LegacyGT.com

Brake Install Problems

alphakiller

So i got some new DBA rotors and hawk brake pads to replace my current wornout brakes. Well during the process 1 of the caliper bracket bolts were both stuck, one of them i worked out but the bolt is pretty dicked, the other i sheared the head off.

So i called 3 dealerships and talked to the parts department and now one them seemed to be sure they were ordering me the correct part. So does anyone know the part # or where i can order this? Also that caliper bracket got the bolt drilled out breaking 2 easy outs off in it. The threads are intact but need to be re tapped. If this bracket can be obtained cheaply enough it would be easier than buying a tap set and screwing it up. So if anyone knows that part # for just the bracket that would help also or any advice. Alli can find on the oem parts websites are the whole caliper brake setup.

BTW the caliper is the passenger front one.

Thanks for everyones help in advance.

Same thing happened to me...FredBeans was the only place that I found that sells the bracket. The part highlighted above is what you need....don't forget new slide pins as well.

Thanks kram! Hope that bracket worked out for you. :)

PM sent to alphakiller.

Wellllll....I still haven't ordered it. :redface: I'm gonna check the other three wheels before I do.

I'm not looking forward to messing with that bracket. :mad:

Let us know if you want us to mess with the bracket :) We aren't terribly far from you.

-mike

Actually, I was thinking about having you guys do it when I come up for the Koni/MSI/AVO bracket install ;)

• 11 months later...

I was planning to replace my rotors and pads on my 2006 Legacy, and on the first brake, the 17mm bolt holding the caliper support sheared off. (I had already removed the caliper and pads).

I don't think I can repair it, and need to get it towed to a repair shop.

My questions:

Any suggestions as to whether I get the brake repair and replacement done by a local repair shop, or by a Subaru dealer shop? I live in a suburb of Syracuse NY.

Since I have purchased aftermarket rotors and pads (Centric), will a Subaru shop install them?

Since I'll need the bracket and new caliper assembly, should I also have them install a matching new one for the other front wheel? If so, any suggestions on manufacturer/model?

thanks much!

Dave

Why not buy a new caliper bracket and bolt? Then no need to tow it or anything.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Why not buy a new caliper bracket and bolt? Then no need to tow it or anything.

-mike

Hi Mike -

Thanks!

so... do you know where I can get/order a new caliper bracket and 17 mm bolts for a 2006 legacy wagon 2.5i special edition? And: then how hard is it to replace the bracket? I am concerned I am getting in over my head!

This would be for the driver side front...

My concern: the car is at 92K, and this is the first time I've tried doing the brakes. What if other brake brackets have similar problems?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks,

Dave

Hi Mike,

The lightbulb just went on.

I was able to take the front rotor off, and the caliper support came off with it. I am soaking the part that has the sheared off 17 mm bolt in Liquid wrench to see if I can get it out. If it does, great - all I need is a 17 mm bolt. If not, then I'll get the new caliper bracket and bolt, as you suggested.

Thanks!

Dave

Yup that's the idea! Sorry I wasn't more clear on it. No need to wast a ton of money when you don't have to.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

I just got new bolts from my Subaru dealer before installing brakes. Both front bolts on each side were replaced, but they only had 2 rear bolts in stock.

Can't copy and paste on my phone, but here's a screenshot of the invoice showing the bolt part numbers. I dis also get a front hub assembly and nut so ignore that. Just the second two items. You will need 4 of each.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/43fd9b9a-9219-5d47.jpg

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Howdy -

Thank you for the part number. I was able to order a new driver side bracket and bolts for the front from the local Subaru dealer. Installed the bracket, the new rotor, and the new pads - and everything was great.

I then used a borrowed impact hammer to undo the bracket bolts on the passenger side front brake (the impact hammer was a life saver), and was able to get that off, and install the new rotor and pads in the existing bracket and caliper. That was a much tighter fit. I then test drove them (The brake pads were pre-scorched), and they worked just fine. [although, i do have a low noise coming from somewhere in the set up during driving...]

One comment: The passenger side brake rotor gets hotter than the driver side rotor after driving for ~ 20 minutes (the blister on my finger told me so). Is this common for new brakes to get so hot to the touch?

Thanks,

Dave

I just installed the same setup and my bolt sheared off while tightening. There has to be some flaw with this since i didn't even torque the bolt that hard.

I had a hard time removing bolts/rotor but Blaster PB16 works like a charm:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Blaster-16-PB-Penetrating-Catalyst-oz/dp/B000I2079E]Amazon.com: Blaster 16-PB Penetrating Catalyst - 11 oz.: Automotive[/ame]

Just had to let it soak in for a bit.

Luckily i had the same bolt (thread pattern and #10) from another brake job.

Did you bed your brakes in prior to normal driving?

Howdy -

Thank you for the part number. I was able to order a new driver side bracket and bolts for the front from the local Subaru dealer. Installed the bracket, the new rotor, and the new pads - and everything was great.

I then used a borrowed impact hammer to undo the bracket bolts on the passenger side front brake (the impact hammer was a life saver), and was able to get that off, and install the new rotor and pads in the existing bracket and caliper. That was a much tighter fit. I then test drove them (The brake pads were pre-scorched), and they worked just fine. [although, i do have a low noise coming from somewhere in the set up during driving...]

One comment: The passenger side brake rotor gets hotter than the driver side rotor after driving for ~ 20 minutes (the blister on my finger told me so). Is this common for new brakes to get so hot to the touch?

Thanks,

Dave

If one side is significantly hotter than the other it's most likely a sticking or seized caliper. This added heat may have led to the bolt being seize it place as well.

-mike

Archived