LegacyGT.com

At what point did your car stop being a "sleeper"

Same as topic.

basically when the performance draastically outweighs the looks of the car. your opinion about your car.

This is assuming, it's a sleeper from the factory. It looks very close to the last gen camry and is pretty quick from the factory.

IMO:

still sleeper:

stage 1->2, wheels and tires, KW variant2s

very edge of sleeperness:

RBS grill, lip

no longer sleeper:

brembo fronts.

IMO once you see those huge calipers they know this guy means business.

Just wondering how u guys view your own cars.

the ultimate sleeper imo was harman jon's old silver lgt.

car for sale. PM me!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drive a Champagne Gold Opal Outback. It does not matter that I have quad exhaust, upgraded front brakes and SSR wheels. I bet 99.9% of the people out there just see me as another mommy mobile. I would say I am still "sleeper status".

Now I will admit if you look close and see these things, you might think something is going on.

I think you are a sleeper if people do not think you are fast.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I drive a Champagne Gold Opal Outback. It does not matter that I have quad exhaust, upgraded front brakes and SSR wheels. I bet 99.9% of the people out there just see me as another mommy mobile. I would say I am still "sleeper status".

Now I will admit if you look close and see these things, you might think something is going on.

I think you are a sleeper if people do not think you are fast.

based on your picture i wholeheartedly agree with you.

another definition also you're a sleeper even if you're going 5mph faster than everyone else in the pack and the cop pulls someone else over.

car for sale. PM me!

i bough the gt thinking it would be a sleeper.

i was dead wrong. since day 1 people want to show off how much slower and stupid they are.

i had 3 different cars the other day going from the on ramp to the car pool lane. all 3 came up or was coming up from behind and was trying to block and or pass me. when i need to merge and someone is f**king around and is next to me doing stupid s**t i acclereate briskly.

in another incident in the same day (not the day of the merge problems) i was cut off by 2 different foresters. both from the far right lane trying to immediately get to a left turn lane right at the point of the turn. literally making me stop so they can skim across my front bumper.

another time i was passed then cut right in front of by some older model legacy.

i get problems from our own subaru community as well as regular a55 hole drivers.

based on your picture i wholeheartedly agree with you.

another definition also you're a sleeper even if you're going 5mph faster than everyone else in the pack and the cop pulls someone else over.

aint that the damn truth.

I was doing 80 to pass a jack ass (he was speeding up and slowing down accordingly with gaps in traffic) and i looked up to see a cop gunning in my direction and he waved over some other car.

just today a passat 2.0 was doing 30-35 in a 45 so i got on it to pass and hit 55-60 then got over and slowed to 50 and a cop didn't even look at me as he was gunning down where i just came from.

btw...this a55 hole passat cut its blinker on and actually swerved at me as i passed. but they never got over. not even i was well in front of them and no one else was "in the way".

compared to my accord the LGT is sleeper status

<---The Accord had CF hood and front lip, apex i exaust, smoked tails and 19" rims all dropped on some tein ss.

i was revved on all the time.

LGT has 18" rims dropped on Flex, hks exaust.

im de-badged so know one knows wtf i am driving or they think its some new STI. lol yes ive had that a few times.

i guess its priceless when a guy in his Boxster S looks over and you are pulling on him with a car that resembles a camry.

im stg 2 now so the sound gives something away but i still dont get revved on.

Mine is still a sleeper, other than fellow Subie owners other peaple just think it's a really nice looking "grocery getter"

Went up with my neighbor last night who has a Perfect 04 Mach1 with 1,900 miles on it. The wagon was fresh off a detail so I parked it beside his & we continued to get comments about how it was funny to see a wagon beside the Mach1.

I was fairly silent BC I really wasnt there for myself. My neighbor went on to tell many of the onlookers that performance wise there was really no comparison between the 2. his quote.....

"That wagon is a screamer"

Most of the onlookers continued to say yea.....right;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

but then why do we get those morons in bust ass cars and slow as snails always trying to race us?

ever had an Excursion trying to race?

yeah...stupid as hell.

I think that you get that exactly because the car is a sleeper. A sleeper is a car that is fast but doesn't look or sound like it. People think it's just a slow family sedan and that they will be able to win a race. If they knew the LGT was a lot faster than their car then they probably wouldn't even try.

A Legacy is no longer a sleeper when you pull up at a stop sign and the car next to you does not accelerate briskly or does some other unnecessary display of horsepower.

I do not know about other parts of the country, but over here in Chicago, the hood scoop is a tell-tale sign of "minding your own business" and not "phucking" with the hood scoop.

