LegacyGT.com

Two rattles - anyone have these?

I've got about 15k miles on my LGT and two rattles are eating away at me:

1. Sort of a squeak / rattle coming from dash right around center pocket (where a nav unit would have gone) when I go over even a small bump. It doesn't happen all the time, seems to be more consistent when the car is warmed up.

2. A consistent quiet buzz / rattle coming from passenger side visor. If I extend the visor extension, the buzz seems to go away. If I tap the visor lightly with my knuckle it makes a cheap rattling noise. If I tap the other (driver) visor, it sounds solid.

Has anyone had any experience with these? Seems my dash rattle is different than others I've read about in that I think it's related to the center pocket, not where the dash presses against the windshield, etc.

I have those same rattles on my car.

The dash rattle is infamous on these cars and in most cases(the ones I have seen at work) require the dash pins to be lubricated. It all depends on what is causing the issue.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I don't have those rattles but i do have

1. auto-dimming mirror rattle

2. center console. if i push on the silver piece just in front of the "garage door" it goes away.

3. defroster trim piece by the windshield

they don't rattle all the time just intermittently when it gets really cold.

After hearing about rattle problems I finally got one on the left side of the dash. Mine was partly attributed to worn out tires creating a specific vibration or frequency. Very annoying but I could stop it by just placing my hand at the juncture with the A pillar. My fix was to wedge a little piece of Raamat vibration damper I used on my sound system. Will change out my tires soon as well. Interestingly enough I also only really get it it the mornings when its cold outside (for Fla standards-40 deg or so)

my drivers side seat squeaks a little bit

+1 on driver's side seat squeak.

My list of warranty repair/replace items for this Spring will be:

1. visor mirror rattle.

2. driver's seat squeak.

3. rim corrosion around center cap.

4. further investigation in hopes of fixing torque converter freeze. (holding breath on that one)

All in all.. not an enormous list of issues but under warranty. Service department loves getting paid for warranty work.

Mine rattles above the far left dash vent, passenger visor extension, passenger seatbelt adjustment, center arm rest and probably other places that I can't remember. It's an 08 with 13k miles. Subaru fit and finish sucks. The wheels also have corrosion around the center capS despite washing it all the time.

+45

I have an 09 LGT with 13.5K miles on it, and these rattles really pi$$ me off to no end, for a 30K car.

I have my car in today for the squeeky seat, the rattle by climate contorls/ashtray, rattle in driver side a-pillar (already had the passenger side done), the vibration of the windshield by the center of the dash, ididnt even look for the corrision but will.

The visor sounds like maybe one of tracks that the visor slides on is broken.

habitual derail-er

I had an insanely annoying rattle from the left corner of my dash....every bump crack dip in the road made it happen....i tried a few solutions....i ended up tracing it to the dash panel closest to the windshield...i removed it and installed 3m adhesive foam tape on the edge....to tighten the fit it seemed to work great.

I also had one at the arm rest lid...i had to adj/mod the striker where the latch had a small gap in it...

however i dont have the visor rattle yet that is....knock knock

42K miles on my one-owner 2005. Only rattle has also been from the left hand corner of the dash. I stuffed in some 3M foam weatherstripping between the dash edge and the windshield a couple of years ago, and that seems to have taken care of the problem, even with our weather extremes here. I've driven this car on a record -44F January morning as well as a +105 summer afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
i have this freakin annoying rattle coming from (i believe) the trunk lid or somewhere on the rear deck by the 3rd brake light. it sounds like a couple of nails in a pie tin. only does it when i shut the trunk or sometimes while driving on a bumpy road. anyone else?

i have this freakin annoying rattle coming from (i believe) the trunk lid or somewhere on the rear deck by the 3rd brake light. it sounds like a couple of nails in a pie tin. only does it when i shut the trunk or sometimes while driving on a bumpy road. anyone else?

I have that same rattle! Do you notice it when you fold the rear seats back up too? I've been trying to figure out what is causing it but so far my best guess is the tension rods for the trunk under the rear deck. I haven't done a lot of experimenting yet though. :confused:

+45

I have an 09 LGT with 13.5K miles on it, and these rattles really pi$$ me off to no end, for a 30K car.

I have my car in today for the squeeky seat, the rattle by climate contorls/ashtray, rattle in driver side a-pillar (already had the passenger side done), the vibration of the windshield by the center of the dash, ididnt even look for the corrision but will.

The visor sounds like maybe one of tracks that the visor slides on is broken.

My squeeky seat needs to be replaced. From what I have read, some have faulty seat rails. Does anyone know if there was a service bulletin for this problem?

^ I don't believe their is a service bulletin but the dealer is going to replace bot sets of rails on my seat, I will report back if it fixes the problem or not. I hope to have it done by next week (rails are on back order, or so the stealership says).
habitual derail-er

I just bought a used 09 Legacy which I'm very happy with; however, I noticed a slight rattle coming from the right side, only when there's no passenger. Today as a test I buckled the passenger seat belt, when driving alone, and that eliminated the rattle. Had the same issue with my last car so maybe seat belt rattles are common.

I have that same rattle! Do you notice it when you fold the rear seats back up too? I've been trying to figure out what is causing it but so far my best guess is the tension rods for the trunk under the rear deck. I haven't done a lot of experimenting yet though. :confused:

power4, i havent done that much experimenting. but it is going to be something i tackle in the next few weeks as the weather is getting better and it will be time for a summer detail soon!

Archived