LegacyGT.com

How hard is it to do an engine swap?

I have an 05 LGT Limited but it is an Automatic. Everything is in great condition on my car but I hate that it is auto. I found a good deal on another 05 LGT 5SP same color as mine. I looked into doing a transmission swap but it looks like it would just be easier to put my engine into the manual LGT.

So if anyone can offer some insight on swapping my engine from my auto LGT into the 5SP LGT that would be appreciated

I have access to an engine hoist so that wouldn't be too much of an issue, I have just never tackled a project like this before so I'm just trying to gauge the difficulty of the swap before I purchase the other car to transplant.

The engine in the MT has 165k+ and says *needs new turbo* so depending upon how bad the turbo failure is and the price they are asking for it leads me to believe that the engine is most likely toast. But the transmission is in good shape and just got a new clutch 20k ago.

My engine only has 80k runs great and has a 16g and supporting parts on it.

• Moderators

If you have the money, why not start new with the 5mt? New shortblock, refresh the heads, install your supporting parts and turbo, and drive it.

They you'll have a 5mt with a new motor and a 5eat that you can still sell because it has a working motor as well.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Take lots of pictures, I took over 80 before and during.

Plan, think about the process, if you have a decent set of tools, it should be easy. See the hint about raising the back of the car to get the input shaft at a better angle into the clutch. Took me a few minutes to figure that one out. FWIW, I did most of the work by myself.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Your welcome, You need to look at as a long term investment to justify the labor and expense.

Do it right the first time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived