LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

Macho? Oh, man. You made me really smile! Thanks.

Frankly I'd take a minivan over this for people mover. Like Pacifica, looks ton better.

Truth to be said, judgement should be reserved until it is seen in person, but honestly what crossover out there looks remotely good? All are like from ehhh to puke. IMO maybe Macan or the newer Cayenne look ok, but everything else is bloated and ungainly. I guess the nature of pumped bloated car-based contraptions. Not that most of truck based SUVs fare better (not many left in the market anyway).

You're so right I want a sleek SUV so that it has less room than a sedan. No point in wanting an SUV that has any kind of room in it. :spin:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s really funny. Was just about to speak on the similiarities of the grille of the Pacifica vs the Tribeca G2.

All and all being said I was very pleased with the styling of the Ascent. If our family didn’t already have our third row SUV I would absolutely consider it. It looks like my Outback, just a touch larger.

While I have thought about making the argument for her to trade in her Honda pilot for the new Ascent when it comes out, I don’t think I’m ready for that argument. I barely drive the thing and she seems happy with it. We don’t need two three row SUV’s so it is a non issue for me.

The only reason I might consider the ascent is it for some reason they discontinue the six-cylinder engine before I can buy a new outback or a legacy, and then they forced me into direct injection either way. I would prefer to avoid direct injection until we know more about it, especially long-term maintenance. I don’t want to have to walnut shell blast my engine every 30,000 miles. But, I can’t buy what is not available, and if the only engines available in the 2019 model is direct injection for both the four-cylinder and potential the turbo 4, there you go ...

Edited by Pilot1226

So maybe this is pointing to the possibility that the base model does not have a trans cooler? If that was the case, dang 3000 lbs towing reduction! Even lower than the outback...

If I read correctly the difference is in the trailer sway control system, but I imagine it is also the towing package with the bigger cooler. I can't see much else being different. Maybe the brakes, but I doubt it. The hitch, harness, cooler, and ECU logic is probably the difference.

now that subaru makes a vehicle capable of taking real "loads" on the hitch from typical amuricans.

dealers selling aftermarket accessories can stock up on bumper dumpers.

BumperDumper-2__74252.1481760130.500.500.jpg?c=2

Saw that on Fb this morning.... :) I'm sure there's a smaller "version" for the 1.25" receiver. :lol:

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Saw that on Fb this morning.... :) I'm sure there's a smaller "version" for the 1.25" receiver. :lol:

many amuricans would need to put their existing subarus on blocks or trailer jacks, to use one though with the 200lb tongue weight.

you-all over here don't even have a dedicated sub-section on towing. ?

... many subarus being a good tow platform with the AWD,.

..however one needs to work around their limitations. (from 1968-now).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/130-towing/

Edited by eagleeye

Quick!... whoever lined up for an Ascent, cancel your pre-orders, deposits, trade-ins and step across to the 2019 Forester XT. It's the hatch the aging LGT and STI crowd has been waiting for, lmao

Same FA24DIT (oohhh aaahhh), lower curb weight (aka better power to weight ratio), same 'much bettha' gen3 HT-CVT or a day-1 STI 6MT swap (for those who like to row their own), obligatory CoBB OTS Stage 1 tune - and you're ready to walk STIs and smoke WRX. All while still sporting multiple child seats, ski racks, trailer hitches galore!

On second thought, no 3rd row 7 seater, forget it. Doesnt make the cut.

Quick!... whoever lined up for an Ascent, cancel your pre-orders, deposits, trade-ins and step across to the 2019 Forester XT. It's the hatch the aging LGT and STI crowd has been waiting for, lmao

Same FA24DIT (oohhh aaahhh), lower curb weight (aka better power to weight ratio), same 'much bettha' gen3 HT-CVT or a day-1 STI 6MT swap (for those who like to row their own), obligatory CoBB OTS Stage 1 tune - and you're ready to walk STIs and smoke WRX. All while still sporting multiple child seats, ski racks, trailer hitches galore!

On second thought, no 3rd row 7 seater, forget it. Doesnt make the cut.

did they say they were going to offer that engine this year?

if so, got a link?

new model 2019 is at the NY autoshow in 2 weeks.

(I have not read of them leaking that it has a FA24T in it yet,...or just the plain jane FB25B on the global platform ).

and all I see today are stupid crap pics of the tail light.

Edited by eagleeye

That tailight pic was farmed from Japanese sites first reporting it about a day or two before this side of the pond woke up.

I'm merely speculating in true troll fashion!

But in this case its very likely.

Vanilla and HT CVTs paired with FAs and FBs in all models across the lineup will be the only game in town (at least as soon as they kill of the EJ and EZ late next year).

Edited by Perscitus

The Japanese article on the new 2019 Foresters translates to Subaru is dropping the FXT models but they may add them back later. (It also says the 6MT is also goner). The US versions don't always follow the JDM or other market models, but the Forester is made in Japan. The 2018 Forester maybe the last XT version for a while just like the 2012 Legacy GT. We will find out in a couple of weeks, when the SGP Forester is released at the NYIAS.

Will be attending the Atlanta show next Wednesday and RON there, leaving Thursday. If anyone wants to get together in Atlanta on Wednesday LMK.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Will be attending the Atlanta show next Wednesday and RON there, leaving Thursday. If anyone wants to get together in Atlanta on Wednesday LMK.

ideas for pics/ video:

agree with getting another pic of the vin sticker in the drivers door,

how about the under the hood vin plate on the shock tower,

or where ever they put it,..

and if someone can talk the subaru reps into removing the little cover on the rear bumper to show where the hitch or draw bar goes.

Any idea when the actual release date is?

Edit: looks like maybe July 2018

last I read from a dealer sales rep in Oklahoma,

he said they have been letting people order them for the past month.

expecting first deliveries on those orders in late June. (that rep was getting one on order to replace a Forester).

...and such seems to be the way to get interior / exterior and packages the way you want them

vs. taking whatever the dealers have to offer in these initial months,

(and paying top dollar either way).

so the first ones you see on the street with plates or dealer plates on them might be around June 21.

Too small for those looking at an Ascent.....
Just as ugly though... if not uglier. What happened to our quirky brand with few creature comforts, fewer gadgets and gizmos but plenty of drivetrain and engine spunk?

It's become more vanilla than Toyota/Honda/Nissan, Kia/Hyundai and Chevy/GM combined. I guess so long as it sells them more sheet metal, more power to them. But in the process, Subaru lost its soul. To me thats a loss, no matter what Mr Doll or head office suits in Japan may say or see once the accountants finish cooking the books in late March.