LegacyGT.com

OEM Nav Hack - Performance Gauges, Movies, and More

Squiden

Yep, this is another OEM Nav hack. I've seen people do similar solutions, but I think this is the first that shows how to do more than just movies. Mainly, I wanted to display digital performance gauges on the Nav screen. The stock Subaru digital gauges... suck - I don't care about my throttle position or MPG when I'm at the track. But, I like a nice, clean look inside my car, so I didn't want the classic gauges stuck all over the place.

Pieces used:

- iPod Touch (Free - it was my old one before I got an iPhone)

- iPod AV Composite cable (~$44 - can get a generic one for cheaper)

- Composite extension cable (only need video, but my cable included all 3 - Free... I have 6 of these from other electronics purchases)

- iPod USB car charger (sold by Belkin - ~$20)

- Composite to Aux cable (Free... had one laying around)

- Composite pass-thru connectors (Need 3, $2 each)

- OBD-II PLX Kiwi WiFi plug (~$150)

- TVOut2 Mirror (requires jailbreaking the iTouch and loading Cydia - Free)

- DashCommand or Rev ($29 or $39)

Not much of an explanation on how to do this, but here are the basic steps:

1 - Pull Nav system out (pop out bezel, remove 2 screws).

2 - Cut bluish-grey wire in large harness and ground to screw (this unlocks the screen with the e-brake disengaged).

3 - Run Composite exention from back of Nav down to passenger side of car (I had to use a snake - it's pretty packed back there).

4 - Hook all the cables together.

5 - Snake the iPod adapter, USB connector, and Aux connector to center storage box. (Working on a better solution than just routing cables through the top... but I'm having issues getting into the box from the bottom side).

6 - Plug the USB power adapter and Aux connectors into plugs in the storage box.

7 - Hide rest of cabling under passenger seat.

8 - Jailbreak iTouch, load Cydia, and load TVOut2 Mirror (this allows the iPod display to be seen on the iPod and on the Nav screen at the same time).

Sit back and enjoy all the iPod functionality on the Nav screen.

DISCLAIMER - You're not allowed to blame me for watching TV / Movies, etc, and getting into an accident while driving. ;)

My OBDII adapter has yet to show up yet, so I can't give a final opinion on the full gauge functionality. However, so far I prefer the look and feel of the Rev gauges on the screen over DashCommand... the DashCommand ones are really hard to read on the screen. More to come once I get to test out the OBD connection. I'll also note that the DashCommand application is slow, and very touchy for screen flips with hard driving (if you don't have the iTouch locked down, a little slide is enough to make it transition from landscape to portrait).

Pics of the end result:

Standard iPod screen:

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/squiden/DSC02811.jpg

Movies / Music Videos (yes, that's Weird Al's White & Nerdy... I figured it fit for the mod being performed):

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/squiden/DSC02812.jpg

A couple pics of DashCommand gauges:

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/squiden/DSC02813.jpg

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/squiden/DSC02814.jpg

And finally, one from Rev:

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/squiden/DSC02815.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any updates?

Have you seen anyone doing this with an iPad? I have an iPad and thinking of this mod. Just not sure yet how to execute it best.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

The PLX OBD reader works great with "Rev"! I've had zero issues with dropouts when using Rev, and the update rates are very respectable (i.e. - very little lag in the updates).

DashCommand 2.0 is bothersome - while there are some nice skins, the update rate is noticably slower, and it usually drops the connection every ~15 minutes. And since it's a pain to restart the program while driving, I usually stick with Rev. DashCommand has access to more engine parameters (a lot more derived channels, like selected gear, HP, TQ, etc), but the lag makes them less useful. For all programs, I use the tachometer as a judge, comparing the one in the dash versus what's displayed from the program. Rev has only a 1-2 second lag, versus DashCommand having 2-3 seconds of lag. And FuzzyLuke (which I only used as a test initially) has 2-4 seconds of lag.

For Rev, I have the following guages displayed:

Center - target boost

Corners: Intake temp, coolant temp, timing advance, and manifold pressure.

I've played around with some of the other values, but the above set gives me most of the information I desire.

Also, the red color scheme in Rev is almost a perfect match for the car guages - it's a win/win all the way around. :)

One thing to note - on my first-gen iTouch that I'm using in the car, the processing for Rev heats the iTouch up a LOT. Thing is almost too hot to hold at the end of a hour drive! It sucks enough juice that it draws more power from the iTouch than it can charge while in motion. I've been meaning to do the same test with my iPhone to see if it has the same problem, but haven't gotten around to that test yet.

As for the iPad, I'm guessing this is completely possible if you can unlock the video output (same thing I did on the iTouch and iPhone). Certainly the movies should work without any effort (would be a good test).

That's good feedback on Rev.

I'm also considering my options for reading additional gauges. To actually go down this road I'd first like to know that I can get oil temp and EGT.

I'm also not going to persue vid out on the iPad but to mount it. The screen is just so much better.

Thanks for the update!!

