LegacyGT.com

Protection for new Legacy (clear bra)

HeavyB

Is there any reason not to have a clear bra package installed immediately after receiving your new Legacy? I'd like to get tinted windows and a clear bra package installed ASAP on my future Legacy GT wagon. Any idea how much this might cost? Also, how long do you think it will take for the templates for the clear bras for the 05' Legacy to be available after they start selling here? TIA Cheers, HeavyB

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure how much it will cost or how long it will take. I also am very interested in getting the stoneguard-type of clean bra on the car to reduce paint chips and increase longevity of the body.

I'm with both you guys. I'll likely go with Stongard as they are located just a mile or so from me. That and they sponsor Subiegal! :wink: As for prices, looks like a full kit plus headlights runs about $500 for the 2003 Legacy. I can't imagine it would be much more. I would think installation is on top of that as well. Maybe pose this question to your dealer or "gasp" the "region" boards over at NASIOC. -Ian

Hi Guys 3M clear film protection applied on the first 5" or 6" on the hood works pretty good as well. It does the job and according to a cop I talked to last summer, if this film is applied to a window, it'll be quite difficult for the glass to break even if you hit the window with a baseball bat. I'm definitely going to have this done on my new Legacy to include possibly the whole front (including the bumper) and the back of side mirrors. This is to prevent rock chips on the front end of the car as we have quite a bit of gravel on the roads in the winter time.

I would wonder, long-term, how the clear film looks. If it fades or gets discolored, you have two different-looking portions of car. Also, when the film itself takes the chips that the car's paint would have taken, does it start to look every bit as bad as the car might look? Dunno... Kevin

Kev The clear film that I saw on a WRX which has it for a couple of years last summer didn't look too bad. In fact it's hardly noticable at all unless you run your hands over it. This has worked good in many cars in the last number of years and a good alternative to the regular bras that cars sports.

I'll definitely agree there shelltox, it does look rather good. I've heard the 3M one at least isn't for white cars, might appear slightly yellowish. Otherwise, it's pretty seamless. Looks really nice IMO and really does help to reduce the rock chips and such. Indeed MUCH better looking than those unsightly black fabric or whatever bras.

My clear bra 2 cents. I am sure that some are good but the ones that I have seen over time look very bad. We just had a 2002 Z28 SS that looked great but the clear bra on the hood was pealing off. So we removed it and it took a few hours to get all the glue off. Some after time will turn yellow and if you dont remove bugs from it they can turn... and color it black and tarry. When you wax the car the wax ends up sticking to the edges of the clear bra... on a Dark color car... Does not look good. IMO its like gluing a clear garbage bag to your shirt and claiming you want gets stains on you shirt. Sure you wont get stains but dude that clear bag looks like poo. Now this is my opinion on this and like I mentioned , other companies may make better products than I have seen. But when I am appraising a 3 or 4 year old car I will deduct money from the appraisal if it has a clear bra that doesnt look 100% perfect. A customer will buy a used car with a few paint chips but and yellow dingy clear bra they wont buy.

Hmm, I have seen quite a few cars with these clear bras (tons of Audi A4s around here have them) and I can't say I've seen any that have turned yellow (although most of them are pretty new cars). Living here in The Rockies, I can say that I've seen the front end of a lot of cars that aren't protected look like poo, like my wife's blue Outback. I gues the clear bra might be the lesser of several evils. Cheers, HeavyB

Especially knowing the outstanding quality of Subaru paint jobs, I would definitely get stonegard or similar. My dad had it done to his G35 coupe as soon as he got his last August before any kits had been made yet. There was a guy who just applied the 3M to all of the front bumper and part of the hood. It's definitely worth it, and it looks better on lighter cars. A few hours to take off the glue is better than the money and time spent repainting.

I'm thinking Stongard and tint will be the very first things done to my car. I'll probably try to arrange to go straight from the dealership to the tint place and have them apply it ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm no Subiegal fan, but the Rockblocker looks like the way to go. I've seen some of the older clear bra (don't think they were Rockblocker) and they got all yellowish and nasty looking- I'd imagine they have gotten better in the last couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey everyone, Maybe I can help answer some questions I see here. 3M just came out with the new version of ScotchGuard(clear bra). It is way clearer than before. There are some comment of yellowing and such. Can the product yellow? According to 3M 1 in 20,000 kits will yellow with no reason as to why, where you live or type of climate. What you want to look for is a company like us or StonGard that offers the a lifetime warranty on the film for cracking, fading and/or yellowing for as long as you own the car. Btw, the product just doesnt peel itself loose. Something has to cause that to happen. Costs can vary based upon what you are looking to get done, who you by from and the type of vehicle you want to protect. It can range from $200-1000 installed. A normal kit full kit runs $400 from us. Cant comment on the '05 Legacy yet since we havent patterned one. It is on the schedule for next week hopefuly if the dealer doesnt run out before then. The paint will fade evenly where the protect is an isnt. The film has a clear coat finish so you need to wash and wax it often just like the rest of the car. If anyone has any questions please feel free to let us know. More than happy to help. Chad

Haha, oops. I meant to ask which company he was representing. Then I checked his profile. Interesting claim he makes... With all the research money 3M has, I don't see why they can't do the same, if not better. But just call me skeptical, since it sounds really good...
-ben

FWIW, I plan on getting this and tint done ASAP once I get my new GT. Right now my Miata has a big, ugly spot on the hood about the size of a dollar bill where the clear coat was chipped and then started peeling. Given all the bugs and rocks and stuff that can get kicked up, I would rather avoid the small chips in the paint and let the clearbra take the punishment.

Archived