LegacyGT.com

Which is more fun around town... turbo or N/A? 2005-2009

SilentPwr

First of all, PLEASE do not turn this thread into a GT vs. 2.5i flame war... I like each model for their specific attributes. I just want to get opinions from people who have spent a lot of time in each, and why they think one would be better than another for MY situation.

I'm looking to get a Legacy, manual only, but am torn about whether I want to get a GT or 2.5i. I do mostly city driving, and the roads are fairly twisty where I live. Some highway driving, but not much. I've test driven a couple 2.5i and GT models, and it seems the GT's are almost too "smooth" of an overall driving experience. I know the suspension is the same, but it just seemed that the engine was more quiet, and it just seemed to lose that "scrappy" character of the 2.5i. Anyone else agree? Of course the turbo has more power and is more fun in that department, no question about that.

So, I guess my real question is does the GT still have that "scrappy" Subie character to it, or do you feel it's too refined? I've owned several 86-91 RX-7's over the years, including two turbo versions. While I loved the turbo versions for their power, the one that stands out as the most fun to me was the 88 base model I had... very light and nimble. Thanks for you thoughts!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get the GT....you can change that "scrappy" character with a few simple mods....

Better power and better suspension on the GT. I guarantee you will regret the 2.5i after a few months when you're used to is and are wanting more.

I cant think of one thing the 2.5i has that would make it more fun than the GT. Unless you have fun going slower.

the cars weight pretty much the same, the 2.5i has no power, softer suspension, worse brakes, no cool hoodscoop, no rear LSD, and did i metion no power?

only reason to get a 2.5i is affordability. Now im sure that alot of 2.5i guys wil chime in telling you that their 2.5i is fun and blah blah blah. the majority of these people are the same ones asking about turbo/power upgrades, which means that if they could have, they would have gotten the GT instead.

And as far as the 2.5i feeling scrappy, id rather be smoth and fast then "scrappy" and slow.

Just get what feels right to you.

i think white tiger hit it on the head...

i have a 2.5i and yes its fun but i would much rather be in a GT and if i could have afforded one i would have been in one. So i would say go GT youll be happier. I do mostly city driving and dont get great MPG prob the same as I would get with a GT.

I cant think of one thing the 2.5i has that would make it more fun than the GT. Unless you have fun going slower.

And as far as the 2.5i feeling scrappy, id rather be smoth and fast then "scrappy" and slow.

Just get what feels right to you.

I think the op meant "crappy" not scrappy :lol:

But seriously, there is one reason the 2.5i can be more fun than the GT. You can't comfortably afford the GT. Other than that IMO this is a pointless thread. 3.0/3.6r vs 2.5gt sure but I think OP needs a ride in a stage 1 GT. He would be sold if money is no object. I AM NOT FLAMING.

I would have a lot more fun in the 2.5i if $100/mo made the difference (ins included).

I find the stock GT to be underpowered honestly.

If speed isn't your thing, then just get a 2.5i. It's no doubt going to be quieter and better on gas mileage. Other than the engines, I can't think of anything major that's different between the two.

Staying on topic here, the 2.5i is very enjoyable in the city if you have the 5MT. If you are good at matching gears and downshifting, the quick acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear will definitely gives you something to smile about. The MT seems to make everything much more enjoyable. However, I do enjoy cruising. Going fast is fun and all, but if I could cruise around at 30mph all day, I'd be happy.

Guest LGT-NY
will definitely gives you something to smile about.

Definitely. :lol:

Damn Southern Folk, with their leisurely driving. :lol:

Staying on topic here, the 2.5i is very enjoyable in the city if you have the 5MT. If you are good at matching gears and downshifting, the quick acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear will definitely gives you something to smile about. The MT seems to make everything much more enjoyable. However, I do enjoy cruising. Going fast is fun and all, but if I could cruise around at 30mph all day, I'd be happy.

If you are in a Daewoo with a MT 1st and 2nd gear can be playful.

If I launched at 4000rpm and ran to the top of 2nd gear you would never think a 2.5i was entertaining beyond 1st. When I shift into second it is like the entire seat punches you in the back and the car chirps.

A MT makes the 2.5i; TOLERABLE. Do I need to point out that my AT Dodge Durango would pull away from a 2.5i without issue or drama?

The LGT at stage zero is barely faster than my Durango. I honestly never, ever entertained the idea of purchasing a non turbo. (The R did not exist at the end of 04).

I'm flaming, this thread is stupid. :lol:

GT or nothing.

Agreed. This thread is such a forgone conclusion and is so out of touch with reality I am going to have to unsub.

If I launched at 4000rpm and ran to the top of 2nd gear you would never think a 2.5i was entertaining beyond 1st. When I shift into second it is like the entire seat punches you in the back and the car chirps.

God you're impressive :wub:

God you're impressive :wub:

THATS WHAT ALL THE GIRLS SAY!!!

But seriously, it is not me that is impressive it is my WICKED FAST INFAMOUS1 TUNE (that a N/a can't get :p)

Staying on topic here, the 2.5i is very enjoyable in the city if you have the 5MT.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5i-dangerously-slowi-122738.html?t=122738

Did you not read the ^ thread. Apparently not only are 2.5i seriously NOT enjoyable in the city they are even DANGEROUSLY SLOW.:lol:

Archived