LegacyGT.com

Summer Detail

Finally had some time to detail the car today. I have been using OCDetails references for the past few years. Thanks OCD.

Wash and Clay

Poorboys SSR2

Poorboys SSR1

Sealant

(all applied with portercable)

IMAG1511.thumb.jpg.83471cb9231ec4b3952fb1b79f13c653.jpg

IMAG1508.thumb.jpg.a2f46627a03d93b5bb1ccad8bba12ad3.jpg

IMAG1504.thumb.jpg.94b4d6910b7eda630595ee8b7db7279c.jpg

Very sharp work! I'll be that thing looks amazing at any angle. :) I love making silver and white look that good. Most people won't give silver a second glance, but when it looks like that it makes people stop and stare.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

That looks good. I did a silver STi not long ago and I was amazed how well the silver shined up. Just the before and after on the door was amazing, but the whole car just popped in the sun.

Before:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/20140503_092005.jpg

After:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/20140503_133153.jpg

The body lines and curves just really stand out on this color when you do them right. That is what stops people in their steps when they see it. Something like this just really stands out in a parking lot or on the road.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/20140503_133332.jpg

OCDETAILS BLOG

Wow, impressive! That STI looks phenomenal. Silver definitely stands out with a little time and effort. I agree, the lines are so prominent on colors like this...there is nowhere to hide with a lighter color.

• 2 weeks later...
These are both great! :D I saw a comment above OCD about making lighter cars stand out. I recently purchased my first white car (non-Subaru and non-metallic) and wanted to know if you had any tips for a very White paint. :lol: It's Volvo's Ice White.
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Looks great, may I recommend that prior to sealing to really bring out the silver, a round of polishing. The ssr1 still leaves some in the table. I like to follow my ssr2 on orange pad, ssr1 on white, the PBW pro polish on white pad, then use Exp sealant. Or you can use a black pad with PBW polish with sealant, and then finish with wax of yor choice for optimal wet slick look

These are both great! :D I saw a comment above OCD about making lighter cars stand out. I recently purchased my first white car (non-Subaru and non-metallic) and wanted to know if you had any tips for a very White paint. :lol: It's Volvo's Ice White.

White is a fun challenge. I just bought a white vehicle as well. It is pearl white, so I'm going to be cheating a little, but it is still going to be a challenge.

The best thing I can tell you on white is to polish the snot out of it. White swirls and hazes just like any other color, but it dosen't show as much. So you need to go balls out when you polish it to make sure it shines like crazy. And if you really want it to shine then I'd go with an acrylic sealant like Klasse. It makes it look like a polished rock. You can still top it with wax to give it a little depth, but I like to make people's eyes hurt when they look at white, so my objective is just to polish everything so well that it hurts.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Nuttin wrong with Wolfgang on white. Go maybe two or three coats and don't top it with anything and you'll get a pretty stunning result. Not to hijack njd's thread or anything, but I figured as long as we are on the topic of making light colors look as good as he did, it might be relevant.

Anyway, on a money angle it is pretty easy to blow people away with white and Wolfgang. It is equally impressive on the sunny side too.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/STi%20and%20EVO/DSCN9695.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/STi%20and%20EVO/DSCN9694.jpg

It is subtle, but if you look closely then you'll see reflections on this car that aren't typically present on white vehicles. That is just a result of polishing the surface really well before applying a sealant which is designed to mess with light and reflections like Wolfgang.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/STi%20and%20EVO/DSCN9686.jpg

OCDETAILS BLOG

Just don't let him get white wheels or else he is going to regret it. Cleaning the inside of those things every wash would be a huge pain in the arse. lol I've got other pictures of that car after he changed the wheels and put some graphics on it that looks way better. I've been getting artsy in my old age and have been using different products on different areas to highlight body lines and curves. I'll have to find those other pictures because they really show off what you can do on a light colored vehicle when you want to. I need more time to finish my car so I can do the same thing. Getting all the orange dots off it from the previous owner and fixing a couple touch up areas has been the main priority this past week, but next weekend will be the artsy day. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for more OT but with OC in here I like the feedback. :D

Tried my hand at the "plain" white last weekend. :lol: Mirror shine and smooth like I've never felt before. Hard to take great cell phone pictures (even with a 5s) but the reflection does it for me. Wolfgang products: wash, clay bar, polish, and paint sealant. Only time for one coat of sealant for now but I will do another before winter.

234819626_XC-70Detail1.thumb.jpg.9c56483692b04156480721445c60c6be.jpg

689846763_XC-70Detail2.thumb.jpg.c248778f047021ccd9340a1bdffcd635.jpg

1073018360_XC-70Detail3.thumb.jpg.d888b5fe135e79151f80a9d91705da43.jpg

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Very nice! I know that all paint pretty much feels the same after it is clayed and polished, but for some reason white always seems to feel smoother. Maybe because none of the minor imperfections that show up on other colors can be seen, so it just looks like you are touching something a little more perfect. Either way, I love feeling a freshly polished white car.

I'll bet that trim is a bitch to keep looking good. Do you mask it off when you polish, or just wipe it down quickly? You should give the Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant a shot. I've never seen anything like it for protecting plastic on the outside of a car. I use it on my wiper cowl and it is amazing how long it keeps it black and clean. It is much better stuff than the 'back to black' type products on the shelf. This isn't a restoration product like those are. It is meant to protect it from getting bad to begin with.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Damn you... I just received my current round of car products from autogeek. :lol: I'll look into the trim sealant for the next order. I hands down LOVE the Wolfgang products. I did go elsewhere for wheel wax and tire gel though after reading reviews.

I used Painters tape the whole way around the car and it worked GREAT. Completely worth the extra 30 mins or so.

You are a wise man. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to avoiding getting polish on trim.

I wish I had another small bottle of the stuff or I'd send it to you. I'll dig around and see what I've got. I'm almost out of the bottle I'm using myself and will have to order more soon. It is the greatest thing to be invented since the Deep Gloss Sealant if you ask me. Anything that can keep trim looking good after an entire winter is worth having. Poorboy's Trim Restorer is a good one too, but not much for protection. That is more for bringing it back to life after you realize you forgot to clean the polish off. They are both great products to keep in your arsenal though.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived