LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad TMIC. No LGT splitter anymore. For the price you can get a very nice FMIC.

Seriously? When did this happen?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Call me late to the dance...:spin:. Fortunately, I have one for mine, but I'm still waiting on PW to develop the mount for it that allows at least a stock or compact BPV/BOV to fit under the hood without having to clearance the hood liner.

Still havent installed my 16G... Been chasing down other various car issues before compounding them with more mods.

Chasing down leaks at this point. I had bad leaks at about 5 different places. My GS 3-port, the GFV BPV, the TB hose and worse of all the drivers side manifold is leaking like a sieve.

Fun.

Call me late to the dance...:spin:. Fortunately, I have one for mine, but I'm still waiting on PW to develop the mount for it that allows at least a stock or compact BPV/BOV to fit under the hood without having to clearance the hood liner.

Seeing how they discontinued the "LGT" tmic, I would not hold my breath for a revision. But you never know.

The optimist in me hopes they pulled the LGT style fitment to rework the kit for better fitment due to BPV clearance issues (needs to sit lower). Seeing as they still do several kits for other platforms I have hope they saw enough sales at a high price to continue for the LGT - but there are definitely no guarantees.

I'm happy with mine, and glad that I got one. With the Forge BPV I've made it fit well. Backordered the STi turbo style fitment hose as well, since the singular US distributor runs out quickly and I want to ensure I have that option before it possibly stops making it over here too given the discontinued status of our TMIC option.

How come the BNR 16g turbos don't make more power? I thought the evo3 16g turbos made a good bit more powder than the numbers I am seeing from them on this car. From past cars the evo 3's seemed to make about the same power as the 18G turbos pretty much. On this car seems like they are barely getting to 300whp.

Is there a reason for that?

I'm looking at getting a new turbo shortly and going through lots of research on which one I will be picking. Might have to go with the 18G.

Also called for a rebuild cost if I sent in a blown turbo but unfortunately they said they don't do rebuilds anymore. Bummer.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

• Moderators
How come the BNR 16g turbos don't make more power? I thought the evo3 16g turbos made a good bit more powder than the numbers I am seeing from them on this car. From past cars the evo 3's seemed to make about the same power as the 18G turbos pretty much. On this car seems like they are barely getting to 300whp.

Is there a reason for that?

I'm looking at getting a new turbo shortly and going through lots of research on which one I will be picking. Might have to go with the 18G.

Also called for a rebuild cost if I sent in a blown turbo but unfortunately they said they don't do rebuilds anymore. Bummer.

I think a lot of people running 16gs don't have full supporting mods (namely pump / injectors). I think with supporting mods most 16g's should be able to hit 300hp assuming you're tuning for that (i.e. not trying for a track tune)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
Ah ok. Makes sense. I've read a bunch people saying they aren't the evo 3 16g turbos though. Is that completely false?

I'm sure that not all 16g turbos are evo 3...

You'd have to talk to the specific turbo maker to find out is my guess.

• Moderators
I'm talking about the BNR. I've read posts on here that's its not really the Evo 3 but I called them and they said it was.

If I recall, he used to offer a couple options as far as the internals--I could be wrong tho...

Some initially were a hybrid EVO 3/16Gs and some were straight 16Gs. EVO3s hit slightly earlier and lasted at least as long as the straight 16s

Bryan can clarify, but fromt the OP, that was my understanding. Of course I could be relying on dead brain cells, which in that case, YMMV. :)

This might help answer your question about the BNR EVO3 16G. Long story short, I've just finished a rebuild with Forged CP pistons, ARP Studs, DW65c fuel pump, ID 1000cc injectors, MRT (PW) TMIC with 3-inch TBE. Tuned by S&J here in Adelaide with ECUTEK + RaceRom 'safely' for road with our BP 98RON, and 'safely' for track on E85. Full details on the Forester and all mods >>>here<<< if you need. Very happy with the results...

http://beanstalk.com.au/personal/photos/FXT/20130528_SJ_ECUTEK_Power_AFR_psi_web.jpg

I'm talking about the BNR. I've read posts on here that's its not really the Evo 3 but I called them and they said it was.

Earlier models used the EvoX compressor and later ones the EvoIII.

< Pulling 320whp from the EvoX version.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

That's pump gas, on Dynojet settings. Knock a little off for compensations...

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=137906&d=1356968890

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

It's VirtualDyno. I started using this from the baseline, through stage tunes, and onto the plot you see above. Same parameters, same test track, same everything. Of course this is my best pull ever, the coldest day of the year etc., and it's my own car, so I have plenty of time to massage the tune. The baseline and stage numbers were very much in the usual range, and I use this as tool for making comparisons during the tuning process, which is what it's meant for. I should get the chance to run it on a Dynopack in the next few months for sng.

I have also tested a bunch of different 16G turbos... 7cm2 and 8cm2 housings, billet and cast compressors, standard MHI turbines and aftermarket low blade-count items. The BNR did as well as any of them and was better than many.

:dm: So my VF46 curls its blades and I was hoping..., now it is going to be a paper weight 'cause Brian doesn't do coresany more unless asked to...., boooo hoooo. :icon_cry: Wait a sec..., I've not read of BNR ever using a a '46 core? :iam: Say Brian this may be a bit off topic but have you ever done a VF46 cover with any of your centers and hotsides? :bbq: