LegacyGT.com

Vf38 turbo is really bad???!?!?!

My car is still being fixed, but ive learnt so much about it while its been broken...

He told me a few things about my car.

This Quoted text is from a Subaru Shop in NZ.

QUOTE:

the biggest issue they have is their turbo – the dreaded VF38. It’s the only model that Subaru released with this turbo. There is no simple replacement of these turbos as they always destroy themselves. It is a stupid design with a completely custom exhaust flange and compressor flange. We have just done a replacement job on a BP replacing headers, turbo and top mount intercooler and jeebus it is now impressive.

Is that correct???

If so what should i do or need to do to either fix it or stop it becoming a problems

• 2 years later...
I just had my 2012 GT tuned at Torque Performance in Auckland (completely stock with just a tune - Whoa!! Great results! But that's another story for another time). The bloke that did the tune has a gen 5 LGT with the same VF38 turbo as ours. He was very positive about it. Next time I talk to him I'll ask if he's heard about the issues your mechanic reports.

I always thought only 4th gens had vf38's. Surely no one would be mad enough to voluntarily put one in when much better vf44/vf45's are available if you were mad keen to go with that style turbo. Edited by Andy_Mac

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

I was just going to say I'd be really surprised if NZ 5th gens came with a VF-38, as this would suggest they have the oldskool remote turbo location instead of the nuskool location in front of the oil pan.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I can do a rebuild on a VF38. It's the same basic internals as the VF40/46 but the hard part is getting it to me. Hell, it costs me an extra $60 just to ship a turbo into Canada, let alone down under.

You can PM me if you want to chat about these things and I can tell you how they are built.

The VF-54 seems pretty tough. Lots of customers at Stage2 for 50,000km+

The one I saw that was rough had been run with a shitty mushroom filter and had horrible erosion on the compressor blades. Bearings were still good at 140,000km.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 4 years later...

Try find one of the other turbo’s that come with the JDM models. None of them have the same problems that the 38’s do.

They are:

VF44 - Facelift auto/manual

VF45 - Facelift auto/manual

TD04-HLA - Pre-facelift manual

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness