LegacyGT.com

DIY assisting spring for HD clutches makes shifting quick and effortless.

My last leggy had a very light clutch pedal(stock) with I became very fond of, but my spec B has an after market HD clutch which requires at least 3 times the pressure to operate it. While sitting in stop and go traffic the other day I was getting really tired of doing leg presses and though of a way to reduce the amount of force it takes to operate the clutch.

basically you attach a spring from the clutch push rod bracket toward the fire wall and attach it to the mounting base of the accelerator pedal assembly(you must drill a small hole in the top of the mounting base). I removed the accelerator assembly(two 12mm nuts) so I had room to work, it also makes attaching the spring easier because you can attach the spring then strech it as you bolt the pedal back down.

I bought a variety pack of springs from Lowes and used one that has probably a 6 to 10 pound pull(best guess). I had to shorten(cut) the spring a little to get the best pull from it.

This all cost me about $3 and took me an hour, but the results are priceless...quick and effortless(or less effort anyway) shifting.

Three things to remember:

1. don't forget to plug your accelerator back in or you will have to disconnect your battery to clear the CEL.

2. Be careful you do not have the spring too taught, if the pedal does not return to its original resting position your cruise control will not work and you may be riding the clutch all the time, which would shorten the life of your clutch.

3. As always, this is just something I did, if you choose to do something similar you are doing it entirely at your own risk.

IMAG0734.thumb.jpg.c8e0ede35914e04b2d6ae42a70981c20.jpg

Archived