Mounting an iPad also requires easily removing it as there is no way I'm leaving it in plain sight.

The video I posted in the my other thread shows a guy using black string through his top most vent and it actually looked reasonable (car in the vid was an LGT). That is until someone asks what the string hanging there is for. ;)

I'll take my chances though because while you have it in the car it looks great and it's easily removed. I'll probably go this route until something else comes out.

• 1 month later...

I had emailed PPE a few weeks ago, asking them to add my name to the list of people requesting an iPad version of DashCommand.

I got the below email today:

Hello,

The newest release of DashCommand works great on te iPad with great

resolution on the gauges. It is now available at the Apps store. Please

let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Holly

PPE Sales

Now I've got to go buy the reader for it. Any suggestions to help with deciding if Bluetooth or WifFi is better?

• 3 weeks later...

Totally forgot about the Rev app until seeing this thread. Looked it up and Fry's had the Kiwi WiFi in store so I went and picked it up.

Running on iPhone 4, jailbroken and using TVout2 to display on the nav much like the OP. So cool!

Glad to hear it's working for you!

Since you are the first to do this with an iPhone 4 (or that has at least posted about it), does version 4 happen to output at full resolution for all apps, instead of only partially filling the screen, like in my pictures above? That is the last annoyance that I would like to fix on mine....

Squid

I decided against the iPad and went HKS Camp II. I wanted the more oem look.

PLX with all the goodies and a couple extra sensors worked out to be around the same $

I still will keep the iPad mount for road trips.

Glad to hear it's working for you!

Since you are the first to do this with an iPhone 4 (or that has at least posted about it), does version 4 happen to output at full resolution for all apps, instead of only partially filling the screen, like in my pictures above? That is the last annoyance that I would like to fix on mine....

Squid

Dug out an old ipod touch last night and am using that now. Keep it in the center console out of site.

It's full screen for both the iPod and the iPhone. You can adjust the width and height of the output in the "TVOutTuner" app.

Is the fuel pressure monitor not enabled for you as well? Rev is missing a few things I'l like to see but overall it's pretty much perfect for what I wanted.

rev-app.thumb.jpg.81a9fa579d049a48f2c75c4a2174fdb5.jpg

tvouttuner.png.f9cbdc164816d2e8f09ffed19f2a9693.png

• 4 months later...
Sorry for digging this one out of the graveyard, but I'd like to know how you can navigate through the ipod with the nav screen if you've got the ipod stuck in the dash. If you're navigating the music, can you swipe the screen up or down? How is the overall feel and responsiveness of the nav screen against the ipod screen?

^ Yep, you still control everything through the iPhone/iTouch. Both Rev and DashCommand saves your screen setup though, so I have Rev set to the home key and can bring it up with just one to two clicks. I've learned NOT to leave the iTouch running Rev when I'm not in the car - it'll drain the iTouch battery quickly. :) I've been planning to mod the 12V outlet to always have power even when the car is off, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

^ Yep, you still control everything through the iPhone/iTouch. Both Rev and DashCommand saves your screen setup though, so I have Rev set to the home key and can bring it up with just one to two clicks. I've learned NOT to leave the iTouch running Rev when I'm not in the car - it'll drain the iTouch battery quickly. :) I've been planning to mod the 12V outlet to always have power even when the car is off, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

Do you keep your kiwi wifi turned on? Any trouble with it draining the battery after sitting, say overnight or through the workday?

I have an old iPod touch i keep in the center console. It's jailbroken, and setup so that as soon as it gets power from the cig lighter, the screen unlocks and launches the rev app. Sometimes the battery in the iPod dies from sitting too long, but once the car is started it takes maybe a minute for it to get enough of a charge to boot back up and launch the rev app automatically.

No issues with the kiwi draining the battery - I've left it sit for a week at the airport with no issues.

What app are you using to unlock and launch Rev as soon as it has power? That sounds perfect! I bet someone has made a way to kill a program when power is lost as well - seems like that would solve the drained battery problem. Might have to do some searching over the weekend.

The app is called Plugged In ($1.99). http://modmyi.com/cydia/com.malcolmhall.pluggedin

I was just looking in the settings this afternoon and found that there is an option to lock the screen as soon as power is lost.

The app to auto-unlock the screen is called NoLockScreen (free). http://modmyi.com/cydia/package.php?id=31271

I think the Plugged In app will automatically unlock the screen and launch the app when it has power so NoLockScreen might not be entirely necessary. NoLockScreen will automatically unlock the screen as soon as you press the lock button though if you don't have power to the iDevice though.

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
Dug out an old ipod touch last night and am using that now. Keep it in the center console out of site.

It's full screen for both the iPod and the iPhone. You can adjust the width and height of the output in the "TVOutTuner" app.

Is the fuel pressure monitor not enabled for you as well? Rev is missing a few things I'l like to see but overall it's pretty much perfect for what I wanted.

Zombie...

Is the iPod or iPad charging while connected to this set up?

Archived