LegacyGT.com

Fifth Generation- Official Power thread

So in reponse to some discussion in the random thoughts thread I decided to start a power thread. This thread is so that we can post our HP numbers and the mods that made those numbers possible. Obviously we can not all go to a Dyno, but we can all get Virtual Dyno. It is a free download and super easy to install. For those unfamiliar with it you simply upload a datalog and it does the rest. You will need an AP to get a datalog or it is also possible to use a laptop to get the same results. I propose that we can all post our virtual dyno results and that will give us a baseline for power numbers. It is not as accurate as a dyno, but it is free and works pretty damn good.

Here is how we need to set it up.

1. Download Virtual Dyno

2. Create a custom car(sorry they don;t have ours)

3. Configure the gears, drag coefficient, and weight. I use 3400 lbs plus driver weight. Probably best for us all to use the 3400. Drag info can be found here.

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Vehicle_Coefficient_of_Drag_List

4. Upload your datalog and post your results. Lets all use smoothing 3 as well. That will keep things consistent.

When we post a vdyno result. Please give a brief list of power mods. What gear pull you did and basic temp and road conditions. Then follow with a pic of your dyno.

Please feel free to add suggestions. I will post first.

Ok here goes.

10 LGT

BNR 20G

Invidia Catted DP stock exhaust afetr that

STI Cams

PW intercooler

RX Charge Pipe with turbosmart Kompact BPV

Grimmspeed EBCS

725cc injectors with DW200 Fuel Pump

91 OCT

Bren Tuning e tune

This is a 3RD pull to redline from about 2500.

vdynopic.jpg.0f1198dc33fce5aaa1c2da4e68227a1b.jpg

Edited by BBPeik

What are you using for Cdrag, the '09 value? I'm sure ride height factors into that value a little (shouldn't affect frontal area aside from exposed tire, although that's not what that site shows for the '09 Legacy vs. Outback), but that's probably another thing we can hold constant for comparison's sake.

Also, might be worth including fuel type on there, so those of us who are stuck with 91 can see what we're missing.

Not quite as impressive as yours, BBPeik, haha. I included my weight with the car. Not entirely sure of the accuracy. I haven't had it on a real dyno yet. More interested in the improvements over stock which the road dyno has shown.

http://i.imgur.com/OoJcWS1.jpg

Edited by Timothy.B

MAF g/s * 1.25 on a well tuned engine is a good estimate of crank BHP. Thats probably what the Ap does anyway, just guessing.

That doesn't count the oxygen in oxygenated fuels, which is quite significant and can produce more power than non-oxygenated fuels as long as you have the injector duty cycle to spare. Maybe the Ap figures that out and factors it in- dunno. Might be worth comparing the AP HP number to the MAF g/s * 1.25 number.

In my humble opinion, MAF g/s * 1.25 is going to be a better/simpler comparison than acceleration-based estimates since there are so many variables in acceleration-based estimates (tires, aero, head/tail wind, weight estimate accuracy, shifting style, clutch slip, etc...)

But since all dynos read differently, Virtual Dyno might be a little more consistent for the sake of comparison between cars...

I would think there are just as many independent variables in the virtual dyno (weather, altitude, user, road/elevation, etc.) as there are with an actual dyno.

^^^That is more than likely true. I just figured it was an easy way we could all compare our numbers.

As far as what we need to log, just normal tuning parameters. Af learning, AF correction, AFR, Boost, Calculated Load, Dyn adv mult, dyn adv, FKC, FKL, Timing, Inj duty cyc, Maf G/S and MAF %(volt), RPM, Throttle pos, WDC.

I am sure it does not use all that, but hell if I know how it works. I just use a regular datalog and go from there.

This was with myself and about 100 lbs of stuff in the car, plus my roof rack crossbars on, I might redo it just to see on my latest map revision.

'11 LGT

Stage 1 Tune by Torqued Performance

Perrin TMIC coupler

AEM Filter

GFB Mach2 BPV

91 Octane

263hp/285tq at about 5300' elevation, target boost was 17psi.

11LGT-VirtualDyno-3rd.thumb.jpg.3309a60d6a4fdaf337147b3f157d78f0.jpg

Edited by Unsp0kn

This was with myself and about 100 lbs of stuff in the car, plus my roof rack crossbars on, I might redo it just to see on my latest map revision.

'11 LGT

Stage 1 Tune by Torqued Performance

Perrin TMIC coupler

AEM Filter

GFB Mach2 BPV

91 Octane

263hp/285tq at about 5300' elevation, target boost was 17psi.

nice #s! My dynotune from Cobb had me at 266whp/327wtq stage 1 93OCT at 17psi.

only engine mods at the time was AEM Filter and Perring TMIC coupler. basically at sea level with ambient temps around 98F

BBPeik, it looks like you are running pretty lean. Turbo car under WOT should be about 12-13 A/F ratio. Seems like your closer to 18-20 under WOT. Be careful.

It would already be burned down if that were the case. It's showing boost.

nice #s! My dynotune from Cobb had me at 266whp/327wtq stage 1 93OCT at 17psi.

only engine mods at the time was AEM Filter and Perring TMIC coupler. basically at sea level with ambient temps around 98F

It's interesting to see the differences elevation and fuel can make. I wish we still had 93 available up here, but honestly the car is sporty enough for me right now. The numbers don't mean much to me right now, wasn't expecting anything huge and it can vary so much depending on the dyno calculations. All I care about is that it feels quick haha

It's interesting to see the differences elevation and fuel can make. I wish we still had 93 available up here, but honestly the car is sporty enough for me right now. The numbers don't mean much to me right now, wasn't expecting anything huge and it can vary so much depending on the dyno calculations. All I care about is that it feels quick haha

Yea same here lol. My smiles per gallon definitely increased after getting tuned vs the base stock tune.

Here is my last log from etuning (right side), I will try to get a fresh one today, but I downloaded Virtual Dyno and wanted to try it out.

Edit-just went out to do another pull, and I made some tweaks to the car profile to make it closer to reality, our COD is .32 and curb weight is 3477 I don't know that it made much difference, but thought accuracy should be as close as possible. Truthfully the 2015 wrx is probably a pretty close profile, but the custom option is nice. I also noticed my power really starts coming on later. Gonna go for a pull to redline this evening if possible to see what I get.

VDlegacy.thumb.jpg.97acf7895028fc4b4008e21c15abd98c.jpg

legacyfinalrevision.thumb.jpg.b209b85360fe0f9a1e104836a4c49ddc.jpg

Edited by FLlegacy

I would think there are just as many independent variables in the virtual dyno (weather, altitude, user, road/elevation, etc.) as there are with an actual dyno.

Right to some extent. I was thinking more along the lines of the differences between different dyno manufacturers. I mean, if you had some magical shop that had a Mustang Dyno, a Dynapack, and a Dynojet lined up next to each other. Ran the same car on all three dynos under the same conditions, you'd still end up with 3 different results. And that's with no corrections. Then once you spread those three dynos out to three different shops with three different operating procedures/corrections/etc, you end up with results that are skewed all over the place.

No system is going to be perfect, but the Virtual Dyno idea sounds a least a smidge more consistent than using a cornucopia of different dynos.