LegacyGT.com

Electric Pressure Washer? Good Asset?

Hi Guys! I Love the new Legacy ever since it's debut in Japan 2004. And now I am finally an owner of the new Legacy! (Well, a silver 2006 2.5i, for 5 monthes already)

Since the snow season is almost over, I had decide to start my car care ever in my life, and as i read over the old post in this fourm and OCDetails' site, I can say u guys are really good at care care. Also i realize that whatever i learn from my parents about carecare are all trash (scrub car before applying soap, sponge, dry with towel, no wax ever...), I felt sorry for my old Honda Accord that suffered for 7 years.

So... I am planning to buy the following:

1. California Waterblade

2. Wash Mitt

3. Meguiars NXT Spray Wax (i am lazy, i dun wanna apply paste-type)

Now i have 2 questions:

1. Is a pressure washer going to be a good investment or is it bad for car paint/ sealant? I am planning to wash my care once a week in summer (depends on dust and rain)

Jobmate 1500 Electric Pressure Washer

2. What should i use for tire cleaning and shine? Would this thing do any good?

Simoniz® Foam Tire Care

Thank you so much for taking your time to read over this post! Any help would be much appreciated!

Awesome to have. Basically if your'e not an idiot, it's safe. (Don't spray real close to the car)

Ya.. as i read about those pressure washer from Gas station are harmful... but i thought i can use soap first, then use the pressure washer to blast off the dirt, as well as the wheels, and most important.. the underbody?

I find that by the time you've got it all set up, you can have washed it the old fashioned way and be on to something else.

Oh... those things require setup =(

I never knew about it.. i thought it's like a booster for hose, i was thinknig to let it plug in there and not to unplug (might as well to use it to water grass as well:lol: )

It wouldn't be much use on the grass, they produce high pressure but low volume. Plus it would probably remove 6" of topsoil :lol:

I use mine to wash the driveway down, that's about it. You have to attach the water inlet hose, attach the high pressure hose, attach the wand, attach the extension cable, lay it out so all the leads don't get tangled, then start !

It wouldn't be much use on the grass, they produce high pressure but low volume. Plus it would probably remove 6" of topsoil :lol:

I use mine to wash the driveway down, that's about it. You have to attach the water inlet hose, attach the high pressure hose, attach the wand, attach the extension cable, lay it out so all the leads don't get tangled, then start !

argh... :icon_mad:

Thats not a very good idea then... sigh...

Ok. save $100 bucks on buying other product.

How bout those aerosol tire cleaner? I found them in packs of 4 in costco only cost $17.99. I thought i can use it wastefully to make my car look good, like spray my tires every week.

I use a Karcher electric on our cars....our water pressure stinks for some reason. I wet the car down, do a quick pressure sweep with med. setting and at least 18 inches away from the car. 2/3 of the surface dirt is swept away allowing less to work it's way into your wash mitt. For rinsing, I lower the pressure all the way and slough water on.....volume is better. I go back to high pressure for the final rinse....this gets most water off the car allowing for quicker drying.

You do have to be careful and use your noggin....it's easy to screw up if you don't.

How bout those aerosol tire cleaner? I found them in packs of 4 in costco

There is one for each tire. Make sure you label them so you don't get them mixed up and whatever you do don't use any of them on the spare.

It is still ugly.

I use a Karcher electric on our cars....our water pressure stinks for some reason. I wet the car down, do a quick pressure sweep with med. setting and at least 18 inches away from the car. 2/3 of the surface dirt is swept away allowing less to work it's way into your wash mitt. For rinsing, I lower the pressure all the way and slough water on.....volume is better. I go back to high pressure for the final rinse....this gets most water off the car allowing for quicker drying.

You do have to be careful and use your noggin....it's easy to screw up if you don't.

ohhh!! u have a mini cooper too!! Ya! my parents have a mini cooper and i thought i a pressure washer could make it less work for them if they decide to wash cars on their own...

Hmmm. pressure control and distance.. ya. seems a good idea, i guess people are shaking their heads coz it take risk to find the optimal pressure?

I really dunno, i just thought that would be a economical product to save on water and time as in general...

There is one for each tire. Make sure you label them so you don't get them mixed up and whatever you do don't use any of them on the spare.

sorry are u actually saying that in a sarcastic way? I was thinking of spliting it between the cars in my house, it's a way better deal in costco as it's in bulk, also i am so newbie that i dunno how long each canister would last... so if i was being stupid i apologize. I am not going to waste product, especially aerosol that would damage the atmosphere.

