT.com

Lost radio reception in 07 LGT Sedan

Wade-0

I recently installed a Kinivio BTC450 handsfree bluetooth module in my wife's LGT, mounted the controller above the factory stereo's main knob, and routed the AUX and Power wires down to the center console underneath the trim. I pulled out the center console, the shift boot, and the left side "wood grain" trim pieces to do this, but did not even touch the stereo. Now my wife is complaining that she can't get any FM radio stations.

Are there any common/obvious things I might have accidentally unplugged in the wiring under the center console that I can check before pulling everything out, including the factory stereo?

The antenna is in the rear window and presumably the coaxial cable is routed from the deck through the centre console to the rear window where the antenna resides. I do believe there is a second single-wire from the deck to a receive preamplifier near the antenna. Severing/disconnecting either of these will result in lacking FM reception.

In my Legacy the antenna cable itself is very fragile. This is not the typical 1/4" 75Ω coax cable used in most other cars.

The antenna is in the rear window and presumably the coaxial cable is routed from the deck through the centre console to the rear window where the antenna resides. I do believe there is a second single-wire from the deck to a receive preamplifier near the antenna. Severing/disconnecting either of these will result in lacking FM reception.

In my Legacy the antenna cable itself is very fragile. This is not the typical 1/4" 75Ω coax cable used in most other cars.

OK, sounds like I'm going to be pulling out the console. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

That was it. Completely broken right at the connection to the plug, and it looks way too fragile/tiny for me to solder it back together and looks like completely proprietary plug design. FML!!!! What a stupid design!

I managed to solder and recrimp the coax connector back on, so I'm back in business. What a pain in the butt! I suck at soldering, especially inside the car, but I lucked out this time.

I was gonna say, take a crack at soldering and you'll prolly get lucky. The more of it you do, the better you get at it.

I've been working on upgrading the lighting in both of our subies, so after I finished fixing her antenna I decided to mod the lighting relay in my WRX to keep the low beams on with the high beams. Since the soldering had gone so well on her antenna I must have been feeling overconfident, because I made a mess of it. Typical 😳

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
Any pictures of the area or coax itself? OR of the area around the antenna in the headliner?

Sorry, I didnt take any pics. It was in the lower left-hand area of the console, coming from under the carpet.

Archived