LegacyGT.com

Legacy Aftermarket deck faceplate ?

I just installed an aftermarket (single DIN) Kenwood deck in mine. It was practically a perfect fit, but I did need to widen out the hole in the trim piece for the radio faceplate as it was slightly wider than the OEM faceplate. Just took a few minutes with my Dremel tool. Actually the new deck really good in the Legacy since the faceplate is mostly all black like the original.

Don't cut the dash trim. It's an ISO mount radio. The Sony radio trim won't be needed. I've seen so many people needlessly cut up a dash, only to rarely have it look OK. If you insist on using the Sony trim, try to modify the trim to fit the car, not the car to fit the trim.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

I needed to cut the dash trim to put the new Kenwood in last weekend- its faceplate was clearly a bit wider than the OEM radio. I trimmed it with my Dremel tool and the Kenwood also had a piece of trim that snapped in place over the molding so you can't see where I cut it. I'm guessing the Kenwood has a standard size single DIN faceplate where the OEM Subaru radio might be a little bit smaller, but I could be wrong.

The radio chassis sizes are the same. The faceplate trim is used when using the mounting sleeve instead of the side ISO mount screws in the factory brackets.

As long as it came out good then that's what matters now. I doubt you'll be re-installing the factory deck ever

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived