LegacyGT.com

Is it possible to turbo 2003 Legacy 2.5GT sedan?

parado25

It's possible by using a 2.5 NA turbo kit, such as the one produced by AVO for numerous models. It is not cheap, however, and you will be limited to around 230-250hp max unless you do some engine work. I suggest you price out trading in for a new Legacy GT vs. spending $4,000-$6,000 turbocharging your 2.5 first before plunging in. Especially since you have a 03 model that should be retaining quite a bit of it's value. A new GT will have as much or more hp, a warranty, and quite a bunch of nicer bits and pieces vs. the older Legacy models. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.avoturboworld.com[/url]

Yes I understand what you mean about how it will be the same price as buying the 2005 legacy for speed, but I want to modify my 2003 body. I think the 2003 body is a lot more attractive than the 2005. Its the hood scoop on the 2005 that makes it crazy, but the rear of the 2003 is what makes it look better than the 2005.

Yes your body style does look nice when done up, although alot of forum members here will disagree which looks better :) Definatley look into turbo kits for the 2.5 RS Impreza etc. This is one option. How much are you willing to spend? Of course a bigger budget will allow for alot more fun. :)

[quote name='parado25']How much would a turbo kit cost for an impreza 2.5RS? Can a turbo kit for WRX's fit a 2003 Legacy 2.5GT? What would I have to do before getting a turbo installed?[/QUOTE] The AVO kit, which is pretty complete, is roughly $4400 USD. (edit: price quoted was a little low. Though I'm sure we could work something out...;) ) Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.avoturboworld.com[/url]

• 4 weeks later...
Personally I too would look in to trading up to an 05 LGT. Mainly becasue your apt to have a less reliable car buy turboing your 03. I've read pleanty of horror stories about owners blowing there 2.5's after turboing. After all if your looking for power why stop at a safe tune of 220-230hp UP IT, and KABOOM! If you can afford to rebuild the engine, then by all means experiment. If you can't go conservative with the power upgrade, but isn't that defeating the purpose of a power upgrade? Personally the reliability, warrenty, and the fact its my daily driver would make me jump immediatly to an 05.

Having both an '03 Legacy L SE (Wife's) and an '05 Legacy GT, I also feel that there's more benefit to trading up. There's quite a bit of difference between the two cars. I'd be worried about the reliability of putting a turbo kit on an '03. The '03 was designed from front to back to work at 165HP. The '05 was designed with 250HP in mind.

• 3 weeks later...
Joe T is in Toronto and put a turbo on his 2000GT two years ago. He started running 8psi boost and now is up to 12psi with stock internals. He uses it as a daily driver. It is a very fast car. It can get expensive as proper engine management is critical. If you are serious about this I have a B4 hood that matches your car and has an air scoop for the intercooler. Paul H

• 4 weeks later...
I traded in my 2000 GT, and I must add that there is soooo much more up side to the 05 GT,and I am not talking about just the drive train.. just go drive an 05, I bet anyone that may have put a turbo kit on their 00-04, would still hate it every time they got in to drive it after a good test drive in a 05......just get the 2005! 100X's more car than the 2000-2004

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Archived