I actually have one. It's a 1,500 psi (really 1,300, I think) Campbell Hausfeld I bought for $150 at WalMart. The Karcher ones don't hold up well an customer service is poor according to the OPE sites I checked out. Home Depot has some on clearance for $99, btw.

I've also used a 6.5hp 2,700psi gas model and a 4,000 psi on boats.

Pros:

Relatively cheap compared to gas.

Quieter than gas - you can use it at 0 dark thirty without the neighbors throwing things at you.

You use a lot less water for most jobs.

Fast and easy to set up. I put the cord on a reel.

Does a great job around the house - car, engine compartment, snow blower, floor mats, outdoor toys, and I cleaned 30 feet of stockade fence, both sides. Also cleaned the topsides and inside of a 21' center console.

Cons:

Not as fast or powerful as gas if you need to clean large areas.

Won't take off paint.

No provision for hot water.

It's not powerful enough to remove paint unless it's blistered. I suppose there is a way that you could damage your car with it. It works great on wheels and underhood. It works great on bird doo. My standard tip sprays in a linear pattern like a paint spray gun, so if you back off a foot it does a good job rinsing.

Just did my rubber floor mats yesterday and they worked great. I'm bringing it to work to clean all our winter tires sets. I'm pleased.

I find that by the time you've got it all set up, you can have washed it the old fashioned way and be on to something else.

Try the Subaru rubber floor mats and we'll convert you. All the tight corners are a PITA otherwise. Also rims inside the spokes.

I use the coin op version in winter because they use hot water.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Might be too late, but Home Depot was recently selling their Huskey brand (1750 psi) electric for $99. I paid $149 a year ago. Nice machine. But the only advantage of using one on a car is perhaps some water savings. As stated earlier, set up and tear down will add some time. I can see using it to clean layers of mud from the wheel wells.

Lighten up, I'm just having a little fun with you. Seriously, I have a small electric pressure washer (Karcher) and it is good for a lot of things, but I rarely use it on the cars. Nothing really removes road film like "touching" the car with a wash mitt and physically removing the grime. The one thing I do like the pressure washer for is if the car is really plastered with bugs. Then go over it again by hand. A pressure washer will not really save you any time with the regular maintenance car washes. If you do use one on the under carriage, be careful as it will strip off undercoating and seam sealers (even the small low pressure washers will do damage).
It is still ugly.

we bought some quick release collets for the hose. So, setup/tear down is the same as a normal hose alone, except we plug the pressure washer in...not a big deal.

Ahhhhhh... perfect :icon_lol:

My mum have many of those quick release hose connectors that she use for gardening... she will definitely be able to provide me with any hose connectors and extension...I am so gonna get one now... Time to wash everywhere once i get it setup...

Thx VVG for your detail analysis on pressure washer, i live on a very straight street that attract loads of wind, and the hose appearantly does not have enough pressure to blow onto the car to get off the suds (sometimes the wind blows the water back onto me...), and i hope this machine will also work to clean 2nd floor windows, window screen, and whatever that could be cleaned.

I would give the product a try, if it doenst fit, by all means i can return it and buy sth better to clean the car.

forget about California waterblade- if there will be even a small amount of dirt on car surface -this can cause scratches. unless used just for windows - not for painted surfaces especialy cars like subaru which paint quality leaves a lot to wish..... just be careful with it.

ya i just bought the pressure washer last weekend and are gonna test this machine out in future week.

For waterblade i think i'll save the money for some better window cleaner and possibly wax. I found out i still have like 5 pieces of brand new "assorber" type cloth at home that i could make use of.

Thx VVG for your detail analysis on pressure washer, i live on a very straight street that attract loads of wind, and the hose appearantly does not have enough pressure to blow onto the car to get off the suds (sometimes the wind blows the water back onto me...), and i hope this machine will also work to clean 2nd floor windows, window screen, and whatever that could be cleaned.

I would give the product a try, if it doenst fit, by all means i can return it and buy sth better to clean the car.

Other than hard-to-get areas like wheels, and bugs, I mostly use it to rinse. Like someone said, it often takes contact to get off grime.

Maybe you could get a group buy on a wind sock to go on top?:lol:

I found the electric to be great for decks and stuff, we have a two story deck and I hoist it up with a line, not something I'd be wild about with a gas unit.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived