LegacyGT.com

EVO Vs. STi Vs. Legacy GT

You really need to sit down and decide what you want out of the car. For me the evo would not even be a consideration but again, it's what YOU want that's important. The STi is a very extreme machine that has a TON of performance features. You sacrafice a lot of creature comforts though. The ride is going to be more harsh, if you live in snowy area then you need to buy new tires asap. You are basically buying subaru's budget platform with a whole bunch of go-fast-bits. Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE the STi and indeed had a white/gold one on order but never took delivery because I bought a new house. The GT will give you world class performance and handling while still maintaining a dignified ride. You can drive it like a sports car and then drive it like a luxo-cruiser. The interior qualities aren't even close between the two.. the GT is MILES ahead.. The evo on the other hand is kinda ugly.. at least this version is. It also is going to have a much harsher ride than the STi.. but it handles like a maniac from what I read.

Where does the Evo come in? Personally I'm feeling okay with being a little older and not wanting a little more pampering in my car. I'm not about to get a Lincoln or anything, but both the Evo and STi are a little too spartan, a little too harsh, and a little too small for me as a daily driver. I'm sure I'll be more than happy with the combination of comfort and performance that the Legacy GT promises.

agreed.. I am wanting something a little more day to day friendly. I think even my wrx is getting to be a little much for me. I need a cruiser that will be able to haul my stuff and yet haul some arse when I feel like roosting a local ricer :lol: It will also be very nice to go on long road trips in my wagon and not feel like I am going to have spinal damage from the harsh ride.

IMO stock the WRX is a good compromise between ride and handling. I will never be able to go back to a car that isn't properly damped, I hate that floaty freeway feeling, I'd much rather feel bumps and ripples, that way I feel connected to the road. I remember all the Mags saying that the ride was on the harsh side with 17's.

I have a few suspension componets that kind like change the car in addition to the short shifter, Sway bars, Antilift kit, STi engine/tranny mounts, 17 inch P1's with Azenis. Somehow it is not hard by any means but I would not call it soft either. Here current ride is a Grand Cherokee (I call it the floater :) ). PS: She is the one insisting on the cushier/more amenities vehicle (her suggestion was Volvo S60R mine was the STi. Now alternatechoice the Lagacy GT).

The only other car that I am considering is the Murano. I think those things are sweet.. but I am gonna sacrafice a TON of performance with a higher price tag if I do. If I was going to get a pure SUV for hauling household wares and dogs, then I would get a 4runner, but the GT wagon will probably be exactly what I am looking for.

[quote name='SUBE555']If I was having both, a Leg GT Wagon or WRX STi Wagon along with a people/stuff-hauler like a Honda Pilot. That's my pics.[/quote] Wagon and SUV? Why wagon, if there is SUV in picture? Sedan is lighter and has cleaner lines. I always had imression that wagon's are for people that want car not SUV but can't get both...

Well, part of the wagon factor is the unsuspecting side of things. That's priceless in itself. I tend to be hauling this or that around, so it always seems to come in handy, besides, more headroom for those rear passengers. ;) The SUV is if/when I get married and had kids. Good X-country trip vehicle for 4.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='SUBE555']What does she drive now? It's so odd to me, I think the WRX is a cushy ride, sort of hard comprehending what cushy is to them, at least in my book.[/quote] I agree... the WRX feels soft now. What are you driving now? The WRX feels soft because the cars I have been driving for the past few years are not. I am wondering if this is the same case with you?

[quote name='cotmfk'][quote name='labowbow']or you can wait for Sti version of Legacy[/quote] Is this coming to the US?[/quote] No. What might show up is a 3.0R, essentially Spec B suspension bits and 18" wheels with the flat six engine and the six-speed box from the STi, that Subaru showed at the Geneva auto show. I don't even think that an official STi Legacy exists in Japan yet. There have been pictures posted of a Legacy with STi plate holders and badging, but those have in fact been "tuned by STi," vs an official STi model. Kevin

[quote name='cotmfk'][quote name='SUBE555']What does she drive now? It's so odd to me, I think the WRX is a cushy ride, sort of hard comprehending what cushy is to them, at least in my book.[/quote] I agree... the WRX feels soft now. What are you driving now? The WRX feels soft because the cars I have been driving for the past few years are not. I am wondering if this is the same case with you?[/quote] The WRX feels soft because the stock suspension IS soft. Always has been. It has only recently been rectified with the '04s, and still not so much that civilians (sports-minded ones) won't find the car appealing. Also keep in mind that hard doesn't always mean good handling. My WRX with DMS Golds with 180/180 spring rates, handled much better than the same car with Tein HAs, sporting 450/375 spring rates. My car's setup now is firm, not hard, but the handling is excellent. And they are all Subaru parts, except for a Cusco lower frame brace. Kevin

Archived