Beyond that, the tell-tale signs of performance is a combination of altered exhaust notes, carbon deposits on the exhaust, rims, light or non-existent window tinting, the ethnicity of the driver, the swoosh of the BOV, the FMIC and all other small tweaks that a trained eye spots on a car that otherwise looks spotless and innocent (ex. gaping hole instead of the lower fog light on a car that looks fresh off the dealership showroom). And of course, it depends on the car - shit like rimzzz and exhaust on an Impala is just shit. Rimzzz and a catless rumble on an VW Golf R32 (debadged, no less) is business.

On my way home there is a light with two turn lanes, and it stays two lanes for about an 8th mile, then goes to one. Anyways, every day I pull up in the left (main) turning lane, and someone, usually a pickup pulls up besides me and inches up to the line. I assume they see the wagon and assume I'll be going slow, so they take off with a furry soon as the light turns. I typically take off slow around the corner and let them think they will get ahead of me & merge in, but then I quickly acclerate up to 60 and leave them way behind.

A few times people have really tried, they're willing to greatly exceed the limit to make it by. But it's quite fun, and a rather foolish enjoyment.

My plates fit well imo, DCEPTV. Having a sleeper is great.

when I became the driver..

/thread :lol:

Seriously though, my car is going to remain stock-looking all the way through Stage 2. No custom grille, no custom wheels, etc.

A "sleeper" in my eyes is when the power, handling, suspension transcend what the car comes as stock. Meaning, if I went out and test drove someone's '05 non-limited 5EAT w/ no mods, I would probably punch myself in the nuts.

Suspension, brake upgrades, power mods, intake/drop in that is under the same skin.... definitely becomes...

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/163500/163545ubDA_w.jpg

I'm hoping to retain my sleeper status after my turbo upgrade. I've got a perrin catback on the car now, so it barks just a bit. However, everything else externally looks very stock. No aftermarket wheels, no big brakes. The FMIC install will take some work to retain some stealth, but I'm thinking it'll be doable.

I think that you get that exactly because the car is a sleeper. A sleeper is a car that is fast but doesn't look or sound like it. People think it's just a slow family sedan and that they will be able to win a race. If they knew the LGT was a lot faster than their car then they probably wouldn't even try.

that would make sense.

on the other side of things I have had a mini and a tt try "racing" me before.

the tt was doing the ol...i'll speed up as you do so i can stay ahead. so i railed it and so did he, but it was like he put it in park. he stopped after that. his a4 brethren held back too after witnessing this.

one time i was behind a rustang gt (new one) and he didn't rail the gas and i had to do a roll and he was pulling obviously (i have a 5 eat and he didnt pull as bad as i thought he would. i would have loved to have given it a full go to see what happens.)) he even squeeled going into 2nd and my gf was asking what that noise was...haha...anyways...after a right turn i was heading down a straight and i noticed a big ass white somewhat lifted pickup playing "catch-up" so i left him behind.

i mean really...did he really think he had a chance?

another time an obviously busted ass old gti was modded. i didn't even brake torque at a line and didn't know he was there. but he did a clutch drop and as i was going i was telling my girl to look at that fool trying and you can see him shifting hard as hell giving it everything he's got...it was hilarious. i didn't even have it floored just enough gas to stay .5 car link ahead.

another time...some kid with his gf in his moms honda minivan gave it a go.

i personally think some people know but they try to fool around anyways. sometimes i think that maybe in their minds the gt is a nice car and they dont like their busted ass car.

a week or 2 ago some moron in a chevy suv cut me off for no reason so i cut him back off and went slow and has he changed lanes back to his original i gave it some gas and obviously left him. he then starts motioning to pull over and i just gave him th efinger he motions for other stuff. funny thing is nex when he is over int he right lane he sticks his 45 y.o head out the window and says "what are you 2"...wtf?? he cut me off for no reason and even got in my lane just for him to get right back over where he needed to be. he is much older than i. he had a s**tty cheap chevy suv blazder, and I am the one acting 2 when i was minding my own business not tailgating anyone just rolling along in I mode?

i will tell you though...i have lots and lots of similar stories. 95% of them have 1 thing in common. pos buckets and people in their 40's. guys mostly. almost always an older guy.

waay off now...but i was putting along in the 3rd lane on I5 once and i saw a suv (toyota/lexus 470 whatever) tailgating an m3. the suv then droped over to the carpool lane then cut off the m3 for no damn reason at all. NONE!

Archived